PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Draft Discussion: Let's RESTACK for Day 2 - Best of the Rest

VJCPatriot

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
So now that the exciting 1st round has ended, there's still a lot of good players left on the board.

On Day 2 all of the 2nd and 3rd round players will be picked.

The Patriots have a lot of draft ammo that they can use to move up as necessary.

Most relevant:

Round 2 (46)
Round 3 (76, from Panthers)
Round 4 (107, from Rams)
Round 4 (117)
Round 4 (120, from Steelers)
Round 4 (135, compensatory)

So the Patriots can easily move up on Day 2 if need be.

Who do you want them to target?

Let's look at the best available of the remaining top 100. If there are any I missed please point out any other prospects we should take an interest in drafting.

WR: Josh Downs, Tyler Scott, Jalin Hyatt, Jayden Reed, Rashee Rice, Marvin Mims, Cedric Tillman, Parker Washington, Nathaniel Dell

TE: Michael Mayer, Sam Laporta, Luke Musgrave, Tucker Kraft

OL: O'Cyrus Torrence, Steve Avila, John Michael Schmitz, Cody Mauch, Matthew Bergeron, Joe Tippmann, Blake Freeland, Nick Saldiveri, Chandler Zavala, Dawand Jones

DL: Adebawore, Tuli Tuipulotu, Karl Brooks, Gervon Dexter Sr., Byron Young, Zacch Pickens, Moro Ojomo, Keeanu Benton, Colby Wooden, Jaquelin Roy

Edge: Derick Hall, Keion White, BJ Ojulari, Jalen Redmond, Isaiah Foskey, Andre Carter, Byron Young, YaYa Diaby, Zach Harrison

LB: Drew Sanders, Daiyen Henley, Trenton Simpson

DB: Brian Branch, Cam Smith, Kelee Ringo, Jakorian Bennett, JL Skinner, Jartavius Martin, DJ Turner, Julius Brents, Antonio Johnson, Marte Mapu, Clark Phillips III, Ji'Ayir Brown, Darius Rush, Cory Trice, Sydney Brown, Eli Ricks, Jordan Battle

RB: Roschon Johnson, Devon Achane, Tyjae Spears

QB: Will Levis, Hendan Hooker

Alright so for Day 2 - who are your favorites, who would you like to see the Patriots draft?

Now that we've filled the CB need, I feel like WR and OT are still pressing needs.
A QB like Levis or Hooker would be a luxury pick, but not necessarily a bad idea to put more competition in the QB room, especially since we have so much ammo to make a move up.
Regardless the Patriots should look to get more athletic while filling needs that they didn't address in free agency.

Let's hope Day 2 turns out as good as Day 1 did for us!

Last edited:
2nd round WRs have always been a major disappointment during the BB era, so hopefully they don't go that way. I'd say best player available at either OT, Edge, LB, or TE that is within reasonable reach without over-reaching.

Tyler Scott Pats worked him out they saw a lot of him very Explosive Player might be fastest player in Draft. His ability after the catch is super also. Scott/Thornton Duo could be scarry.

2nd round WRs have always been a major disappointment during the BB era, so hopefully they don't go that way. I'd say best player available at either OT, Edge, LB, or TE that is within reasonable reach without over-reaching.
This year could be different if they find the Guys that fit they're many.
Jonathan Mingo
Jayden Reed
Marvin Mims
Charlie Jones

I'm happy to stick at 46 myself. There is going to be a good player there. Think we could either use one of the 4ths to move up from 76 into the late 2nd-as we did for Josh Uche or package two together to get a late 3rd. Mayer and Washington are guys we might consider trading up for but I actually really like Kraft and LePorta who both should be there at 46 and maybe even 76.

My guys on day 2: Keion White, Jonathan Mingo, Tucker Kraft, Matthew Bergeron, Josh Downs, Sam LePorta, Steve Avila, Drew Sanders, Cody Mauch.

My preferred strategy would be to stick at 46 and also trade up from 76 to the early 60s and hopefully get one of the OL and then another pass catching weapon - Mingo or Kraft ideally.

The big question is whether we would consider Levis at 46 if he fell that far.

Darnell Washington would be great at 46. Massive human, a match up nightmare plus an incredible blocker.

Others I could live with...

Brain Branch S, Bama
John Michael Schmitz (his name is my name too) you know your singing it in your head
Drew Sanders LB, Arkansas (nee Bama)
a tackle

4th

Sean Tucker RB, Syracuse (Kevin Faulk clone)

Late

Michael Turk P, Oklahoma (from a long line of punting Turks)
Jake Moody, K, Michigan

Love the position we’re in with these picks. We can easily move up and take a player we’ve targeted.

I doubt they trade up... But if they do, I would like to go after the Notre Dame TE Michael Mayer... Kinda surprised buffalo went with Kincaid over Mayer... Be a really good start to day 2

Julius Brent’s
Or trade up for Will Levis.
This is a deep draft for WRs, feel we can scratch 2 good WRs today.
Sanders or Simpson would be an awesome to get more athletic at LB.
Love the way this draft is going so far.
We nailed day 1 this far.

Washington’s floor offers something the pats need as an inline blocking TE & a redzone threat. He has the upside to be the best TE in the class.

They could draft him and one of Jones/Bergeron/Freeland via trade up and have a heck of a draft IMO.

I doubt they trade up... But if they do, I would like to go after the Notre Dame TE Michael Mayer... Kinda surprised buffalo went with Kincaid over Mayer... Be a really good start to day 2
Why?

Gesicki and Henry are already starters.

Why?

Gesicki and Henry are already starters.
Like HH don't trust him to stay healthy, is on his last year of his deal iirc... Gesicki is also signed a one year deal... Cupboard could be empty in 2024...

You got a chance to draft a really good TE, keeping him in the fold for four years... Having HH and Gesicki allows him to learn the system as TE3 this year... Worth it to me, considering the strength, or lack there of, of the offensive weaponry we currently have on the roster

Wonder if JJ can be in play on day 2, that would be awesome.

We're going to get two or possibly three (by trading a couple of the 4th rounders and maybe a sixth or two to move up) good players tonight.

My preferences are:
Musgrave, Mayer or Washington for TE's

Brian Branch to fill in for DMac

OL: John Michael Schmitz (I love that guy), Dawand Jones or Bergeron (we can also wait for day 3 for a OT if we don't trade all of our 4th rounders. I like W. Carter, Steen, Mclendon or Duncan)

WR: Hyatt, Rashee Rice or Mims (edit: forgot to J. Mingo...definitely on the want list with these other guys on day 2)

DL/LB: Drew Sanders for LB. Too many DL's to list. Can't go wrong here really. A few good Edge guys still on the board. Some good ones will be there tomorrow as well.

@VJCPatriot: Felix Anudike-Uzomah was drafted by KC with pick 31.

Last edited:

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Back