PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Draft Discussion: Let's RESTACK for Day 2 - Best of the Rest

If they stay at 46, OT Wanya Morris from Oklahoma or OT Matthew Bergeron from Syracuse are options. There’s not a lot of depth at OT.

I suspect Jaelyn Duncan OT from Maryland will be nabbed before 46.

My biggest hope, though, is we go and move up to get Darnell Washington, the behemoth TE from Georgia. Or maybe he miraculously falls into our laps like Mr. Gonzalez did in the first round.

I love Cody Mauch but the stigma of the sub 33” arms is almost a deal breaker. So he would likely be moved to LG where we already have a bloke there, Strange69.

Bergeron, Breeland, Washington, La Porta, Mayer, D Jones, Tippman, Wylper, Schmitz. Duncan are tops for me.

Wrs day 2, 3 and 4. Hyatt, Mingo, Downs, Wheaton, Scott.

there is zero need to waste a pick on a QB......they have their starter, they have a decent backup, they have a camp arm
I'm intrigued by DTR from UCLA with the cannon arm in the 6th. At worst can be a scout QB on the PS with all of the running QBs that seem to give the Pats fits.

I know very little about the draft or any of the prospects, but I stumbled on Mingo. He could be a real sleeper pick. He looks like a young Anquan Boldin. He would be a perfect fit for the Patriots' offense. I guess the knock on him is he hasn't done anything until last year and still is raw.

You got a chance to draft a really good TE, keeping him in the fold for four years... Having HH and Gesicki allows him to learn the system as TE3 this year... Worth it to me, considering the strength, or lack there of, of the offensive weaponry we currently have on the roster
No issues with a 3 TE set in that draft scenario frankly - especially with a great plus blocker in Parker outside and RB in Stevenson behind the QB - still need the OT (potential) upgrade however under those conditions.

I'm intrigued by DTR from UCLA with the cannon arm in the 6th. At worst can be a scout QB on the PS with all of the running QBs that seem to give the Pats fits.

a 6th or 7th isn't really a wasted pick, those are all pretty much wasted haha (current history aside)

i'm interested to see where they see value to make moves.......they are not making 12 picks in this draft

i'm interested to see where they see value to make moves.......they are not making 12 picks in this draft
Let's not forget restocking for next year too. Assets are not just chained to moving up in the current year.

I doubt they trade up... But if they do, I would like to go after the Notre Dame TE Michael Mayer... Kinda surprised buffalo went with Kincaid over Mayer... Be a really good start to day 2
I'd like Mayer, Mauch, Branch, Mims is fast I like him today, Dawand Jones is a giant of a man, he'd be fun to watch. Trenton Simpson is supposed to be good in coverage, so that might be a good fit. I think there's a multitude of players they could pick tonight that will help them immediately. Getting Gonzalez last night is a real coup for them and allows them to really still take BPA.

Let's not forget restocking for next year too. Assets are not just chained to moving up in the current year.
BB tends to draft with the next year in mind. So think DT (Guy is not getting younger) and TE in addition to OT and WR

Whaleeeeeee good morning fellow Pats, and what a glorious morning it is. Woke up this morning with a feeling of relief and excitement instead of the usual “What in the **ck did Bill do last night” feeling. I can get used to this feeling. And we truly have the ability to go get any player we want with our boatload of 4th and 6th rounders. Now I am perfectly aware that BB is probably getting a bit twitchy and is gonna pick that WTF player tonight because we’ll that’s what BB does. All I know is we got a stud CB and I couldn’t be happier.

yeah, that's why i said "where they see value" - if it is in moving up this year, stocking up next year, or both

i am seeing a little twitter buzz about moving up to take darnell washington in round 2....but it seems to be rich hill initiated buzz

The more I think I feel they will wait to trade up in round 3 and snap the best player available at 46. We should have either michael Mayer, washington , dawaand or Bergeron available. Jf any of these players ard available at 39 , I would advocate a trade up using out 5th round picks or the 4th round pick. Carolina has very few picks, they would definitely be open to trade for 39. Maybe our 46, 135 and a 6th rounder.

Last edited:
My Best available in order
1. Branch
2. Washington
3. Dawand Jones
4. Mayer
5. Downs
6. LaPorta
7. Adebawore
8. Musgraves
9. Bergeron
10. Mauch
11. Ojulari
12. Benton
13. Tuipulotu

Like HH don't trust him to stay healthy, is on his last year of his deal iirc... Gesicki is also signed a one year deal... Cupboard could be empty in 2024...

You got a chance to draft a really good TE, keeping him in the fold for four years... Having HH and Gesicki allows him to learn the system as TE3 this year... Worth it to me, considering the strength, or lack there of, of the offensive weaponry we currently have on the roster
The "learning" piece is underrated - it's been said many times that TE is one of the hardest roles on the Pats to learn because you need to understand what the line is doing and also need to learn the routes too.

The "learning" piece is underrated - it's been said many times that TE is one of the hardest roles on the Pats to learn because you need to understand what the line is doing and also need to learn the routes too.
agreed... it takes time to learn the TE role, hence the TE3... didnt want to assume Mayer could jump in as a starter right away, though i do believe he has the potential / skill set...

Last edited:

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/9: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/8: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 5/7: News and Notes
What Did Tom Brady Say During His Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Drew Bledsoe Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast? Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Belichick Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
Back