PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Draft Discussion: Let's RESTACK for Day 2 - Best of the Rest

agreed... it takes time to learn the TE role, hence the TE3... didnt want to assume Mayer could jump in as a starter right away, though i do believe he has the potential / skill set...
The point of a TE is as an emergency backup and perhaps another player for our jumbo sets.

This pick would be primarily for 2024 when we are likely to lose one of our starters.

I would be happy with:
Dawand Jones although he might end up as strictly a RT in the NFL.
Darnell Washington physical freak at TE who can block and can develop in the passing game.
Josh Downs little guy but would gives us some much needed quickness in the middle of the field.
Tyler Steen from Alabama may be a reach in the second but Billy O may cause us to grab him slightly early.
Is your position that we don't need a RT for 2023-2026?

The point of a TE is as an emergency backup and perhaps another player for our jumbo sets.

This pick would be primarily for 2024 when we are likely to lose one of our starters.
Ask Tom Brady what the point of a TE is...

They can be as much an offensive weapon as the can be a 6th OL-man... and if you get the right guy, they can be both

And if you are thinking we need a TE in 2024, we are much better off getting them in the fold now

Last edited:
Why is everyone so hot to use those 4th round draft picks to move up. I, on the other hand, would rather use those picks to ADD another top 100 pick today. I'd wager if we stay where we are we can add 2 players MOST people will be happy with. My goal would be to see us add a 3rd guy.

Still SO many decent prospects left. Groh stated that this was "the heart of the draft"

Among players I'd love to see come to us today. Tucker Kraft, Andre Carter, Blake Freeland Bedard called Kraft the most Gronk-like TE. He also turned down a NIL deal to transfer to Alabama last season

Carter can be a better version of Detrich Wise. 6'7 edge with room to grow.

Freeland is another raw OT prospect. Think Volmer

Tomorrow, when we will have national take a shot day, I want to see us take a shot at the D2 QB late in round 6 and take the punter in round 7.

Last edited:
Hopefully there is an early run on DBs, QBs ant IOl:
Levis, Hooker
Porter Jr., Branch, (Ringo and Cam Smith maybe)
Torrence, JM Schmitz, Avila, Mauch

One of these maybe at 46:
TE: Mayer, Washington, Musgrave
WR: Downs, Hyatt, Tillman
T: Jones, Bergeron
Edge: Ojulari, White, Hall (amazing story on this young man by the way)
LB: Sanders, Simpson

Henry likely gone next season, I’d love to bring in Washington.

Ask Tom Brady what the point of a TE is...

They can be as much an offensive weapon as the can be a 6th OL-man...

And if you are thinking we need a TE in 2024, we are much better off getting them in the fold now
BOB's Offense thrives off Good TE play a lot of Guys are still there and we can get the pick of the litter...Washington - Mayer - Musgrave and Kraft just to name a few.

Is your position that we don't need a RT for 2023-2026?
I think right now we need a RT more than a LT to be honest. I would be fine taking Jones as a RT I just don't think he can play both sides from what I read his foot speed may not be there to keep up with the better pass rushers.

I hope you’re all ready for Marte Mapu tonight

I think right now we need a RT more than a LT to be honest. I would be fine taking Jones as a RT I just don't think he can play both sides from what I read his foot speed may not be there to keep up with the better pass rushers.
Agreed that said there are couple of Big Boys I think can be Coached up now that we have a real OL Coach in Klemm ie...Matthew Bergeron and Jaelyn Duncan. :cool:

Julius Brent’s
Or trade up for Will Levis.
This is a deep draft for WRs, feel we can scratch 2 good WRs today.
Sanders or Simpson would be an awesome to get more athletic at LB.
Love the way this draft is going so far.
We nailed day 1 this far.
Sanders or Simpson for me. Would like Moody and Turk or Korsak tomorrow. Big body in the middle of the DL.

If they add someone who can block that guy will play immediately in run sets. Neither of our starting TE are in line TE and Gesicki will line up like a receiver in almost all his sets.

I think a TE can make an immediate contribution in 2023 and then become the number one guy in 2024.

There aren't that many positions where the Pats can draft someone and they won't have veterans ahead of them on the depth chart. Edge is a long term need but for 2023 a drafted edge would be behind Judon, Uche and Wise. Draft a receiver and that guy is probably our WR 5 while he learns the system. The biggest need for 2023 is at OT, but I think it's fine if they draft a long term starter that will take a year to be ready to start.

The team is currently pretty deep with only 15 open roster spots left. Almost every position drafted will need to pass veterans on the depth chart to play which is how it should be imo.

Looking forward to rounds 2 and 3 tonight (albeit recorded for tomorrow am) , I just think these rounds are more interesting for some reason.

Tons of great suggestions here already. I'll put in a plug for the Brown twins from Illinois.

I see us trading two fourths to trade for another 3rd.

Or we will use at least one 4th to move up.

There are some TE's and OT's that could be good values for us.

I could see a WR or TE at 46. The pickings get much thinner later than that.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/8: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 5/7: News and Notes
What Did Tom Brady Say During His Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Drew Bledsoe Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast? Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Belichick Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Back