PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Draft Discussion: Let's RESTACK for Day 2 - Best of the Rest

Ask Tom Brady what the point of a TE is...

They can be as much an offensive weapon as the can be a 6th OL-man... and if you get the right guy, they can be both

And if you are thinking we need a TE in 2024, we are much better off getting them in the fold now
I agree.

I would like to see a TE at 46, if one of the "top" ones are left.

I suspect that an OT or WR is more likely.

Immediate needs/ upgrades i see - ot, ilb. wr is there too , but not sure i want another day 2 guy over any of juju/parker/bourne/thornton. if getting a wr trade for jeudy or something else more convincing. P is another obvious need but not for day 2.

Looking ahead to next year - te (henry fa), edge(uche fa), og (onwenu fa), dt (Godchaux fa / replace for cheaper). Ot again (brown fa). I feel like bb will prioritize dugger ,or tag. Wr again but maybe tomorrow, plus bourne may not be tough to keep around if we want. Kicker may.

Imo team doesn’t have an obvious glaring hole so i say go with quality over need at any position above besides p/k/wr . I think we do need to come out of today with an ot though.

Last edited:
Immediate needs/ upgrades i see - ot, ilb. wr is there too , but not sure i want another day 2 guy over any of juju/parker/bourne/thornton. if getting a wr trade for jeudy or something else more convincing. P is another obvious need but not for day 2.

Looking ahead to next year - te (henry fa), edge(uche fa), og (onwenu fa), dt (Godchaux fa / replace for cheaper). Ot again (brown fa). I feel like bb wont let dugger go, or tag. Wr again but maybe tomorrow, plus bourne may not be tough to keep around if we want. Kicker may.

Imo team doesn’t have an obvious glaring hole so i say go with quality over need at any position above. I think we do need to come out of today with an ot though.
Both Parker and Bourne are playing on one year contracts so I think a Double Dip is very possible and get two really good players.

Both Parker and Bourne are playing on one year contracts so I think a Double Dip is very possible and get two really good players.

Would love to but… Haven’t drafted a successful 2nd or 3rd rd wr since , branch? Mostly Just a feeling i have admittedly but hoping we stay away there till tomorrow.

I see a lot of Potential in these two guys big play abilities galore.:cool:

Whenever you show a clip of a WR it makes me think - We can't have nice things. LOL. When's the last time the Patriots drafted a good WR? Oh wait that was Julian Edelman, round 7, 2009. 14 years ago? Dang that's a dry spell!!

dry-parched-desert-landscape-walking-footage-104717542_iconl.jpeg

Let's just say, I'm hoping we can reverse this trend. But I'm not holding my breath.

But still, the picks haven't been made yet in rounds 2 and 3, maybe we pick up a steal or two by the end of tonight?

Last edited:
Ok I am gonna punt here.

We gonna trade up 46 and one 4th rounder for 39 with Carolina - Dawaand jones

Trade 76 and fifth rounder to broncos for 68 - Sam LA Porta/ any other TE

Trade 2 fourth rounders to get to 78 - best Player available.

Why is everyone so hot to use those 4th round draft picks to move up. I, on the other hand, would rather use those picks to ADD another top 100 pick today. I'd wager if we stay where we are we can add 2 players MOST people will be happy with. My goal would be to see us add a 3rd guy.

Still SO many decent prospects left. Groh stated that this was "the heart of the draft"

Among players I'd love to see come to us today. Tucker Kraft, Andre Carter, Blake Freeland Bedard called Kraft the most Gronk-like TE. He also turned down a NIL deal to transfer to Alabama last season

Carter can be a better version of Detrich Wise. 6'7 edge with room to grow.

Freeland is another raw OT prospect. Think Volmer

Tomorrow, when we will have national take a shot day, I want to see us take a shot at the D2 QB late in round 6 and take the punter in round 7.
People get on Belichick’s very spotty record in the 2nd round (he’s certainly hit home runs, but a ton of misses too). But on the flip side, his hit rates in the 4th round are fantastic:
- 2022 Jack Jones and Bailey Zappe already have shown themselves as NFL caliber, their ceilings are still to be determined of course.
- 2021 Rham
- 2017 Wise
- 2016 Malcolm Mitchell’s injuries did him in, but along with Deion and Givens was the only rookie WR to earn Brady‘s trust and succeed.
- 2015 Trey Flowers, Shaq
- 2014 James White, Bryan Stork (SB starter, career ended by concussions)
- 2010 Aaron Hernandez
- 2005 James Sanders
- 2003 Asante Samuel
- 2002 Jarvis Green

Obviously there are misses I haven’t named, but the hit rate is really high in this round overall, with a lot of good quality players.

So while I’m happy we have extra 4th rounders to move up as ammo if someone we truly like is falling, I’m excited we have a lot of 4th round picks on principle.

People get on Belichick’s very spotty record in the 2nd round (he’s certainly hit home runs, but a ton of misses too). But on the flip side, his hit rates in the 4th round are fantastic:
- 2022 Jack Jones and Bailey Zappe already have shown themselves as NFL caliber, their ceilings are still to be determined of course.
- 2021 Rham
- 2017 Wise
- 2016 Malcolm Mitchell’s injuries did him in, but along with Deion and Givens was the only rookie WR to earn Brady‘s trust and succeed.
- 2015 Trey Flowers, Shaq
- 2014 James White, Bryan Stork (SB starter, career ended by concussions)
- 2010 Aaron Hernandez
- 2005 James Sanders
- 2003 Asante Samuel
- 2002 Jarvis Green

Obviously there are misses I haven’t named, but the hit rate is really high in this round overall, with a lot of good quality players.

So while I’m happy we have extra 4th rounders to move up as ammo if someone we truly like is falling, I’m excited we have a lot of 4th round picks on principle.
It feels more like the 4th round picks help compensate for the brain farts in round 2. LOL. But yes the 4th round track record feels better than the 2nd round, even though that shouldn't be the case because you're literally picking later in the draft.

Washington’s floor offers something the pats need as an inline blocking TE & a redzone threat. He has the upside to be the best TE in the class.

They could draft him and one of Jones/Bergeron/Freeland via trade up and have a heck of a draft IMO.

Bingo.

Left Tackle.

Weapon.

Period.

No other options need apply.

Secondary is in nice shape. Might that free up Marcus Jones to take more snaps on offense? Is that our secret weapon :)

Trade the 2nd round pick for Jerry Jeudy....make it happen Bill.

I would try first to sell them swapping 46 with 68, plus one of the 4ths, plus a conditional but guaranteed Day Two pick next year.

Ok I am gonna punt here.

We gonna trade up 46 and one 4th rounder for 39 with Carolina - Dawaand jones

Trade 76 and fifth rounder to broncos for 68 - Sam LA Porta/ any other TE

Trade 2 fourth rounders to get to 78 - best Player available.

We need a Left Tackle, not another Right Tackle. Tonight.

Better Left-Tackle protection for Mac And another, better-than-what-he-has-now Weapon for Mac should be this organization's NUMBER A-****ING-SKIPPY-ONE PRIORITY. PERIOD.

Last edited:

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Back