PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Remember when this was a Red Sox town?

The problem with the red sox is they brought in a guy to basically gut the team. Henry has been trying to play Oakland athletic and tampa bay rays style of baseball where he spends as little money as possible, but hes ****ing terrible at it.

So he brings in a GM that is really bad at scouting talent, and then he lets his home grown guys walk and signs lesser talent for just below what the home grown guys would have gotten, and everyone they bring in is absolute trash

It results in a team with no identity, and no reason to root for them. The players we like get shipped off, and the players they bring in are like walmart brand replacements.
You're seriously denigrating Henry? Really? 4WS wins after 86 years? It sounds like the darn BB sucks posts.

I take it back. There is such a thing as resting on laurels, and it's fair game 5 years after your last championship win.

That would have been been something because in the mid 70’s the “Russkies” had their best team EVER with Kharlamov (and his entire line were like the Gretzky line of ‘82) and Tretiak were on par with any NHL great at that time, Orr included.
Ha. Sacrilege, how can you say that about Orr in this town? You should be ex-communicated from the Boston sport mafia, err, community ;)

The proper pronunciation is "Rooskies":

Anyway I missed all of the Gretzky era, but I did see him on the same line with Mario Lemieux playing against the Rooskies. That was impressive.

Last edited:
I think Henry and Chaim have a 4-5 year plan that should bear fruit next year. We'll see if I'm right next year. The first to last every other year doesn't always work and kind of sucked.

I guess I'm lucky. The only time I ever listened to any sports radio was when I'm driving home after a Patriots game. Sounds like I saved myself a lot of headaches.

As for the Red Sox go I liked the Red Sox when I was a kid in the early 80's and then got really into them in the late 80's regardless of how dull baseball is. After a while I became more and more frustrated with how dumb management was being with the team. The final nail on the coffin was when they drove out a giant dump truck full of cash for the dried up corpse of Jack Clark. I just gave up on them at that point and realized I was wasting my time.

As I've been getting older my free time has been becoming a lot more valuable to me to the point that I have a really hard time watching a full live football game. Nowadays I wait until the game is over and then watch the condensed version as soon as it is available so it's just all the plays and none of the crap like someone yelling at the ref or the incessant ass kissing of whatever the latest flavor of the week player.

I love all 4 Boston teams despite the fact that I have not been in the area for a while.
Right now the Red Sox are not watchable. I check them out online and they are incredibly inconsistent.

One of my best friends had season tix to the Sox (good seats), and I just couldn't get myself to accept his invitations in '18 - even to an AL championship game! I just cared about the Pats even though the Sox were easily my favorite team 15 years earlier. Once I had kids, it was hard to follow baseball. I do have to say that the new rules to speed up the game have been good for me, personally.
Ive been to a couple of games and the clock has been huge! Ballpark by 7. Bed by 1030pm lol

Honestly, no. And I’m 31

It's directly related to demographics and societal changes.

Young people do not want to invest the amount of time it takes to follow baseball. It's like a part-time job. When there was no internet and only channels 4/5/7 what else was there to do? Slowly, as more options became available, the interest in baseball as a spectator sport has waned.

It's not the Red Sox. If anything, they were the last baseball team to continue to capture a town.

The audience is aging out.

I agree. Baseball was 'the national pastime' when we had lots of time to pass. I'm thinking not just before there was the Internet (actually, the web since the actual Internet was a 70s creation) but also no cable TV.

In my case even when we got cable TV in central CT there was no WSBK 38 so no Red Sox on the basic cable plan. You could get it if you paid extra, but there was no way my parents would do that. I knew of no kid whose family had WSBK on cable. It was seen as an extravagance. I knew one adult who did, but he had to explain to people how he justified it.

If you were a school kid back then, what did you do with your summer vacation? Baseball filled in a lot of time. 162 games meant even if your team was off, there was something going on. It also meant if you missed one game it probably didn't matter, you could catch up and not miss much. I watched a lot of NFL football because there wasn't much competition for the one TV on Sunday afternoon, but football was this thing that happened once a week and was over. It didn't have the staying power that baseball did.

Homes were lucky to have one TV, but often more than one radio. Kids didn't have cell phones, but if they were lucky they had a transistor radio, so they could listen to baseball. Given the way the AM broadcast band works, you could pick up games from far away. I remember listening to games on KMOX from St Louis, they had a signal that reached into NE on summer nights. Also all the East Coast cities usually could be heard. NY, Philadelpha, Baltimore, etc.

You didn't get instant highlights. What you got was the daily newspaper. Box scores, standings, statistics. You sat there and read. Eventually I used newspaper route money to afford Baseball Digest, a weekly magazine. It came in the mail. It gave me something to look forward to. I read it cover to cover.

We had one luncheonette in town that had a news stand with things such as Baseball Digest and, gasp, newspapers from Boston. It was as if they came from Mars. I only rarely would get one if ever. Baseball Digest was a better value for money.

I think the USA in general was a poorer place back then than it is now, at least in the places I lived. IMO relative poverty was why baseball stayed popular longer in Latin America. People were still at the point where newspapers and radios were a big part of how they got their information. Soccer was a fall/winter game, baseball a spring/summer game.

When the Yankees were great it was good for the business of being a Red Sox fan.

Those days are gone and Its going to be a long time before the Yankees win another World Series.

I used to watch and play baseball and basketball as a kid in the late 80’s-90’s and went to many Dodgers, Angles and Lakers games. That was fun. But when I started noticing the musical chairs with MLB rosters - letting fan favorite players go because of the “farm system” and teams dismantling their championship roster because the Owner was cheap (1997 Marlins), that was the beginning of the end for me. Also, there’s too many games and innings. Playoff games are even too much to watch.

Moneyball ruined baseball for me. It isn’t magic…it’s just random. So much for rbis and clutch hitting.

I can name the 1986 Sox lineup in my sleep, plus the bullpen and backups, and cannot name one player on the current team.

1986 was my first sports heartbreak and I cried like a baby when they won in 2004. Watched the three that followed, and now do not care at all.

They lost me when they let Mookie go.

Boston was a baseball town for a hundred years. It was a Red Sox town.

When was the nadir? The early sixties, with losses, a decrepit Fenway and the world moving on.

1967 - still the most important season in team history, IMO - changed all that and is the foundation for modern interest and attendance.

Ownership spent - and people came, because of popularity and FUN - it was fun to go to the ballpark.

Now, Henry isn't spending like before - not necessarily a bad thing, because a lot of the big money spent in the sport is wasted and does not lead to titles. To win today, you need to have desire - which Henry used to have - and work, and attention to detail and what's going on.

Money's an issue today as it was when they signed Soup Campbell to that big contract. But fun is what baseball fandom is all about. You can have your heart broken when your team doesn't go all the way, but you still love rooting for your team.

Ownership today in all sports assume that fans are idiotic lazy people with no interest at all in the game. People have a tendency to live up (or down) to your expectations of them.

It's not about winning a million World Series. It's about running a solid operation that people can like, respect, enjoy, root for - and be proud of.

Those things have been deemphasized in modern culture, but they didn't disappear any more than human nature.

I can name the 1986 Sox lineup in my sleep, plus the bullpen and backups, and cannot name one player on the current team.

1986 was my first sports heartbreak and I cried like a baby when they won in 2004. Watched the three that followed, and now do not care at all.

They lost me when they let Mookie go.
Mookie wasn't worth the money. There have been LOTS of down times for the Sox - mediocre .500 and even sub-.500 seasons - but the team, Fenway, the logo, the city, us - we're all here.

The sudden, precipitous drop in hope and interest in local sports is amazing:

Post-

1969 Celtics

1977 Celtics

1988 Patriots

It's been four years since the Patriots won the division, and two years since they were in the playoffs.

It's been two (2) years since the Sox were in the ALCS.

The Red Sox played in one (1) postseason series in half a century. But they were an endearing local institution.

If you want cynical, look at the Bruins. The Jacobs made insane money for nearly half a century on fan loyalty and the only reason they have one Cup is they got Recchi in his last year.

You're seriously denigrating Henry? Really? 4WS wins after 86 years? It sounds like the darn BB sucks posts.

I take it back. There is such a thing as resting on laurels, and it's fair game 5 years after your last championship win.
If Kraft fired Bill and then brought in a schmuck that couldn't scout and the patriots were finishing last in the division every year you can bet folks would be turning on Kraft.

We've seen our home grown stars leave for like the last three years, and their replacements have been horrible.

They tried to compare Chris Sale to Pedro Martinez.

I remember it was a Hockey Town in the Orr years
...and a football town in the Brady years

NFL TV ratings will always outdraw, but folks around here watch. They watch the Sox, Celts & Bruins, win or lose. It's just the saturation of media hype and overemphasis on winning instead of the game, the players and the sport is draining. Of course we want to win, stupid, but nobody always wins and we want to enjoy the game and our team regardless of whether we go all the way.

...and a football town in the Brady years

NFL TV ratings will always outdraw, but folks around here watch. They watch the Sox, Celts & Bruins, win or lose. It's just the saturation of media hype and overemphasis on winning instead of the game, the players and the sport is draining. Of course we want to win, stupid, but nobody always wins and we want to enjoy the game and our team regardless of whether we go all the way.
We are rabid and intelligent sports fans
We demand you play hard.
We reward when you do and run you out of town when you don’t
If a team in any of the four sports bring the goods you own the city

We are rabid and intelligent sports fans
We demand you play hard.
We reward when you do and run you out of town when you don’t
If a team in any of the four sports bring the goods you own the city
Concerning the demand to play hard. I remember when Yaz got the first 100K contract and got booed for not running hard to 1st base on a grounder. Now there are players making 100+ mil and the fans accept that they take games or plays off. That's true in the NBA also.

I think the rewards depend upon the owners. Mookie and Brady were run out of town soon after winning and playing hard but not by the fans.

I had a nice conversation about athletes with our sons on my birthday. Our oldest played everything and our youngest played nothing, but the youngest does like Tom Brady for some reason. I remember our oldest asking me years ago if I would want Larry Bird's autograph. I told him no, that I'd just thank him for the memories if I ran into him. I'd rather get an autograph from someone who did something important.

It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
Back