PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Yes, BB is unique in working the draft.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bill should've insisted on the Faiders' 6th-rounder instead of their 7th-rounder.
If Weird Uncle Al refused, then Bill should've told him to F off.

Only you could throw a fit over getting a 7th instead of a 6th:bricks:

The title of this thread says it well. Years from now, fans might look on this draft and marvel at how BB was able to get Cannon in the 5th. Or they might marvel at how BB was able to convert Mallett into a future 1st rounder.

All of the reasons suggested that BB didn't push for immediate contributors make sense:

• Short off-season, so how can they contribute immediately?
  • No room at the inn.
  • There just happens to usually be value in trading forward.
  • Somewhat weak draft.
The Raiders trade does look like evidence of the last point; when BB trades into next year without getting a big premium, it would seem to be a judgment on the respective strength of the drafts.

All of the reasons suggested that BB didn't push for immediate contributors make sense:

• Short off-season, so how can they contribute immediately?
  • No room at the inn.
  • There just happens to usually be value in trading forward.
  • Somewhat weak draft.
The Raiders trade does look like evidence of the last point; when BB trades into next year without getting a big premium, it would seem to be a judgment on the respective strength of the drafts.

I was a little disappointed when we didn't look for help regarding our pass rush issues but as this lockout lingers on i'm definately getting a more optimistic view on our draft. None of our rookies are really in a position where they would need to step up immediately and be day 1 starters. We have solid core of young players from a 14-2 team with more experience under their belt and returning veteran starters.

I imagine the lockout would hurt most teams alot more than it does us.

Last edited:
I was a little disappointed when we didn't look for help regarding our pass rush issues but as this lockout lingers on i'm definately getting a more optimistic view on our draft. None of our rookies are really in a position where they would need to step up immediately and be day 1 starters. We have solid core of young players from a 14-2 team with more experience under their belt and returning veteran starters.

I imagine the lockout would hurt most teams alot more than it does us.

I think it's time to put a moratorium on phrases like "we didn't look for help regarding our pass rush issues". What you really mean is that NE didn't draft an OLB.

Frankly, in the game that sticks in people's craws, NE's LB coverage, DL health and nickle coverage were the real problems, not the OLBs. Getting some semblence of health on the DL and taking Chung off the NB will do wonders for the pass rush, much more than any rookie OLB was going to do. Frankly, simple improvement and comfort in the system by the guys already here will do much more than any OLB was going provide.

And that ignores the fact that NE did, in fact, select an OLB will equal or better athletic numbers to any of the available OLBs, as well as more experience dropping into coverage than most of them. Sure, he played against some lousy competition, but when you are going for an OLB convert, tape isn't quite as helpful because most of them didn't do what you are going to ask them to do. And history shows that Carter has as much a chance as any top pick has of making his mark on the team (read: not much).

You would feel better of they selected an OLB. That's great. But to say they haven't done anything to address the pass rush issues is very short-sighted.

I think it's time to put a moratorium on phrases like "we didn't look for help regarding our pass rush issues". What you really mean is that NE didn't draft an OLB.

Frankly, in the game that sticks in people's craws, NE's LB coverage, DL health and nickle coverage were the real problems, not the OLBs. Getting some semblence of health on the DL and taking Chung off the NB will do wonders for the pass rush, much more than any rookie OLB was going to do. Frankly, simple improvement and comfort in the system by the guys already here will do much more than any OLB was going provide.

And that ignores the fact that NE did, in fact, select an OLB will equal or better athletic numbers to any of the available OLBs, as well as more experience dropping into coverage than most of them. Sure, he played against some lousy competition, but when you are going for an OLB convert, tape isn't quite as helpful because most of them didn't do what you are going to ask them to do. And history shows that Carter has as much a chance as any top pick has of making his mark on the team (read: not much).

You would feel better of they selected an OLB. That's great. But to say they haven't done anything to address the pass rush issues is very short-sighted.

I didn't expect an OLB to be honest..not early atleast. Considering how our Dline was completely destroyed last year i would've liked some fresh blood at DE.
We have guys returning but Wright remains a question mark...add a few injuries and we are ****ed one again. We are relying on some young guys who haven't shown much and old veterans who were all banged up last year.

Stats people say we were middle of the pack in sacks but did we actually create any sort of pressure when we needed it the most? Not even close. The only time we actually got close to the QB when we really needed it was Cunningham on Manning

The Jets really have the same problem as we do so it will be interesting to see how their heavy investment into the D-line will work out for them.

I didn't expect an OLB to be honest..not early atleast. Considering how our Dline was completely destroyed last year i would've liked some fresh blood at DE.
We have guys returning but Wright remains a question mark...add a few injuries and we are ****ed one again. We are relying on some young guys who haven't shown much and old veterans who were all banged up last year.

Stats people say we were middle of the pack in sacks but did we actually create any sort of pressure when we needed it the most? Not even close. The only time we actually got close to the QB when we really needed it was Cunningham on Manning

The Jets really have the same problem as we do so it will be interesting to see how their heavy investment into the D-line will work out for them.

Agreed. Wright is a question mark, but I think Ty Warren will be back to his old self. As long as one of Brace or Deaderick improve to passable starter level then things look a whole lot better.

And I agree with the sack-nuts that NE's mid pack stat total are misleading. A lot of those came after the game was already out of hand or against lines like Pitt whose suckage is compounded by a QB who can't decide to throw the ball.

At the same time, I can recall two plays very specifically from the Miami game that illustrate my main point. The first was a pass to the TE down the deep seam. On the play, both ILBs took the crossing WR (Bess) and left the TE completely uncovered. On Miami's next drive they ran the exact same play and this time one ILB took the TE (an improvement!) but nobody took Bess despite Guyton pointing and girating in Devon's direction as if someone else was supposed to be there. A short pass to Bess converted the third and long.

Those types of "keystone cop" moments happened quite a bit and disguised the fact that NE actually got some solid pressure at times, only to be thwarted when the receiver was so wide open the QB was able to make a calm toss. This was especially true in the Jet game. We all remember the plays where Sanchez had all day, but what really stuck out to me were the plays when NE got moderate pressure causing Sanchez to overthrow wide open guys. If Mark was even average, NY dumps a 40-spot on the field, and it wasn't the OLBs who FUBARed everything, it was the CBs and ILBs, along with the guys improperly named NE starting downlinemen.

I agree it will be interesting to see how NY's DL develop, but we should keep in mind that they didn't even have Brace/Deaderick/Love type guys. They were in dire need of front seven contributors. NE is in dire need of impact front seven players. It is simultaneously a minor and enormous distinction.

I believe that BB was ahead of the curve in retooling his offense on the fly....Having healthy defensive vets back such as Bodden,Wright,Ty Warren along with last years rookie crop having a full season under their belts should produce results....adding Dowling gives the D a taller DB to block throwing lanes...

A couple of youngsters in the backfield to add zip to the offensive running game should give the defense more time to grab a breather....

I'm excited to see what this year's version of the Pats can produce....

No more one and dones...PLEASE :eek:

If I may tear this thread away from "but can he rush the passer" talk back to the original topic, here's an awesome tweet on today's baseball draft:

EricStangel
Amazing: In tonight's #MLBDraft, the New England Patriots managed to stockpile 3 more 2012 #1 Draft picks.

If I may tear this thread away from "but can he rush the passer" talk back to the original topic, here's an awesome tweet on today's baseball draft:

EricStangel
Amazing: In tonight's #MLBDraft, the New England Patriots managed to stockpile 3 more 2012 #1 Draft picks.

And for those who don't know, it's especially amazing since the MLB Draft doesn't allow trades. ;)

I thought he was being sarcastic :confused3:

If he wasn't.....

It does say something that a certain amount of time you can't tell if a person is being sarcastic or not. I wish there were a rule requiring people who are being sarcastic to include a specific "smiley."

I frequently feel that posters who respond to sarcastic posts as if they were serious have been unfairly tricked.

It does say something that a certain amount of time you can't tell if a person is being sarcastic or not. I wish there were a rule requiring people who are being sarcastic to include a specific "smiley."

I frequently feel that posters who respond to sarcastic posts as if they were serious have been unfairly tricked.

Yes, that will work. :)

What about Myron Pryor? I haven't heard his name too much.

I think a healthy Cunningham will help, but think back to the days when Vrabel and McGinest were good for 10 sacks. The Pats I think need to get back to that, and with a very good secondary, that would be scary.

William Faulkner originally planned on color-coding "The Sound and the Fury," so that readers would know which narrative voice he was speaking in throughout the book. Maybe we could have a system here: sarcasm in yellow, Jet-fan bile in green, Kool-aid-ism in blue...

William Faulkner originally planned on color-coding "The Sound and the Fury," so that readers would know which narrative voice he was speaking in throughout the book. Maybe we could have a system here: sarcasm in yellow, Jet-fan bile in green, Kool-aid-ism in blue...

Ooh, could we have special colors for "obsessive rant" or "can he rush the passer"?

edit: just to clarify, the above was written in yellow. very dark yellow.

Last edited:
Ooh, could we have special colors for "obsessive rant" or "can he rush the passer"?

edit: just to clarify, the above was written in yellow. very dark yellow.

Fixed it for you.

Though maybe we could re-think the colour scheme as yellow is awful on the eyes...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey