PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Wynn Expected to Return Next Week

In otas? Bit of a stretch.
From Mike Reiss this morning.

3. Post-McDaniels era: How has the transition been without Josh McDaniels at offensive coordinator? Spending time with Bourne last week at the 47th annual Big Brothers Big Sisters of Eastern Massachusetts Golf Classic, he shared one player's perspective.

"It's been dope so far. Joe Judge, our newest member [of the staff], he's doing a great job," Bourne said. "Really just new terminology, new words. Football is football, so it's just about learning the new words, and getting the old words out. And it's applying my abilities to the new system."

——————————————————————

I’m sure it’s not changing drastically, and it might just be in reference to the receivers, idk. But, in the off chance there are changes to how the OL will handle responsibilities and communicate with one another, having Wynn there would’ve been a benefit.

From Mike Reiss this morning.

3. Post-McDaniels era: How has the transition been without Josh McDaniels at offensive coordinator? Spending time with Bourne last week at the 47th annual Big Brothers Big Sisters of Eastern Massachusetts Golf Classic, he shared one player's perspective.

"It's been dope so far. Joe Judge, our newest member [of the staff], he's doing a great job," Bourne said. "Really just new terminology, new words. Football is football, so it's just about learning the new words, and getting the old words out. And it's applying my abilities to the new system."

——————————————————————

I’m sure it’s not changing drastically, and it might just be in reference to the receivers, idk. But, in the off chance there are changes to how the OL will handle responsibilities and communicate with one another, having Wynn there would’ve been a benefit.
"Football is football"

That pretty much sums it up for me

But it should be disclosed to the team and they can let reporters know when asked to avoid this unnecessary noise
By what rules "should" such things be disclosed?

I don't disagree with the point that fans want greater transparency into the everyday goings on of the team and its players, but the same with everyday life there's a massive spectrum of personalities that run from massively extroverted and wanting to share every detail (desired or not) to introverted that don't want anything released whatsoever whether mandated or not.

Secondly, it's common knowledge even IF the team did know (and who says they don't) the odds of release to reporters...pretty slim.

The "unnecessary noise" is being generated by those same reporters and fans BTW. Walt Kelly "We have met the enemy, and it is us." or if you prefer "Having lost sight of our objectives, we redoubled our efforts.”

I get the feeling Wynn knows his limitations as well. He's an average LT. He just doesn't have the focus and persistence to play to his capabilities every single week - there's a lot of evidence that supports that. One week he'll be terrific, the next below average. The amount of practice doesn't likely make much difference and only puts more evidence of those mainly mental and personality-based limitations out into public view in a contract year.

I also tend to believe that agents also advise their clients, especially middle of the road guys in their final year with injury histories, to minimize reps.

Limit both media exposure to that "average" tag as well as potential injury which would further impact (negatively) future contract negotiations. As we've also seen historically, the "doesn't attend OTAs" tag on a player does not seem to have as much impact to contracts because hundreds of guys skip every year yet the contracts still keep going up - even for them.

Can you clarify? I don’t understand. Sorry.
It means that it's fairly easy to catch onto the new lingo... Nothing they are doing is earth shatteringly difficult... They aren't running plays, there's no contact... Drills are limited...

Would I have liked him to show up? Yes. But I'm not going to make a big deal about it because he hasn't so far... He said he will be at the mandatory mini... Pretty sure he can catch up then

I get the feeling Wynn knows his limitations as well. He's an average LT. He just doesn't have the focus and persistence to play to his capabilities every single week - there's a lot of evidence that supports that. One week he'll be terrific, the next below average. The amount of practice doesn't likely make much difference and only puts more evidence of those mainly mental and personality-based limitations out into public view in a contract year.
I think Pats fans might be more down on Wynn than the rest of league but that's speculation on my part. Although most cases we see fans are more extreme on either side.

Also if we're being honest you're speculating as well regarding his focus or mental side of things. I'd actually argue the opposite from watching film on him. It's styles, matchups, learning curve (just look at the recent tackles to enter the league). And when you go up against guys like Frank Clark, Robert Quinn it's going to be a back & forth battle.

Regarding play on the field, until last year Wynn's play on the field was above average when compared to all tackles in the league. Between both sides he was a top 15 run blocker and top 20 in pass pro. It's the injuries that suck but there was nothing to point at in college. NFL is a brutal sport. I bet most NFL are never truly healthy whether it's week 1, week 12 or May.

Now I understand where that may that mean much concerning your claim that he's "average" but consider this. Let's look at the best overall tackles in the league.

low gods tier
Trent, Bak
(one of the more injured players recently and almost exact build of Wynn)

Great almost elite when heathly
Wirfs, Ram, Armstead, Stanley, Johnson, Tunsil

Just on that cusp arguably in the group above depending on the week.
Bolles, Moton, Thomas, Brown, Whitworth

Then you have guys like Conklin, Mcglinchey, Matthews, Brown, Miller, Decker and Wynn. I think all those guys are above average. After that there's a little drop off, it could be a lot worse, especially at 10m.

Wynn should be as motivated as any player in the league though. Contract time for an athletic LT should be enough to seemingly get his best performance yet.

It means that it's fairly easy to catch onto the new lingo... Nothing they are doing is earth shatteringly difficult... They aren't running plays, there's no contact... Drills are limited...

Would I have liked him to show up? Yes. But I'm not going to make a big deal about it because he hasn't so far... He said he will be at the mandatory mini... Pretty sure he can catch up then
Let’s hope so. MP & JJ haven’t done anything in recent years to instill confidence, but at the end of the day, it’s still BB’s team.

As far as Wynn is concerned, I’m pretty sure he doesn’t have much of a future on this team anyways, so maybe it’s in the teams best interests to get some other guys some snaps and moved around while they can.

*Actually just read this morning that what Bourne was talking about was actually a simplification of the terminology of the system to make it easier for rookies and new players to understand. Maybe we should reach out to Ocho? :rofl:

Last edited:
*Actually just read this morning that what Bourne was talking about was actually a simplification of the terminology of the system to make it easier for rookies and new players to understand. Maybe we should reach out to Ocho? :rofl:

this is an interesting point... you got nkeal harry hanging around for no real good reason... I am wondering if they are keeping him around to see how he does in a simplified offense... thats probably not the reason why, but maybe its a small part of it...

this is an interesting point... you got nkeal harry hanging around for no real good reason... I am wondering if they are keeping him around to see how he does in a simplified offense... thats probably not the reason why, but maybe its a small part of it...
There really hasn't been any reason to cut him up to this point. While he hasn't performed well, he has been used and isn't costing much. My guess is unless something amazing happens this camp he will be gone, but until they are forced to cut bait they probably won't hurry.

There really hasn't been any reason to cut him up to this point. While he hasn't performed well, he has been used and isn't costing much. My guess is unless something amazing happens this camp he will be gone, but until they are forced to cut bait they probably won't hurry.
Agree. Plus the injury bug could bite and he could be insurance.

Looking at 2019 Rd-1 WR against UDFA WR production, there's 598 reason to cut Harry. He's dead weight (55.3 catch %).

SmartSelect_20220606-111439_Firefox.jpg

Looking at 2019 Rd-1 WR against UDFA WR production, there's 598 reason to cut Harry. He's dead weight (55.3 catch %).

View attachment 43387

If Bill could get someone's 5th for his 6th & Harry (we can't do another 7th-for-6th because of the Stidham trade), he would've been dealt already; might as well use him as a tackling dummy during TC before cutting him while saving a bit of wear & tear on actual NFL-caliber WRs...

Yep. Picking up 5th year option = fully guaranteeing two consecutive salaries of combined c.20M - clearly states no future..

Didn't have a choice, really, especially if Trent Brown had not been re-signed yet (I forgot the timeline there)...

Yep. Picking up 5th year option = fully guaranteeing two consecutive salaries of combined c.20M - clearly states no future..
huh? two consecutive salaries of 10 a pop? I dont remember paying him 10m last year... am I not understanding this correctly?

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back