PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

WR Looks like Deepest Postion in 2014 Draft

Did he kill someone or what?? What have he done to go from a top 5~ pick to FA? What have I missed?

One problem I envision for the next draft is that we need to draft a QB and that could cost a valuable 5th.

There are needs in every area you think about. Certainly WR is one of them, I was very confident that we found gold on this last draft and the position as set for the next years but I changed my mind. A lot of question marks in Boyce and KT. Dobson so far has been showing symptoms of injury proneness.

We definitely need consistency on the offense, so either TE or WR, I think at least one of those areas need to be addressed early in the draft.

Here's why I think Jordan Matthews is the best fit among the WRs for the Pats:

Vanderbilt senior WR Jordan Matthews requested tapes of Senior Bowl CBs in preparation of the game.

"Talk about work ethic and pro approach," Senior Bowl Executive Director Phil Savage said. We agree. Matthews isn't the most talented athletically, and he never had a great quarterback or surrounding talent at Vanderbilt, but the kid is a winner because he's invested in little details like requesting tape of a bunch of players that will be lucky to carve out a few years in the NFL. Matthews is the SEC's career record holder for receptions and receiving yards.

NFL Draft | WR Matthews requests tape of Senior Bowl CBs - Rotoworld.com

Jerry Rice's cousin. It appears that the apple doesn't fall far from the tree in this instance.

Matthews will likely go in the 2nd round in a very deep draft for receivers. I personally don't prioritize taking a WR that high, but it would be a solid pick.

One problem I envision for the next draft is that we need to draft a QB and that could cost a valuable 5th.

There are needs in every area you think about. Certainly WR is one of them, I was very confident that we found gold on this last draft and the position as set for the next years but I changed my mind. A lot of question marks in Boyce and KT. Dobson so far has been showing symptoms of injury proneness.

We definitely need consistency on the offense, so either TE or WR, I think at least one of those areas need to be addressed early in the draft.

I do think you need to show a little more patience. I'm surprised at the grief our rookie receivers are getting - our offense is notorious for being difficult to acclimate to. Another pre-season should help greatly. I'm even more surprised that the popular solution to our struggling rookie receivers is to add more. It isn't Wide receivers we need to add to this offense, it's tight ends (that'll free up the receivers we already have).

We don't need to draft a QB. There's a chance we will; and I'd use a pick higher than a 5th if the right one was there. But when the time comes that Mallett isn't here, either in 2014 or 2015, if we haven't drafted a young developmental QB there will be a cheap, decent veteran out there we can bring in for a year or two.

I do think you need to show a little more patience. I'm surprised at the grief our rookie receivers are getting - our offense is notorious for being difficult to acclimate to. Another pre-season should help greatly. I'm even more surprised that the popular solution to our struggling rookie receivers is to add more. It isn't Wide receivers we need to add to this offense, it's tight ends (that'll free up the receivers we already have).

This.

It's amazing how we've gone to saying that Brady is too impatient for rookie WRs, and they can't learn the offense, to expecting immediate impact.

Prior to this year Deion Branch had the best rookie season of any WR under BB and TB. He started 7 games and had 43 receptions for 489 yards in 2002. Thompkins and Dobson have both started more games and had more TD receptions (4 each, vs. 2 for Branch), with Dobson exceeding Branch's yardage output (519 yards) and Thompkins coming close (466 yards). They have accounted for almost 1/3 of Brady's TD receptions (8/25). Both have missed time to injury that has limited their development and affected their impact down the stretch. Even Josh Boyce has started more games than Chad Jackson did as a rookie (3 vs. 1) and has produced similar numbers (13 receptions 121 yards vs. 152 yards). It's way too soon to pass judgment on any of them.

We need to cut the rookie WRs some slack.

This.

It's amazing how we've gone to saying that Brady is too impatient for rookie WRs, and they can't learn the offense, to expecting immediate impact.

Prior to this year Deion Branch had the best rookie season of any WR under BB and TB. He started 7 games and had 43 receptions for 489 yards in 2002. Thompkins and Dobson have both started more games and had more TD receptions (4 each, vs. 2 for Branch), with Dobson exceeding Branch's yardage output (519 yards) and Thompkins coming close (466 yards). They have accounted for almost 1/3 of Brady's TD receptions (8/25). Both have missed time to injury that has limited their development and affected their impact down the stretch. Even Josh Boyce has started more games than Chad Jackson did as a rookie (3 vs. 1) and has produced similar numbers (13 receptions 121 yards vs. 152 yards). It's way too soon to pass judgment on any of them.

We need to cut the rookie WRs some slack.

While I agree with you I also think it’s possible that BB & Co. might not be thrilled with what they’ve seen at WR, they know they’re dealing with rookies and are judging them as such, but I think there are big questions remarks about Boyce and especially Thompkins. I could see them either bringing someone in or taking someone in the draft.

At this moment Allen Robinson is my current realistic binkie.

While I agree with you I also think it’s possible that BB & Co. might not be thrilled with what they’ve seen at WR, they know they’re dealing with rookies and are judging them as such, but I think there are big questions remarks about Boyce and especially Thompkins. I could see them either bringing someone in or taking someone in the draft.

At this moment Allen Robinson is my current realistic binkie.

I'm sure BB believes in competition, and letting the cream rise to the top. I expect healthy competition at all positions next year. There are no sinecures.

Even aside from adding any newbies, Moe and Harrison will likely compete for roster positions and playing time. I wouldn't be surprised if the Pats draft a WR, but I'm not sure they have to do it day 1 or 2. A guy like Cody Hoffman will likely go day 3, and could be a great option.

Here's Mackenzie's scouting reports on Hoffman and on Allen Robinson, FWIW:

Cody Hoffman Scouting Report- 2014 NFL Draft
Allen Robinson Scouting Report- 2014 NFL Draft

From what I've seen, I'd personally take Hoffman in the 4th or later over Robinson in the 1st/2nd.

I agree with you guys, the question is not about talent, is more about fit imho.

I would love to have a physical WR, strong, Hernandez type.

We have Amendola, Edelman and Collie all with the same profile, you may add boyce to that list. Then Dobson and KT with a different frame and playing style.

We are set on the slot, but the outside keeps bringing questions.

I also understand that BRady wouldn't want to develop with new guys, but I'm pretty sure he also knows that this offense is nowhere near to where it was in the last few years, of course, lots of things happened.

To make a long story short, I agree with the user who said that we could maybe draft a WR high to (maybe) have an immediate impact or forget the idea and address the other needs. I do think that if there's a high pick used on offense it would be TE though.

You mean jump balls like this?

No. 1 on SC Top Plays: Allen Robinson's End-of-Regulation Catch - Onward State

Down 7 against Michigan, game on the line, 30 seconds left. Against a 6'2" corner. Inability to win a jump ball shouldn't be in his scouting report. Maybe, a lack of speed to create separation. I'm very curious about his 3-cone and 40 time. He came out of nowhere last year to have a great season. I didn't think he was that quick. He came back with a new body and looks like a stud. Only been at PSU 2 1/2 years. No red-shirt. Not sure I'd take him in the 1st. But, he's much better than a 4th round pick.

Allen Robinson | College Football

Coleman of Rutgers has the size you seek. Plus he went to
Sciano's Rutgers. Plus and maybe the most important , he is no dummy. He is a two time Academic All American.

BB wants smart, athletic players. Coleman is also big enough to be used as a move, Hernandez type pass receiver as well as another Split End, X position type. Thus he can play two positions and that gives BB flexibility.

we have mark harrison from rutgers from last year that i think could act like coleman would so unless we can get coleman in the later rounds I dont see a huge need for him

Did he kill someone or what?? What have he done to go from a top 5~ pick to FA? What have I missed?

Norwood not watkins. I thought you said Norwood was your favorite.

Coleman is interesting. But he's not that fast or quick and his hands are iffy.

Two lower round receivers I am interested is are cody latimer and Jeremy gallon. Gallon is very branch like.

Exactly but it would still come down to how well he could learn the system, and if he slips down to the mid rounds

BB will love him because he was taught by Sciano, has size for BOTH SE and Move TE. But best of all, he is a two time Academic All American, so learning the Playbook won't be a problem.

BB will love him because he was taught by Sciano, has size for BOTH SE and Move TE. But best of all, he is a two time Academic All American, so learning the Playbook won't be a problem.

Well then, time to see if bb might draft him. But doubt it.

To show how deep this draft is at WR, Devin Street who had over 200 catches and is 6-4 is currently being ranked as a 5th round pick. He's not the fasted (est 4.56) but that's not disastrous either. What e does have is fantastic hands and bucket loads of experience in a pro system.

I've previously said we shouldn't be drafting later round receivers but I would make an exception for Street who I like a lot.

To show how deep this draft is at WR, Devin Street who had over 200 catches and is 6-4 is currently being ranked as a 5th round pick. He's not the fasted (est 4.56) but that's not disastrous either. What e does have is fantastic hands and bucket loads of experience in a pro system.

I've previously said we shouldn't be drafting later round receivers but I would make an exception for Street who I like a lot.

I see some Boldin in him and also a reason i have him in my latest mock. Those hands are for real!

I see some Boldin in him and also a reason i have him in my latest mock. Those hands are for real!

Yup. Can you imagine a 3rd and goal from the nine. The Pats put Dobson-Street-ASJ-Gronk in as receivers and Blount in the backfield. Defend that!

Yup. Can you imagine a 3rd and goal from the nine. The Pats put Dobson-Street-ASJ-Gronk in as receivers and Blount in the backfield. Defend that!

Street or Coleman is visa vasa for me. What i would love, is moveing away from the smufts, toward the big outside Guys and leave the middle for Gronk and/or ASJ.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Back