PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

WR Looks like Deepest Postion in 2014 Draft

If we draft a wr, I want it to be an instant starter like Allen Robinson, Jordan Mathews, etc or we don't draft one at all. A bonafide #1 receiver.

What makes you think any rookie we draft will be an instant starter?

It's clear that Brady takes time to develop trust with his receivers. His record with rookie WRs prior to this year hasn't been stellar. This year he was essentially forced to be more patient. But the constant theme that you hear from guys who have succeeded here is that it takes more than talent, and it takes a certain kind of personality to put up with Brady's perfectionism and demanding, that you don't earn Brady's trust right away:

New England Patriots quarterback Tom Brady made me - NFL Videos

Any rookie we draft will be behind at least Edelman (if retained), Amendola and Dobson on the depth chart, and probably Thompkins, and will have to earn their way.

If we draft a wr, I want it to be an instant starter like Allen Robinson, Jordan Mathews, etc or we don't draft one at all. A bonafide #1 receiver.

Considering BB's reluctance to draft a first round WR, I'd suggest that's unlikely, though not impossible. Personally, I hope they double dip at TE in the draft and sign one or two UDFA receivers to compete with Moe, Harrison and Boyce. Considering the depth of the WR position in this draft, there may well be another Thompkins in UDFA.

What makes you think any rookie we draft will be an instant starter?

It's clear that Brady takes time to develop trust with his receivers. His record with rookie WRs prior to this year hasn't been stellar. This year he was essentially forced to be more patient. But the constant theme that you hear from guys who have succeeded here is that it takes more than talent, and it takes a certain kind of personality to put up with Brady's perfectionism and demanding, that you don't earn Brady's trust right away:

New England Patriots quarterback Tom Brady made me - NFL Videos

Any rookie we draft will be behind at least Edelman (if retained), Amendola and Dobson on the depth chart, and probably Thompkins, and will have to earn their way.

We most likely won't draft a big time receiver in the first, BUT FOR ONCE I would love to have a Dez Bryant, Megatron, Moss etc to come to us at a young age and not as an aged free agent. I am usually against drafting wr high because they can bust, but for the first time in years I feel that we have the depth to take the chance this upcoming draft.

And as you said, an average wr would be buried on the depth chart. And you say it takes more than talent, but under BB we have never really seen high talents drafted outside of Chad Jackson. I would like too see us draft someone that is a combine warrior AND has the production to back it up.

We most likely won't draft a big time receiver in the first, BUT FOR ONCE I would love to have a Dez Bryant, Megatron, Moss etc to come to us at a young age and not as an aged free agent. I am usually against drafting wr high because they can bust, but for the first time in years I feel that we have the depth to take the chance this upcoming draft.

And as you said, an average wr would be buried on the depth chart. And you say it takes more than talent, but under BB we have never really seen high talents drafted outside of Chad Jackson. I would like too see us draft someone that is a combine warrior AND has the production to back it up.

Do you really think that Dez Bryant would have succeeded here as rookie WR? Does he have the mental toughness, team-first, low-key approach that BB seeks? Would TB have been patient with his mental errors, and would he have had the patience to tolerate being chastised by Brady?

Combined, Dez Bryant and Calvin Johnson have made the playoffs all of 1 time in 11 seasons (7 for Johnson, 4 for Bryant). I can live without a "big time receiver" and just build a team that makes the playoffs and competes for a championship year after year.

I want that Rutgers guy named Coleman. Isn't he a projected 2nd round guy?

Yeah, Coleman AND Rutgers had a bad year, so depending on the combine, Coleman may slip in the draft. Love to see the Pats get him in the second round, he's a ridiculous red zone mismatch at 6'6".

Yeah, Coleman AND Rutgers had a bad year, so depending on the combine, Coleman may slip in the draft. Love to see the Pats get him in the second round, he's a ridiculous red zone mismatch at 6'6".

Exactly but it would still come down to how well he could learn the system, and if he slips down to the mid rounds

Allen Robinson though. Having played in a similar system to the Patriots is an even greater advantage, which presumably Robinson has.

Would love this, it makes too much sense for it not to happen, therefore it won't happen lol.

Let me add this though, I really don't think the Pats draft a receiver, unless they are madly in love with the guy. With Dobson, Amendola, Thomkins, Boyce, then add Orten, Harrison, Dunn and Moe, even IF Edelman doesn't get resigned, they have so many options, including replacements for Edelman (Amendola, Boyce, Moe and Dunn). I prefer we resign Edelman, and if we do, we have a ton of receiver options (if they can stay healthy). I would like to draft a pass catching TE before round 4.

Let me add this though, I really don't think the Pats draft a receiver, unless they are madly in love with the guy. With Dobson, Amendola, Thomkins, Boyce, then add Orten, Harrison, Dunn and Moe, even .

Let me just add that is among the worst set of WRs in the NFL.

By far. They need weapons around Brady to get this offense back to where it was some years ago. Getting healthy on defense will help a ton, let's concentrate on the O.

He's projected 4th round now. He's not that fast and his hands aren't that good. He lumbers somewhat but he is 6'6".

He's projected 4th round now. He's not that fast and his hands aren't that good. He lumbers somewhat but he is 6'6".
I agree with both of you, not one of my favorite prospects (and I am from Jersey) because there are so many cons to go with a few pros that I think we'll need such as another red-zone threat

It looks really bad right now with Dobson out but he was really coming on before he got hurt. And Boyce flashed enough that I still like him.

That said, we obviously need another WR. Emmanuel Sanders would be fine or a 2nd/3rd round draftee. Dobson/Sanders with Ammendola (and Gronk back with another TE brought in) would be fine. Boyce could be an X factor upside guy.

Not sure what's happened to Thompkins but we can't go on like this.

That may be, but then again, who's to say the rookies don't make that second year jump ? Look at Alshon Jeffrey of the Bears, similar to Dobson, and Dobson had better stats as a rookie. Look at Michael Floyd of the Cardinals, similar stats to Thompkins as a rookie. Boyce showed some flashes. Then don't forget, Moe and Harrison have spent a year in the Patriot's system and studying the playbook. I have high hopes for this group, as well as I have hopes for Amendola having a breakout season, and having some pass catching TEs next season.

Back to your point though, IF they are the worst group, will drafting more rookies be the solution ? Why not free agents to make this receiving corp better ?

That may be, but then again, who's to say the rookies don't make that second year jump ? Look at Alshon Jeffrey of the Bears, similar to Dobson, and Dobson had better stats as a rookie. Look at Michael Floyd of the Cardinals, similar stats to Thompkins as a rookie. Boyce showed some flashes. Then don't forget, Moe and Harrison have spent a year in the Patriot's system and studying the playbook. I have high hopes for this group, as well as I have hopes for Amendola having a breakout season, and having some pass catching TEs next season.

Back to your point though, IF they are the worst group, will drafting more rookies be the solution ? Why not free agents to make this receiving corp better ?

Didn't we have one of the worst groups of WRs in the NFL going into this year? Danny Amendola plus Julian Edelman (who had never put up more than 37 receptions for 359 yards or started more than 7 games in a season, and both of those were from his rookie year) and 3 rookies, and no Gronk? We've made it to the AFCCG so far.

• Jeffrey has Marshall, Floyd has Fitzgerald.
  • Moe and Harrison are never beens that will never make an NFL roster.
  • I agree Amendola will be better next year, he is playing through a major injury.
  • Who are the pass catching tight ends?

I would love them to sign a free agent WR but the reason to add through the draft is it is far better value. If the WR class is loaded then there may be some good talent available at the round of the 1st round.

• Jeffrey has Marshall, Floyd has Fitzgerald.
  • Moe and Harrison are never beens that will never make an NFL roster.
  • I agree Amendola will be better next year, he is playing through a major injury.
  • Who are the pass catching tight ends?

I would love them to sign a free agent WR but the reason to add through the draft is it is far better value. If the WR class is loaded then there may be some good talent available at the round of the 1st round.

I believe Jason Pitta is a FA, and then draft a pass catching TE. I rather they draft a pass catching TE than a receiver considering we are way deeper at WR than TE. Maybe not household names at WR, but we have a lot signed, way deeper than TE. Also, I disagree that Moe and Harrison are gonna be never beens. I see Moe as a weapon at slot receiver, and I can even see Harrison as a Hernandez type TE with amazing measurables. Amendola was not drafted and Edelman was a 7th round college ex-QB. I'm sure not many people gave them a chance. It's really up to Moe and Harrison to decide what their future holds. I don't think they would have held on to Harrison if they didn't have plans for him. I envision him as a Julius Thomas type of TE.

The WR I like best is Kevin Norwood from Alabama, and I would have no objection to taking one this year. Even with the two we took last year our passing wasn't exactly lights out (besides Edelman).

I like Sammy Watkins from Clemson very much. But if he gets out of the top ten something is very, very wrong.

The WR I like best is Kevin Norwood from Alabama, and I would have no objection to taking one this year. Even with the two we took last year our passing wasn't exactly lights out (besides Edelman).

I like Sammy Watkins from Clemson very much. But if he gets out of the top ten something is very, very wrong.
He's expected to be a late round pick or udfa. Should be able to pick him up.

Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
Back