PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

WR Looks like Deepest Postion in 2014 Draft

PatsFan2

Hall of Fame Poster
2019 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
This has been said before but it seems like we might have double dipped the wrong year in the draft at WR. That Penn State kid Allen Robinson who O'Brien developed look like he would fit perfectly in our Offense...thoughts.

As I have said before, all we used was a #2 and #4 last year. That isn't such a huge investment that we can't draft a WR in the top 3 rounds this year depending how they feel about KT and Boyce long term. We had no choice, for a variety of reasons, to being a couple in last year but we didn't use two #1s on WR.

I want that Rutgers guy named Coleman. Isn't he a projected 2nd round guy?

As I have said before, all we used was a #2 and #4 last year. That isn't such a huge investment that we can't draft a WR in the top 3 rounds this year depending how they feel about KT and Boyce long term. We had no choice, for a variety of reasons, to being a couple in last year but we didn't use two #1s on WR.

Good point. Using a trade value chart, 59 (Dobson) and 102 (Boyce) adds up to 402 points, or the 50th overall pick. So all we really spent on WRs last year was the equivalent of a late 2nd round pick.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/prospectrankings/2014/WR

He's currently the 17th ranked WR on CBS and projected in rounds 3-4, showing how deep this class really is at WR.

Personally I really like the idea of Dobson and another good outside guy (from this draft) with Boyce as a speed and slot guy and KT as a #4 WR.

Amendola and Edelman could be in the mix depending on if they're still here (I suspect Edelman will leave for more money and we're only obligated to Amendola in terms of the cap for one more year).

I'd like one more draft pick at WR to hopefully make it a strength as opposed to being happy with it not sucking. As the point of the thread makes, it's a tremendously deep gruop at WR this year I think it would be a mistake to not drat one unless they really like Mark Harrison. We don't have extra picks and we have a variety of needs but another upside WR along with 2 TE are near the top of my list (along with OG, C, DE, maybe DT) but some of this will be filled in FA.

I disagree, WR is a position of need. The Patriots are likely to lose their top WR (Edelman) and it isn't like we are talking about Jerry Rice, Randy Moss and Calvin Johnson (Dobson, Amendola, Thompkins, etc.).

The unit can and should be improved.

What if they view a guy as a top 15 talent and he falls to 32? The depth at WR helps the Patriots.

Good point. Using a trade value chart, 59 (Dobson) and 102 (Boyce) adds up to 402 points, or the 50th overall pick. So all we really spent on WRs last year was the equivalent of a late 2nd round pick.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/prospectrankings/2014/WR

He's currently the 17th ranked WR on CBS and projected in rounds 3-4, showing how deep this class really is at WR.

Idk if I want a TE or a big WR. but if we haven't taken a TE or wr and he is around, I hope they take him.

If Julian Edelman departs via unrestricted free agency, then wide receiver becomes a need for the New England Patriots.

He's big but kind of lumbers and his hands aren't that good. Not so sure about him.

Problem with drafting a guy is you don't know if he'll be smart enough to learn the playbook. That's a problem with signing a FA though too I guess. Hopefully a FA would have enough experience and you'd have some better feedback on his intelligence.

He's big but kind of lumbers and his hands aren't that good. Not so sure about him.

Problem with drafting a guy is you don't know if he'll be smart enough to learn the playbook. That's a problem with signing a FA though too I guess. Hopefully a FA would have enough experience and you'd have some better feedback on his intelligence.

Allen Robinson though. Having played in a similar system to the Patriots is an even greater advantage, which presumably Robinson has.

I disagree, WR is a position of need.

Re-read what I said, I said that even though we double dipped last year it was a small enough investment that we can take another WR this year depending on how they feel about the rookies internally.

Strongly agree with the general sentiment here. This looks like a great opportunity to upgrade the WR talent level, so you hate to see them pass on the opportunity.

Like many on this forum I have thought they would benefit from a change their skill-set mix to get a better presence outside the numbers/stretch the field vertically component. I have high hopes for Dobson but would gladly trade Thompkins for someone that fit the other profile better than him.

Regarding Edelman, I'm not optimistic he"ll be back. I hate to lose his production overall and in particular on punt returns, but in spite of his breakout year I also can't forget his injury history. Bad enough they have that with Amendola, but I think they are kind of stuck with Amendola for next year, right? If they lose Edelman, they will need a punt returner also. Fortunately that will probably be clear either way by draft day, so that may well influence their strategy relative to using an early pick on a WR.

Re-read what I said, I said that even though we double dipped last year it was a small enough investment that we can take another WR this year depending on how they feel about the rookies internally.

Your are correct sir, read too fast. We are in agreement.

WR I like in 2014 so far (Not necessarily for NE):
Sammy Watkins, 1
Mike Evans, 1
Marquise Lee, 1
Kelvin Benjamin, 1
Allen Robinson, 2
Martavis Bryant, 3
Jarred Abbrederis, 3-4
Donte Moncrief, 3-4
TJ Jones, 7
Jeremy Gallon (Great value for Pats), 7
Dri Archer, UDFA

Sammy Watkins, 1
Mike Evans, 1
Marquise Lee, 1
Kelvin Benjamin, 1
Allen Robinson, 2
Martavis Bryant, 3
Jarred Abbrederis, 3-4
Donte Moncrief, 3-4
TJ Jones, 7
Dri Archer, UDFA

Decent list, however, aside from Watkins, my list starts with Brandin Cooks and the two LSU guys, particularly Landry.

Decent list, however, aside from Watkins, my list starts with Brandin Cooks and the two LSU guys, particularly Landry.
I've yet to really watch Cooks much so that's why i left him off, heard great stuff though, and I like the LSU guys too, don't love them but you can put them up here, they'd fit right in

Just a reminder: since Amendola is only "tied up" for one more year, while all the rookies are locked up on their current deals for two more years at low money, the Pats can afford to keep Minitron if they really want to.

I agree, we definitely need to either sign a veteran free agent and/or draft another kid.

I think Dobson is a keeper if he can learn to play a full 16 games.

Thompkins and Boyce are wait and see if they develop types.

Amendola has 1 year left on his deal.

Eledman is a free agent.

Sammy Watkins, 1
Mike Evans, 1
Marquise Lee, 1
Kelvin Benjamin, 1
Allen Robinson, 2
Martavis Bryant, 3
Jarred Abbrederis, 3-4
Donte Moncrief, 3-4
TJ Jones, 7
Dri Archer, UDFA

Any chance Marquis Lee falls because of the lack of production this year?

Just to get things going I will start the smear campaign.

I heard from a guy whose brother knows a guy who went to school with someone's cousin who knows another guys that says "Marquise Lee is an all around bad guy, hard to coach, smokes pot and may not even check out medically"

Not bad for the first go, by draft time he will be Charles Manson and will fall right into the Patriots laps.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back