PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

WR Looks like Deepest Postion in 2014 Draft

I agree, we definitely need to either sign a veteran free agent and/or draft another kid.

I think Dobson is a keeper if he can learn to play a full 16 games.

Thompkins and Boyce are wait and see if they develop types.

Amendola has 1 year left on his deal.

Eledman is a free agent.

He has one mostly-guaranteed year left on his deal. He actually has a five-year deal.

Decent list, however, aside from Watkins, my list starts with Brandin Cooks and the two LSU guys, particularly Landry.

Odell Beckham is certainly appealing. I'm not as high on Landry as you are. Cooks is a good prospect, but he's probably somewhat redundant with what we have (as is Beckham, to a lesser degree). The guy I really like is Jordan Matthews, who is a terrific route runner and who does all the little things that BB and TB will appreciate.

But as much as I like this WR class, I really want to see what Dobson, Thompkins and Boyce can do with a full season behind them. Look at the second year leap Marvin Jones made this year. I'd personally rather invest a 2nd round pick in Troy Niklas if he's available than another WR.

Emmanuel Sanders will be a UFA this year, and if Edelman prices himself out of the market I could see the Pats making a run at Sanders, who provides similar capability.

But as much as I like this WR class, I really want to see what Dobson, Thompkins and Boyce can do with a full season behind them. Look at the second year leap Marvin Jones made this year. I'd personally rather invest a 2nd round pick in Troy Niklas if he's available than another WR.

Emmanuel Sanders will be a UFA this year, and if Edelman prices himself out of the market I could see the Pats making a run at Sanders, who provides similar capability.
That's what makes this draft really difficult, we have little idea how Bill, et al, feel about the rookies.

My guy feeling :

Dobson they like, he was coming on before the injuries hit.

Boyce, I think has to prove it next year, he really struggled to find time although we've seen that end well with Vereen before.

KT, he really needs to show something in the playoffs. He lost playing time a couple of times and, while I don't know how healthy he is, he has disappeared since his return despite the absence of Dobson.

I think Edelman, unfortunately, will get more elsewhere.

We'll have Dobson, Amendola as solid guys. Boyce needing to prove he "gets it" and KT needing to prove he "has it".

That's four if they all make it. They could sign Sanders but that would largely freeze Boyce and KT out.

I think they'll save money but not signing Sanders, go with Dobson and Amendola + Boyce in a prove it year. Then they'll have KT, Moe and Harrison + whoever else competing for the last two spots, included in that group will likely be a draftee but not in the first round.

Alternately, as they're only tied to Amendola for another year I like Boyce in that slot position so spending a little more on a second outside WR, whether Sanders, draftee or if they like KT more than I think, could work too.

As I started with, I really don't know. If they have confidence in all three rookies + Amendola they really don't need to spend much on another but I have a feeling that's not the case.

Odell Beckham is certainly appealing. I'm not as high on Landry as you are. Cooks is a good prospect, but he's probably somewhat redundant with what we have (as is Beckham, to a lesser degree). The guy I really like is Jordan Matthews, who is a terrific route runner and who does all the little things that BB and TB will appreciate.

You don't need to tell me about the leap Marvin Jones made <still hurts>.

I agree on Jordan Matthews, I've grown to like him more and more. As for the TE, I have ASJ fairly well ahead of Niklas. I think he's further ahead of Niklas, than Niklas is ahead of Fiedorowicz for example.

As for the TE, I have ASJ fairly well ahead of Niklas. I think he's further ahead of Niklas, than Niklas is ahead of Fiedorowicz for example.

You may note that I said "Niklas at the end of the 2nd round", or something to that effect. ASJ will likely go top 40, if not 1st round.

I agree about ASJ being ahead of Niklas right now. But Niklas has only being playing the TE position for 2 years, and his growth has been fairly rapid, so his upside is intriguing. Add to it that he seems to be a squeaky clean prospect whereas ASJ has some issues, and that there are questions about work ethic and drive, and I might well end up preferring Niklas at the end of the 2nd to ASJ in the late 1st/early 2nd. The next few months will be interesting in terms of sorting all that out. I do have Niklas way ahead of Fiedorowicz, who I think is overhyped and clearly a day 3 prospect.

Just wondering, with the rise of Kelvin Benjamin and maybe another WR or two during the combine, is Marqise Lee someone worth drafting in the first, or even trading up a little to get, if he fell to us? He was projected top 5 before this year. Is he an elite talent at WR?

Any chance Marquis Lee falls because of the lack of production this year?

Just to get things going I will start the smear campaign.

I heard from a guy whose brother knows a guy who went to school with someone's cousin who knows another guys that says "Marquise Lee is an all around bad guy, hard to coach, smokes pot and may not even check out medically"

Not bad for the first go, by draft time he will be Charles Manson and will fall right into the Patriots laps.
Always possible, still early obviously, but he already did fall from the obvious top WR to probably the third best WR, his QB was an awful freshman though so keep that in mind, big time difference between TB12 and this kid from USC.

I beleive that Belichick has been methodically rebuilding in earnest since the end of the 2008 season.

He is so superior as a talent maven, but especially as a Coach, that he has NOT had a losing season the last four years; and even managed a Super Bowl appearance with a heavily flawed and incomplete team. Just as he won't allow the team to worry about injuries, he has banished the term "rebuilding" from the conversation. The Defense is now complete with at least two or more star players at every level of the Defense, IMHO. It just needs playing time together to achieve excelance,.

I think he then turned to re-upolstering the Offense, first drafting linemen high, then RBs, then TEs, and now WRs.

I also think he is planning for the succession, by building a quality Offense, that will help a young QB to succeed, while TB has an opportunity to win a SB or 2 in his dotage.

It is fascinating to watch a genius at work...

That's what makes this draft really difficult, we have little idea how Bill, et al, feel about the rookies.

My guy feeling :

Dobson they like, he was coming on before the injuries hit.

Boyce, I think has to prove it next year, he really struggled to find time although we've seen that end well with Vereen before.

KT, he really needs to show something in the playoffs. He lost playing time a couple of times and, while I don't know how healthy he is, he has disappeared since his return despite the absence of Dobson.

I think Edelman, unfortunately, will get more elsewhere.

We'll have Dobson, Amendola as solid guys. Boyce needing to prove he "gets it" and KT needing to prove he "has it".

That's four if they all make it. They could sign Sanders but that would largely freeze Boyce and KT out.

I think they'll save money but not signing Sanders, go with Dobson and Amendola + Boyce in a prove it year. Then they'll have KT, Moe and Harrison + whoever else competing for the last two spots, included in that group will likely be a draftee but not in the first round.

Alternately, as they're only tied to Amendola for another year I like Boyce in that slot position so spending a little more on a second outside WR, whether Sanders, draftee or if they like KT more than I think, could work too.

As I started with, I really don't know. If they have confidence in all three rookies + Amendola they really don't need to spend much on another but I have a feeling that's not the case.

If Edelman unfortunaty walks I could see the Pats making a run at Emmanuel Sanders. Or Josh Boyce could just be the "next man up" just as Edelman was this year. He has the raw skill set, and TJ Moe could move into his spot on the depth chart.

Moe and Mark Harrison will be coming off IR. Neither is a sure thing, but neither is any rookie WR.

I think people under-estimate the extraordinary effort Brady went to this season working with the 3 rookies. The FO plus injuries to Gronk really gave him no choice, and he was clearly frustrated early on. I don't think he's particularly eager to go through that again. Brady has openly praised all 3 rookies and has made progress developing a rapport with all of them. I don't think either he or BB will be in a hurry to rush more new blood into the mix. As with the secondary, consistency and continuity are important right now (one of the reasons why I think they will try hard to keep Minitron).

Finally, if the Pats were to consider a day 1 or 2 WR, I think they'd be more interested in a guy like Jordan Matthews (polished route runner, consummate technician, great eork ethic, good size - basically keenan Allen without the issues) than the flashier prospects often mentioned.

I'd like to get a guy like Richard Rodgers to play more as a WR than TE. He's a big target and has good speed for his size. That along with say Nicklas to play more of a traditional TE role and Brady suddenly has a lot of weapons to work with.

Hows MLBer....

given the depth of the draft and the amount of guys available in UFA, I would not be surprised if the WR market this year becomes like the CB market last year. If that ends up being the case, I expect Edelman back

I agree with others as well, that Brady really went all in on developing these new guys, and cant see him overly enthused with having to do that again. I would imagine all the extra WRs declaring just means other players will get pushed down to us.

Im enamored with Allen Robinson and he also seems like such a good fit for the Pats to me.

I'd like to get a guy like Richard Rodgers to play more as a WR than TE. He's a big target and has good speed for his size. That along with say Nicklas to play more of a traditional TE role and Brady suddenly has a lot of weapons to work with.

That would be a dream scenario IMHO.

If Edelman unfortunaty walks I could see the Pats making a run at Emmanuel Sanders. Or Josh Boyce could just be the "next man up" just as Edelman was this year. He has the raw skill set, and TJ Moe could move into his spot on the depth chart.

Moe and Mark Harrison will be coming off IR. Neither is a sure thing, but neither is any rookie WR.

I think people under-estimate the extraordinary effort Brady went to this season working with the 3 rookies. The FO plus injuries to Gronk really gave him no choice, and he was clearly frustrated early on. I don't think he's particularly eager to go through that again. Brady has openly praised all 3 rookies and has made progress developing a rapport with all of them. I don't think either he or BB will be in a hurry to rush more new blood into the mix. As with the secondary, consistency and continuity are important right now (one of the reasons why I think they will try hard to keep Minitron).

Finally, if the Pats were to consider a day 1 or 2 WR, I think they'd be more interested in a guy like Jordan Matthews (polished route runner, consummate technician, great eork ethic, good size - basically keenan Allen without the issues) than the flashier prospects often mentioned.

Agree completely. I believe that Belichick is going to continue to build the receiving corps and TE is a distinct possibility in the first round, and I expect him to sign either Edelman or Sanders and possibly use a 2nd day pick on a WR. If they could get a 2nd for Mallett (big if) and address TE/WR/ and DL or interior OL in the first 2 rounds they would be addressing their major needs imo.

Agree completely. I believe that Belichick is going to continue to build the receiving corps and TE is a distinct possibility in the first round, and I expect him to sign either Edelman or Sanders and possibly use a 2nd day pick on a WR. If they could get a 2nd for Mallett (big if) and address TE/WR/ and DL or interior OL in the first 2 rounds they would be addressing their major needs imo.

Cough CB.. cough

Cough CB.. cough

I think the Pats need stability in the secondary. 3 years ago BB tore up the secondary because he wasn't happy with it. It was a shambles until midway through last season, when (1) Devin McCourty was move to FS, (2) Aqib Talib was acquired via trade (something I proposed prior to last year's trade deadline), and (3) Alfonzo Dennard emerged as a great #2 CB. I predicted over 14 months ago that the Pats' secondary would go from terrible to very good (with a few expected hiccups along the way) because of these changes:

http://www.patsfans.com/new-england...ass-defense-about-go-terrible-very-good.html

The secondary has been the strongest unit of the defense this year, and one of the better units in the NFL. Talib and McCourty were both 2nd team All Pros, Talib made the Pro Bowl, and Dennard was nearly as good as Talib when he was healthy. Steve Gregory improved in his second year and provides a lot of under-the-radar smarts and leadership, and rookies Logan Ryan and Duron Harmon have been solid.

What the Pats need most of all is to keep the group together. Unlike 2011 training camp, they have a winning group that BB likes, so why break it up? BB has continually lauded Talib for his play, work ethic, attitude and smarts, and gone out of his way to do so (giving him credit for input that influenced the trade for LeGarrette Blount, for example). Sure, he could walk in FA, but I think the Pats will try very hard to keep him.

There's certainly room for another safety depending on how the FO views Tavon Wilson and for a big backup CB (need to keep Kyle Arrington in the slot exclusively), but hopefully Talib will be kept and there's no need to go after a CB early.

I view WR/TE as somewhat analogous to the secondary. BB tore up the WR position in the offseason. The TE position was torn up by Gronk's injury and AHern's alleged off-field misconduct. The Pats need continuity and stability to let what they have develop. I think that there's clearly a need at TE and possibly room for a complementary receiver, but I think they need to be very careful how they go about it, and not just bail out on the youngsters before they have time to develop.

I think that if the Pats can keep Edelman, get Amendola back healthy, let Dobson/Thompkins/Boyce continue to develop, get Gronk back, and add a couple of complementary (some of whom may already be under contract) that they will have one of the best and deepest groups of receivers in the NFL next year. Is there room for additions? Sure. Is it my top priority? No.

If we draft a wr, I want it to be an instant starter like Allen Robinson, Jordan Mathews, etc or we don't draft one at all. A bonafide #1 receiver.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Back