PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

WR Greg Jennings status w/ Packers

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Patriots have three elite receivers capable of getting open quickly - Welker and the top 2 TEs. That they do it in different ways (Gronk is open even when he's standing still) is a detail; what's important is that they do. With 3, it's a good bet that 2 will be healthy at any one time. Those are good odds.

Yeah, there's a lot of value to be had in paying all 3 of them AND our elite QB.

I lean toward thinking that it's better to pay up for instigators than for reactors, especially reactors on the edge. Why? Because if a guy's job is to react, then the other team has an option of playing away from him (less so if he's in the center of the field). If his job is to instigate, then his own team can force him to be relevant on every play if it chooses -- even if that relevance just is drawing a double team that often smothers him. I'd let the younger but fragile Vollmer walk if that were the price of keeping the older but durable for his age Welker.

Last edited:
The Patriots are going to have a chance to get Brady another outside WR to go with Lloyd...which could be either be Jennings or Bowe I could live with either one. Gronk - AHern and Edelperson could pick up the Wes Welker's slack if it comes to that. I love Wes like too like the other Guy but i would like to see Brady use the entire Field again. If that comes at the cost of Wes so be it. Our current Offense is not exactly flawless the 49ers exposed it in the First Half. Our current Offense can be stopped by a very good Defense.

Bowe isn't going anywhere. He's getting franchised.

Jennings isn't likely to be franchised especially since the Packers have Jordy Nelson, Randall Cobb, and James Jones. Not to mention Finley.

I could see the Pats looking at Jennings as an outside threat to pair with Lloyd even if they keep Welker. It's all about cost, though. If Jennings wants to be paid like a Franchise WR, it's not happening in NE.

I think that the Pats will be looking at the D-line, O-line, and WR in free agency. Primarily trying to re-sign Welker.

satz BB is going to make the decision not ME or YOU but unlike you and most I am not going to be Shocked if this is Wes Welkers last year in Pats uni. THEY made him an Offer and he turned it down. The N.E. Patriots have in mind what each player is worth from their perspective. They are not going to overpay for a player who is on the otherside of 30...that wouldn't be Patriot like. Wes will get the $$$$ he's worth, historys says it wont be with us.:snob:

Would it truly be over-paying Welker if they game him a 3yr/27Mil contract now? Especially since he's proven that he's NOT lost a step.

Guaranteed that Welker is franchised if they don't come to a contract agreement.

Bowe isn't going anywhere. He's getting franchised.

Jennings isn't likely to be franchised especially since the Packers have Jordy Nelson, Randall Cobb, and James Jones. Not to mention Finley.

I could see the Pats looking at Jennings as an outside threat to pair with Lloyd even if they keep Welker. It's all about cost, though. If Jennings wants to be paid like a Franchise WR, it's not happening in NE.

I think that the Pats will be looking at the D-line, O-line, and WR in free agency. Primarily trying to re-sign Welker.

The only way they franchise Bowe (again) is if the plan is to tag and trade him.

Jennings not only wants elite money, he wants a long term deal. He turns 30 in September. He signed a 4 year deal as a rookie and then a 3 year extension in 2009. That extension was valued at just under $27M or a little less than $9M per. It guaranteed $16M including an $11M signing bonus and fully guaranteed 2010 salary. He says the franchise tag would be a slap in the face...

Would it truly be over-paying Welker if they game him a 3yr/27Mil contract now? Especially since he's proven that he's NOT lost a step.

Guaranteed that Welker is franchised if they don't come to a contract agreement.

Not sure at all they franchise him at $11.4M. I don't think it would be overpaying him at 3/$27M now, but they apparently did even a year ago, so... It's all about the guaranteed money and he reportedly was looking for something just south of $20M and at least 3 years. They never got north of $16M (or 2 years for that matter) and according to Welker after he signed his tag they backtracked on even $16M in guaranteed money. And in not getting a deal done this season they lost out on any hope of cap flexibility.

injury issues..but would help soften the blow of losing welker

I don't think there would be a tremendous drop in production with an offense featuring

Jennings, Lloyd, Edelperson, Gronk, Hernandez

The Pats would probably be ok.

I don't think there would be a tremendous drop in production with an offense featuring

Jennings, Lloyd, Edelperson, Gronk, Hernandez

The Pats would probably be ok.

Except of course when one or more of them inevitably was out...

Except of course when one or more of them inevitably was out...

I don't know how the other 31 teams in the NFL survive without Wes Welker

I don't know how the other 31 teams in the NFL survive without Wes Welker

Don't kid yourself. It's been about a 6 team league for most of the century, and injuries to those teams have played a huge part in the shaping of the NFL landscape.

Last edited:
That's after they lock-up Welker eh???
It doesn't really what they do with Welker. Signing Jennings is not going to be the right move.

Would we be better as an offense going forward with Greg Jennings instead of Wes Welker?

The offense would get a few more big plays, but it won't "move-the-chains" as consistently as it does with Wes. Wes is the catalyst to this offense and without him, the offense is lost. Wes is Brady's security blanket too.

The offense would get a few more big plays, but it won't "move-the-chains" as consistently as it does with Wes. Wes is the catalyst to this offense and without him, the offense is lost. Wes is Brady's security blanket too.

we will need a new blanket come next year..hope we can find one or edelman can be that guy

Not that i don't think welker is important but everyone was saying similar things about Moss leaving.

Where will all those TD's come from e.t.c Brady seemed to do fine without him. Lets not pretend that the offense relies on any one player other than TB

Not that I don't think Welker is a top performer, but I think Tom and this offense can survive without Wes even if we don't sign Jennings.

we will need a new blanket come next year..hope we can find one or edelman can be that guy

what has edelman shown that he can do it ....we know for sure is the security blanket will be missing a few games a year giving brady no security blanket for sure.

Not that I don't think Welker is a top performer, but I think Tom and this offense can survive without Wes even if we don't sign Jennings.

The question when Wes is gone is , every time we see brady struggle he will hit wes repeatly to get into a rhythm. that is a spl think to. till now hernandaz,edelman have proven then you can count on them to miss games every year. so i wonder if he will have the same efficiency as these guys will be in and out of the lineup.

right now wes also draws the No1 corner on every team faced, the water down effect is this No1 corner is going to move on the next receiving threat which improves the defense/

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News