PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

WR Greg Jennings status w/ Packers

Status
Not open for further replies.

brdmaverick

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Star Packer's wide receiver is mostly known in the New England area as the guy that the Patriots could have drafted, but instead chose to trade up and select WR Chad Jackson. We know how that ended up.

But anyways, I found this article (link below) interesting because it has a lot of similarity to our very own Wes Welker scenario. In fact, even Greg Jennings makes specific reference to Welker.

Greg Jennings unsure about Green Bay Packers future - NFL.com

Would we be better as an offense going forward with Greg Jennings instead of Wes Welker?

Would we be better as an offense going forward with Greg Jennings instead of Wes Welker?

Have we not learned not guess ! , he might come here and be a lloyd .
giving 60 catches and 800 yrds but not be a key clog like wes.

if you believe 5 100 catches season is nothing to worry about to loose. i say wait a few yrs and wait till wes/brady era end.

Last edited:
Jennings and Welker are not of the same mold. If Welker does walk, we would need a Danny Amendola type of player. Of course, multi-100 catch seasons don't come from just running your routes, they come from QB-WR chemistry. I'm sure there are MANY receptions of Welkers in which he runs differently than how the play was originally designed. It's one of those things where he and Brady will be on the same page to zig instead of zag based on how the defense is playing the receiver (even as something as simple as simply 'leaning' the wrong way).

Jennings and Welker are not of the same mold. If Welker does walk, we would need a Danny Amendola type of player. Of course, multi-100 catch seasons don't come from just running your routes, they come from QB-WR chemistry. I'm sure there are MANY receptions of Welkers in which he runs differently than how the play was originally designed. It's one of those things where he and Brady will be on the same page to zig instead of zag based on how the defense is playing the receiver (even as something as simple as simply 'leaning' the wrong way).

It's not simply replacing Welker with Jennings, but how Jennings would fill a need in our offense and whether someone can fill the void Welker would leave behind.

It's quite annoying that the Iggles nabbed Salas and will do nothing with him, wish we could get him back. That being said, Jennings can't replace Welker, that's a downgrade IMO, Wes helps move the chains at break-neck speed.

It would be tragic to let WW go, sign him to a 3 year deal, draft a stud for the future and call it a day already.

I Wish J McD would draft us a stud duo like the one Mr. Potato head inherited from him in Denver....:cool:

Hernanded caught 25 balls in our last three games thats more than Wes...food for thought???

Last edited:
The Patriots are going to have a chance to get Brady another outside WR to go with Lloyd...which could be either be Jennings or Bowe I could live with either one. Gronk - AHern and Edelperson could pick up the Wes Welker's slack if it comes to that. I love Wes like too like the other Guy but i would like to see Brady use the entire Field again. If that comes at the cost of Wes so be it. Our current Offense is not exactly flawless the 49ers exposed it in the First Half. Our current Offense can be stopped by a very good Defense.

Hernanded caught 25 balls in our last three games thats more than Wes...food for thought???

He has missed games every year.. will think on that too?

Last edited:
The Patriots are going to have a chance to get Brady another outside WR to go with Lloyd...which could be either be Jennings or Bowe I could live with either one. Gronk - AHern and Edelperson could pick up the Wes Welker's slack if it comes to that. I love Wes like too like the other Guy but i would like to see Brady use the entire Field again. If that comes at the cost of Wes so be it. Our current Offense is not exactly flawless the 49ers exposed it in the First Half. Our current Offense can be stopped by a very good Defense.

Sounds like the plan is have 3 roster spots for Ahern, edelman , another WR so replace Wes production!....as you know between the above they will all miss some games .

Sounds like the plan is have 3 roster spots for Ahern, edelman , another WR so replace Wes production!....as you know between the above they will all miss some games .

satz BB is going to make the decision not ME or YOU but unlike you and most I am not going to be Shocked if this is Wes Welkers last year in Pats uni. THEY made him an Offer and he turned it down. The N.E. Patriots have in mind what each player is worth from their perspective. They are not going to overpay for a player who is on the otherside of 30...that wouldn't be Patriot like. Wes will get the $$$$ he's worth, historys says it wont be with us.:snob:

Last edited:
I don't think it's about numbers only. It's more about options for playing situational football.

To me this is why Jennings cannot be considered a "trade in" for Wes. Maybe Amendola, but not Jennings. But I also think adding Jennings would strengthen the WR corps. This has to be Deion's Last Stand, right?

We could retain Wes and add Gennings. The Pats certainly have the cap space to do so. That would be best case scenario.

Not flawless no. But they scored 31 second half points and 28 straight unanswered against that 9ers D. I think the first half was more about the Pats getting used to the speed and physicality of facing an elite defense. They solved the puzzle in the second half. The OL also performed pretty poorly initially.

We have no idea if Jennings or Bowe don't end up as just another Lloyd. Which is still pretty good, but doesn't bring the same type of abilities and chemistry that Welker has already established with Brady. 5 100+ catch, 1100+ yard seasons in 6 years. Think about that. How many wide receivers have performed to that level with that type of consistency in the HISTORY of the game?

If we could sign Wes for 3/25, I think that's a steal. Would he take a small discount to stay in NE?

Last edited:

Teams are double teaming Welker and single teaming Hernandez, and Welker had a rare terrible game against Houston.

I'm not sure what's supposed to be food for thought there.

I don't think it's about numbers only. It's more about options for playing situational football.

To me this is why Jennings cannot be considered a "trade in" for Wes. Maybe Amendola, but not Jennings. But I also think adding Jennings would strengthen the WR corps. This has to be Deion's Last Stand, right?

It's not about Jennings replacing Welker though. It's about Jennings adding another dimension to our offense, and replace Welker's role with someone or someones who might already be in our team.

Everything that I've read seems to indicate that Jennings' number one priority in free agency is money. I'm sure he'll regret that in a few years, but for now the Pats are going to sit back and watch some bad team overpay.

Everything that I've read seems to indicate that Jennings' number one priority in free agency is money. I'm sure he'll regret that in a few years, but for now the Pats are going to sit back and watch some bad team overpay.

That's after they lock-up Welker eh???

I'd rather Percy Harvin.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes