PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Would you trade Thuney to improve WR/TE?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wouldn't do it but WR absolutely is a desperate need for the team. If it wasn't we wouldn't have spent a 1st on Harry or a 2nd on Sanu and been shuffling players in/out looking for production.

Saying you wouldn't start Gallup over Harry or Byrd is just nonsense. One has proven he could play from day 1. He's versatile, tough and has produced. He's not a superstar but he'd arguably be our WR1 if he was here. Absolutely WR2 if you want to give 11 the nod but he's been much better than Harry/Byrd up until now. That's not opinion, just facts. Sure he drops a few but that's always been his MO. You live with that if he plays bigger than size, blocks and produces. Going back to playing bigger than his size. That's actually the kind of player you want with a QB who might not be the most accurate in the world. You want a guy who can go up and make a play. And Gallup has proven he can do that despite not having great size.

Look you won't find a bigger Thuney fan than me. I was talking about him as a great player, our best OL before it was popular. I love OL/DL. Most important groups behind QB and maybe CB but WR are a necessity and we need better play from ours. It's not a crazy idea to think about. I guarantee you it's a huge need this off-season.
WR is a desperate need for the team, that's why Belichick spent zero draft assets to improve the WR's this offseason despite entering this draft with eleven picks. He reached for Sanu last year because Tom was grousing for veteran WR's after AB got kicked out... in hindsight Tom should have used Gunner and Jakobi, both are at least as good as Sanu sight unseen. Gallup wasn't great his rookie year, he dropped a lot of catchable balls... he still does. I wouldn't start him over Harry, Byrd or Edelman. These guys are catching near 80% of their targets. None of the Patriots rookies shined last year because Tom hated the thought of rookies and wouldn't throw to them. Cam does and will, he simply won't lead the NFL in pass attempts like Tom did last year.

The bottom line is the Patriots don't pass. The Cowboys are ranked #1 is pass attempts in the NFL, the Patriots are ranked 25th. What do you guys think, if they acquire some shiny hood ornament WR that suddenly they will start passing for 400 yards a game... they won't. Cam isn't accurate, they protect him from himself by managing his pass attempts. Unless Stidham emerges as a passer they won't be a passing offense. I don't accept that "Gallup drops a few and that's okay," not dropping passes is his job. He's third on the Cowboys in targets, he had two years to show he could be a #2 receiver then they drafted CeeDee Lamb.

I like our WR's, I only wish the rookie TE's would emerge and start contributing. We were told WR was a huge need this past offseason, it wasn't... fans just love shiny new toys.

WR is a desperate need for the team, that's why Belichick spent zero draft assets to improve the WR's this offseason despite entering this draft with eleven picks. He reached for Sanu last year because Tom was grousing for veteran WR's after AB got kicked out... in hindsight Tom should have used Gunner and Jakobi, both are at least as good as Sanu sight unseen. Gallup wasn't great his rookie year, he dropped a lot of catchable balls... he still does. I wouldn't start him over Harry, Byrd or Edelman. These guys are catching near 80% of their targets. None of the Patriots rookies shined last year because Tom hated the thought of rookies and wouldn't throw to them. Cam does and will, he simply won't lead the NFL in pass attempts like Tom did last year.

The bottom line is the Patriots don't pass. The Cowboys are ranked #1 is pass attempts in the NFL, the Patriots are ranked 25th. What do you guys think, if they acquire some shiny hood ornament WR that suddenly they will start passing for 400 yards a game... they won't. Cam isn't accurate, they protect him from himself by managing his pass attempts. Unless Stidham emerges as a passer they won't be a passing offense. I don't accept that "Gallup drops a few and that's okay," not dropping passes is his job. He's third on the Cowboys in targets, he had two years to show he could be a #2 receiver then they drafted CeeDee Lamb.

I like our WR's, I only wish the rookie TE's would emerge and start contributing. We were told WR was a huge need this past offseason, it wasn't... fans just love shiny new toys.
You seem like a nice guy but some of your post are just bad. No insight just casual box score stuff.

Few different things here ...

Honestly it sounds like you're trying to hard to be the "it all starts in the trenches" guy. That's 101 stuff but you need overall balance and production from your WR position. Its the most important offensive target/position out of (WR/TE/RB)

To say it hasn't been a big need is just wrong. Whether we spent capital on it last year or not is irrelevant when you look at the recent transactions/history. Harry (1st), Gordon, AB, Sanu (2nd) ... Trying to develop Gunner/Kobi ... There's an obvious need whether you want to admit it or not. The team/fo has made a big effort in upgrading the position recently.

You won't find a bigger fan of OL play than me and many others here as well the. No one was touting Thuney 2-3 years ago except me. Literally been saying he's our best OL'm for 3 years now. Had Onwenu on my Pats Big Board along with 6 other prospects. I love the OL/DL.

I wouldn't do Thuney for Gallup but no one can take you seriously when you say Harry/Byrd > Gallup. That's just silliness. Again it's not opinion, it's fact. I thought I saw you saying something like that recently. No serious football mind would say Harry/Byrd have been better than Gallup. And touting Harry as someone who catches 80% of his passes is casual as hell considering he's catching manufactured short stuff.

Also 11 has dropped as many/more passes in the league since last year I believe. Every player in the league has their flaws but good coaches/this team in particular focuses on what you can do as opposed to what you can't.

More regarding Gallup ... he proved he could be a #2 last year going for 1000/7 TD I believe or something like that. He's proven more than Harry/Byrd combined and I was a Harry fan coming out. You don't not draft a talent like Lamb bc you have Gallup. Especially if you subscribe to BPA, a talent like Lamb is hard to pass up.

I just see how 3 top tier guards can be on the team when one is a rookie and 2 make lots of money
That's why the option of telling Mason & Cannon to re-negotiate or be gone is the clearly the best one.

Through a quarter of the season the Pats appear to have a rare commodity in the NFL with 6 starting quality OL:

LT Isaiah Wynn
LG Joe Thuney
C David Andrews
RG Shaq Mason
RT Jermaine Eluemunor

G/T Michael Onwenu

They have played a big part in the team's 2nd ranked rushing offense. They are also T-10th in sacks allowed despite Hoyer's efforts against the Chiefs.

Meanwhile, injuries (& a lack of talent) are mounting across the league. There could be an opportunity at the deadline to move Thuney to a desperate team.

Michael Gallup WR Cowboys

The Cowboys can't play defense or protect Dak. Meanwhile one of the more talented young WRs in the league in Michael Gallup has been relegated to 5th in targets.

+16.9 career YPR
+1107 yards in 2019

Anthony Miller WR Bears

The Bears are now squarely in the playoff race. Miller is 4th in targets behind Robinson & now 5th round rookie Darnell Mooney.

+7 TDs as a rookie
+productive 2nd year despite Trubisky

Zach Ertz TE Eagles

The Eagles OL is a disaster & Carson Wentz is regressing. Ertz is struggling as he is playing for a contract with Goedert in the wings.

+top 5 receiving TE prior to this year
+cap is reasonable

I heard Bedard mention a Thuney trade a possibility. There could be some options around the trade deadline.

No imho I would not

If thuney leaves, we get a 3rd round comp pick for 2022 draft and we have onwenu and Mason as starters for next year!

not a bad deal.

No guarantee the Pats get a 3rd for Thuney as they may be active in Free Agency this off season. He is clearly one of their better players and never misses time so losing him is no small thing. Question is what do they think of the kids and whether or not they want to pay him top of market. If they do not plan to give him a big contract and could get something decent coming back I would not be opposed to it.

That's why the option of telling Mason & Cannon to re-negotiate or be gone is the clearly the best one.

Mason is unlikely to do anything. He has a reasonable contract, and almost everyone thinks that he is a fine player (you being the exception).

We must choose what to do with Andrews and Eluemunor. Cannon is a question mark, but not necessary if we keep Eluemunor.

Ertz is wasting away with a ****ty QB and contract year. Also, he’s a similar player to Olsen and Cam relied on him heavily. It would be a nice fit.

Thuney is not going to re-sign because he knows that Quinton Nelson might get $20M. I don't see BB Franchising him again. I see Thuney in the $16M-$18M range.

Keep Thuney this season unless the season starts to trend downward.

49ers are in desperate need of G help and their window suddenly looks like it's closing.

Rugged looked good today. He is really fast. I expect him to see him on the deep ball list soon enough.

Yeah Gallup's 4 catches were outstanding... it's almost like they were playing the 0-4 Giants.

Time to fit him for that HOF jacket.

Yeah Gallup's 4 catches were outstanding... it's almost like they were playing the 0-4 Giants.

Time to fit him for that HOF jacket.

Two of those four put the Cowboys in position to kick the game winning Field Goal.

Two of those four put the Cowboys in position to kick the game winning Field Goal.
J.R. Redmond put the Patriots in a position to kick the game winning field goal twice in the playoffs in 2001, once against Raiders and again vs the Rams in the Super Bowl. It didn't make him a great or even good player.

Gallup is a "good" player at best. I'm not trading 2nd team All Pro Joe Thuney for an okay WR. They can do a lot better than that.

Nor do I see WR as a huge position of need. If they could vastly improve the position with Julio Jones is one thing, simply adding another body to the team that passes the least in the NFL... why?

Get a TE, get a dominating DT... there are bigger positions of need and places with more room for improvement.

I don't think the Eagles would take Thuney if the Patriots were offering to give him away. They need to be dumping salary, not taking it on. The Bears also need to make salary cuts to fill out next year's team, and the same with the Cowboys unless they're moving on from Dak entirely now.

The only competitive team right now that has both enough 2020 cap room to take on Thuney's remaining contract and enough 2021 cap room to not be desperate to roll their remaining 2020 cap over...is the Cleveland Browns, who are in contention for best interior offensive line in the NFL.

Mason is unlikely to do anything. He has a reasonable contract, and almost everyone thinks that he is a fine player (you being the exception).

We must choose what to do with Andrews and Eluemunor. Cannon is a question mark, but not necessary if we keep Eluemunor.
Mason's contract is Not reasonable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots