PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Would you trade Thuney to improve WR/TE?

Status
Not open for further replies.
IMO it makes no sense to trade Thuney - one of the best of our players. He is proven, familiar with the system and can play a few positions.
No guarantee WR/TE acquired because of the Thuney's trade will be a remedy. We know how hard for even good players is to adjust to the Patriots' system.

I think the most likely scenario includes Thuney finishing the year in NE, but moving on afterwards. Luckily, O seems to be a real keeper and I think he might be NE’s best 2020 draft pick.

Let’s keep investing in the OL. Let’s draft two more next year. And run, run, run.

we just spent two draft picks on tight ends… Any chance they come around?

But those werent the biggest problems.

If there wasn't immediate pressure up the gut (Karras) it was from the right or left last year and the running lanes simply didn't exist. There are fundamental aspects of team offense and this team couldn't do even basic offensive tasks because their OL was devastated as you say.

Skill positions absolutely elevate basic fundamental offense to something greater - they don't underpin it.

Abso freaking lutely not.

Gallup is an example of total fan dissonance and cluelessness. Gallup is a good not great talent playing in a very favorable situation, Thuney is a great talent. I'd trade Thuney for an impact DT, that's something we could use. Can Watt push his way out of Houston. I'd trade Thuney for an impact TE, that's something we could use. Gallup... overrated.
Gallup is better than anything we have at receivers he pulls down contested balls, breaks tackles, and is a burner.
Him plus a second round pick which Jones still would never do.
This is only if we know Thuney is walking next season.

We’re all assuming we can get Thuney re-signed and it’s just a money issue. If that’s all it is, work as hard as we can to keep him on the team. If the issue is that Thuney just doesn’t want to be here anymore, and you know you can’t get him re-signed, or if you know his demands are just stupid, we trade him while we can get max value. With a 1/3rd of the season already over, we can see where we have some glaring freaking holes. Impact WR, Impact TE, speed at LB, Impact fatties, a very large group of players about to test the waters. We need to stock up on good talent and draft picks. If getting rid of Thuney before the season is over helps us accomplish that, do it.

Mankins? How’d that trade workout?

Gallup is better than anything we have at receivers he pulls down contested balls, breaks tackles, and is a burner.
Him plus a second round pick which Jones still would never do.
This is only if we know Thuney is walking next season.
The "talent is everything" crowd believe every player on every other roster is better than the Patriots, especially their fantasy football weapons.

Over the last three years Gallup has played on turf in one of the best passing offenses in the NFL. They ranked 2nd in 2019 and rank 1st this year in passing yards, over his three year career he has catch percentages of 49%, 58% and 54% of his targets. He drops a lot of easy balls.

Conversely the Patriots have had one of the worst passing offenses with a disgruntled old QB who didn't want to integrate or train rookies, and now have a QB who gets the ball within a three foot diameter of a receiver, not actually to him.

His 4.45 speed is good but nothing eye opening, his mobility is slightly better than average, his height and weight at 6'1" 200 pounds isn't dominating for his athleticism. When Amari Cooper went down with injury he had trouble being the alpha dog.

When you have a QB like Cam who isn't overly accurate give me a guy who catches the balls thrown his way. I wouldn't start Gallup over Harry, Byrd or Edelman and I certainly wouldn't trade one of the best interior linemen in the NFL for a mid-tier WR.

WR isn't even the desperate "need" fans are making it out to be, they could use a great TE... anyone got one of those lying around? What about a dominant DT?

Only for an NT of equal value

We already have a guard making pretty big $ in Mason. Can you pay your other starting guard top 3-5 in the league kind of money, which is likely what it's going to take, especially with a likely salary cap contraction coming in 2021? If Thuney leaves via free agency next year, we will get a comp pick back for him, which should be at least a 4th rounder. There are now a lot of ex Pats coaches in the league and most of them are on crap teams with lots of cap room. Someone is going to offer Thuney a fat contract if he hits the open market.
I'm glad I don't have to make these decisions but I really hope we keep him. He's a fantastic football player.

Trading pro bowl OL for skill position players is a sure fire way to destroy a team. Football will always be won and lost in the trenches.

I guess I'm one of the only ones who would, if it's an appealing contract coming back. Barring a massive extension, the best we would get for 12 games of Thuney would be a comp #3 in 2022 and we only get that if we lose more than we sign if FA this offseason which may not happen.

I'd trade the short term expensive contract for a longer term cheap contract in a second if I liked the player. Gallup for $2.1M over two years (that's total for 2 years) vs. $15M or so a year for Thuney? Easy decision for me.

Just trade whatever picks you have to so that they are in position to defat Kyle Pitts!!

I mean what could possible go wrong with drafting a TE from Florida?

Seriously 6’6” incredible hands, willing (not great) blocker.

He will most likely go in the top ten.

I've said it before (many times in fact) that you should NEVER trade an elite OLman even for an elite WR. Their replacement value isn't close to being equal. That elite OLman effects the overall game in many more ways than even a great WR. A great OLman is a key factor in both runs AND passing. He is an integral part of EVERY offensive play, while the great WR is only integral in just over half of the offensive plays. Also even great WR's can be schemed out of having a huge impact on the game (as we have seen so often), while you can't do that to an offensive lineman.

So the thought of trading an elite OG/C/OT for a great WR would be a lopsided trade AGAINST us.

All that being said. The emergence of Big Mike and Mason's resurgence might make the Pats believe they might be better off letting Thuney walk at the end of the season and using that cap space to dominate the FA market, given it will give them a relatively huge amount of space in a year where many teams will be struggling simply to stay below the cap with what they have, let alone go after FA's. For many FA's the Pats will be the best of a limited amount of landing spots. By creating space the Pats will be able to corner the market in a year when the limited market place will allow them to get good talent at below pre covid prices. In other words, next spring isn't the best of times to be a FA.

All that being said, I would be hard pressed NOT to sign a top 3 LG who can also play C and OT at a high level. Like the OP said, by the end of the season the Pats will have 6 quality starting OLmen on the roster. In a league that plays a game of attrition to begin with, having 6 starting quality OLmen is not a luxury, but a necessity.

Hopefully the thin market created by the severe drop in next year's cap, COULD allow the Pats to create a deal with Thuney more to their liking, which would allow them to resign Cam for 3 or 4 years as well as one or two more instant starters at WR and/or DL

We’re all assuming we can get Thuney re-signed and it’s just a money issue. If that’s all it is, work as hard as we can to keep him on the team. If the issue is that Thuney just doesn’t want to be here anymore, and you know you can’t get him re-signed, or if you know his demands are just stupid, we trade him while we can get max value. With a 1/3rd of the season already over, we can see where we have some glaring freaking holes. Impact WR, Impact TE, speed at LB, Impact fatties, a very large group of players about to test the waters. We need to stock up on good talent and draft picks. If getting rid of Thuney before the season is over helps us accomplish that, do it.
If we are doing the contract negotiating, where are our paychecks from Robert RichGuy?

And why did you jump from we to you and then back to we? Were you distancing yourself from the failed contract negotiation but then felt the need to take some credit for any assets received in a trade?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye