PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Would you trade for Josh Gordon?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The-Office-gifs-the-office-14948948-240-196.gif

Re: Re: Would you trade for Josh Gordon?

What have you determined as Gordon's market value and what would you be willing to offer to secure him? His physical talent is undeniable but the mental aptitude may not match what the Patriots appear to look for.

If it's a 5th sure, but he's already missed out on developing chemistry with Brady.

Like I said in my OP I'd offer up around the same compensation we did for Talib which was a 4th rounder.

Gordon is just 22 years old and is under contract till the end of 2015, Talib was 27 years old and entering free agency.

:lol: that was pretty funny, I had to click on the picture to make it play so I wasn't expecting it.

Kudos my friend!

Originally Posted by Wheelman View Post
I'm getting tired of all these threads. Why can't we give the rookies a chance? or are there just that many trolls on this board?

Because everyone wants the team to develop wide receivers but don't have the patience. I think the rookies are fine and are way ahead of anyone that could be brought in now, hopefully one or two of these guys start clicking and the threads die down.

I agree Sciz did a great job, as far as reeking of desperation i think that depends on what you give up in compensation, this move doesn't have to be about us needing a receiver it can be about us picking up a high potential player for a very low cost and if he doesn't work out we cut it loose.
Trading for a headcase that's one more mishap away from being out of the league doesn't sound like desperation to you? The cost isn't worth the drama that comes with it.

Like I said in my OP I'd offer up around the same compensation we did for Talib which was a 4th rounder.

Gordon is just 22 years old and is under contract till the end of 2015, Talib was 27 years old and entering free agency.

I also think the Pats may have overpaid a bit for Talib last season too though, as they were fairly desperate and in need to try and make a move for the secondary. That may have been a case where Belichick went a round higher than he wanted to.

Just my opinion though, I could be off.

Trading for a headcase that's one more mishap away from being out of the league doesn't sound like desperation to you? The cost isn't worth the drama that comes with it.
Define out of the league. :confused:

I'd trade for Jordan Cameron.

I'd trade for Jordan Cameron.

Yes---definitely, without a doubt.

I'm 100% on board with this idea, although I doubt the Browns would be.

I'm getting tired of all these threads. Why can't we give the rookies a chance? or are there just that many trolls on this board?

It's not that there are so many trolls here it's just that there are a lot of member of this site who either, A) Don't really understand football and or B) Have no idea how the New England Patriots operate as a franchise.

Josh Gordon is going to be a beast in this league. However, I am unsure of his commitment to football. I like the guys the Patriots have, lets give them a chance.

If I thought he could pick up the offense, definitely. But since I don't think he can? Nope.

:lol: that was pretty funny, I had to click on the picture to make it play so I wasn't expecting it.

Kudos my friend!

That GIF has been way over used, IMO. Other alternatives for future use include...

ummm-no.gif

url-20.gif

no-no-no.gif

kanye-smh-no.gif

536.gif

863.gif

oh-hell-no-o.gif

Let's go ahead and retire Sir Michael Scott...

Honestly I don't have a ton of knowledge about Gordon's history, I knew he had some red flag's I didn't know they were as severe they've been explained in here. Given that I tend to to agree it is likely best we stay away.

It's not that there are so many trolls here it's just that there are a lot of member of this site who either, A) Don't really understand football and or B) Have no idea how the New England Patriots operate as a franchise.

I was the OP and I opened the thread because it is a younger player rumored to be on the trade market so I wanted to gauge others opinions on if we'd have interest. It didn't have anything to do with giving up on the wide receivers we currently have.

In regards to how the patriots run their franchise, umm we take on low risk high reward players all the time, Talib and Blount are just 2 in a long list of players brought in.

If you look to the history of WR development, you'll see the concerns about rookie receivers is absolutely legitimate. The Patriots are trying to defy the odds with the way they're setting up their WR corps. While many, including myself, are resigned to the notion that the Patriots will just ride it out with the rookies and hope for the best, many others are not. The rookies are struggling mightily, and that's not some historical blip. Rookie WRs almost always struggle.

People who don't like the idea of hoping for what is historically unlikely aren't necessarily trolls, and it's certainly not that their position demonstrates a lack of understanding of football or how the Patriots do things. I wouldn't trade for Gordon, specifically, but that's because I'm not generally in favor of trading for immature players that are already just one strike away from potentially missing an entire season. If a good or promising receiver with less downside becomes available, I'd certainly hope that the Patriots would take a long look at the possibility of making a trade for him.

If you look to the history of WR development, you'll see the concerns about rookie receivers is absolutely legitimate. The Patriots are trying to defy the odds with the way they're setting up their WR corps. While many, including myself, are resigned to the notion that the Patriots will just ride it out with the rookies and hope for the best, many others are not. The rookies are struggling mightily, and that's not some historical blip. Rookie WRs almost always struggle.

People who don't like the idea of hoping for what is historically unlikely aren't necessarily trolls, and it's certainly not that their position demonstrates a lack of understanding of football or how the Patriots do things. I wouldn't trade for Gordon, specifically, but that's because I'm not generally in favor of trading for immature players that are already just one strike away from potentially missing an entire season. If a good or promising receiver with less downside becomes available, I'd certainly hope that the Patriots would take a long look at the possibility of making a trade for him.

I agree with everything you say here, excellent post DI.

Admittedly my OP was uneducated I was not aware of all the red flags associated with Josh Gordon, I was lurking on twitter yesterday and saw a lot of speculation that Gordon was likely available as well, I figured given are history of taking chances on players who had off the field concerns and the fact we’re attempting to build a new receiving corp. it would be a worthwhile discussion topic.

The respectful and educated feedback I have received from you and other members in this thread has led me to believe Gordon is not someone the Patriots should pursue, so my OP served its purpose which was to educate myself on whether he was a good option or not, I do appreciate the feedback from you and the others who provided well explained responses.

To those who appeared to be upset or bothered by my OP I apologize for that, I was not intending to sound like a troll, uneducated, or a JAX, if it appeared I was advocating or lobbying for Josh Gordon that was not my intent, I was only asking what I felt was a decent question to hear feedback on. For the record I am not unhappy with are rookie wide receivers, I’d be lying if I said I was not concerned, however I am no more concerned with the rookies than I am the veterans like Amendola, Edelman and Gronk because of their history of health issues, that aside as I said the OP was more about a player on the trade block and if we’d be interested and not so much about filling a burning need.

I would definitely trade for Josh Gordon.

Walkoffcity.com - Boston Sports

During the BB era, we have seen a few (very few) WR rookies have a full TC and get it - - Branch and Edelman, with Givens being a delayed "get it".

We have NEVER seen a veteran WR come in mid season and "get it" during that season. Doug Gabriel had one or two good games right off the bat, but then faded out quickly.

In the past 13 years, there just is no precedent.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST