PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Words on things I watched, read & heard

Clawson's connection: Clawson, entering his eighth season as Wake Forest's coach, has a connection to the Patriots that goes beyond Herron. He attended Williams College (Class of 1989) in Williamstown, Massachusetts, where one of his close friends was Josh Kraft, the third of Patriots owner Robert Kraft's four boys. Clawson recalled playing pickup basketball with Kraft and his dad in the mid-1980s, and he remains close with Josh. So when Herron (2020 sixth round) became the first Wake Forest player selected by the Patriots since the Kraft family purchased the team in 1994, it had some added meaning to him.

"6. Failed fifth: Take the hit and move on. That's what Belichick is doing after the Patriots bombed on 2020 fifth-round pick Justin Rohrwasser, the place-kicker from Marshall who was waived last week without appearing in a game for the team. It's not ideal, but far from a backbreaking decision when compared to the Tennessee Titans already having moved on from 2020 first-round pick Isaiah Wilson. The fifth round is traditionally a transition point where the Patriots identify a specific role for a player to fill -- or identify a prospect with a standout trait to possibly develop. Special-teamer Matthew Slater, punter Zoltan Mesko and long-snapper Joe Cardona represent good hits in that realm."

This is Mike's really only flaw covering the Pats: Never is heard a discouraging word about Bill from him. Access, and all that...

"6. Failed fifth: Take the hit and move on. That's what Belichick is doing after the Patriots bombed on 2020 fifth-round pick Justin Rohrwasser, the place-kicker from Marshall who was waived last week without appearing in a game for the team. It's not ideal, but far from a backbreaking decision when compared to the Tennessee Titans already having moved on from 2020 first-round pick Isaiah Wilson. The fifth round is traditionally a transition point where the Patriots identify a specific role for a player to fill -- or identify a prospect with a standout trait to possibly develop. Special-teamer Matthew Slater, punter Zoltan Mesko and long-snapper Joe Cardona represent good hits in that realm."

This is Mike's really only flaw covering the Pats: Never is heard a discouraging word about Bill from him. Access, and all that...

Could be or maybe he thinks that criticizing someone over roughly a 5% hit rate possibility is a bit of a stretch. Please see the link.
  • % of fifth round draftees that are listed as starters in later years = 4.4%
  • % of fifth round draftees that started a game in later years = 6.6%
Tracking NFL Draft Efficiency: How Contingent Is Success To Draft Position?

Whether you agree with the exact %s in the article or not, the hit rate in the fifth round is VERY low. Going out of your way to site "discouraging words" towards someone because they missed a fifth rounder in one year can easily be interpreted as being uncivil. Did BB hit on two fifth rounders who have started in the last ten years? If yes, he is above average. Did BB hit on one fifth rounder in the last 10 years? If yes, that is an average performance. If BB did not pick a player in the fifth round over the last ten years that started a game, then he is below average, and worthy of "discouraging words". I am not going to do the analysis, and I do not really care, but the idea that coaches and GMs should be held accountable for missing on fifth rounder is foolish.

This is a great article. There's like 4 guys at PFF worth checking out & Seth is one. Good stuff.

Disagree. He doesn’t do hot takes, but he’ll say this or that didn’t work or was a poor choice or whatever. I think he’s making the fair call here that Belichick is not afraid to move on from mistakes, which is true.

I would say access since it isn’t really high on his list. If there’s one thing I don’t think you get much from him it’s the scoops you see from other reporters. But that’s always been the least interesting thing to me anyway, the idea that it’s really exciting to hear something from a guy two hours before everyone else has it.

After reading this, have you changed how you do your big board? ;)
Haven't read it yet but definitely will. So much of how I look at the draft, evaluating prospects comes from Bill and NE. From the actually scale to what I look for.

What an absolute mess. Holy ****. A few weeks ago it was 3 or 4 1st round picks for Watson. Now he has 20 + women accusing him of sexual assault. Just an unbelievable turn of events.

That franchise has been stuck in **** for years now. Between the moves they've made, how they've set themselves up. The lack of chemistry from top to bottom. Completely unprofessional.

This lady is following the case ...

What an absolute mess. Holy ****. A few weeks ago it was 3 or 4 1st round picks for Watson. Now he has 20 + women accusing him of sexual assault. Just an unbelievable turn of events.

That franchise has been stuck in **** for years now. Between the moves they've made, how they've set themselves up. The lack of chemistry from top to bottom. Completely unprofessional.

This lady is following the case ...

Not only (I think it's now 22) the women who are suing him, something like another 20 women massage therapists in the area of spoken of interactions with him that either were inappropriate or left them uncomfortable. Who runs through 40+ different massage therapists in a year?

Not only (I think it's now 22) the women who are suing him, something like another 20 women massage therapists in the area of spoken of interactions with him that either were inappropriate or left them uncomfortable. Who runs through 40+ different massage therapists in a year?
This is really unbelievable. It's an enormous story. I need to read a good summary of everything. I'm not quite up to date but it definitely feels overwhelming.

Here's something I read and watched but haven't had time to respond to -- the interview BGC posted with Saban.

Some posters here will die on a hill over outdated thinking with a smile on their face.

Its like when I asked which pocket passers in the league today could lead you to & win a SB. Geniuses point the last 25-30 years looking at the past. Not the here & now. It's a different game but some pretend we're living in the past bc those were the good old days, fond memories etc.. Also Bill wouldn't be keeping up with the college game if it wasn't very influential in today's game.

@BaconGrundleCandy, you say that this interview with Saban shows that "it's a different game" and that the day of the pocket passer is over. The thing is: I don't think it does necessarily.

Look at the interview at 0:45. Saban says:"You're not going to win anything with that any more. Because (a) the way the Spread is, the way the rules are, to run RPOs the way the rules are, that you can block downfield and throw the ball behind the line of scrimmage -- I mean, those rules have changed College Football". In other words, it's a point specific to college rather than the pros.

So (*gulp*) I think you may be wrong. Perhaps what's happened is that a gulf has opened up between *college* football and the NFL, so that college offenses and pro offenses have become different things and college quarterbacks and pro quarterbacks have evolved differently.

As we think of the future of our beloved team, that's an important issue.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Back