PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Words on things I watched, read & heard

Not only (I think it's now 22) the women who are suing him, something like another 20 women massage therapists in the area of spoken of interactions with him that either were inappropriate or left them uncomfortable. Who runs through 40+ different massage therapists in a year?
Ummm.. Where did you hear that 20 others said he was inappropriate or left them uncomfortable? Also, you seem to be ignoring the 18 that have come out in support of him saying he never did anything wrong.

Ummm.. Where did you hear that 20 others said he was inappropriate or left them uncomfortable? Also, you seem to be ignoring the 18 that have come out in support of him saying he never did anything wrong.
It was a news broadcast. But if there are 18 who support him, that still begs the question of why the hell is he patronizing SO MANY massage therapists.

It was a news broadcast. But if there are 18 who support him, that still begs the question of why the hell is he patronizing SO MANY massage therapists.

Well, first of all, you don't know over what period of time they are all from. Next, It could very well be that he has a deal with a massage agency that just sends whomever is available. There ARE some people who just don't have a particular favorite. And an agency like that regularly has turnover.

Think about this.. If he's getting a massage a week since he signed, that's over 300 massages. Changing every 3-4 months wouldn't be unheard of..

I still question whether or not this was actually him or someone pretending to be him..

Well, first of all, you don't know over what period of time they are all from. Next, It could very well be that he has a deal with a massage agency that just sends whomever is available. There ARE some people who just don't have a particular favorite. And an agency like that regularly has turnover.

Think about this.. If he's getting a massage a week since he signed, that's over 300 massages. Changing every 3-4 months wouldn't be unheard of..

I still question whether or not this was actually him or someone pretending to be him..
Well, you're entitled to your opinion. I'll just point out that a number of current players have said that they've never heard of any player running through that many massage therapist, and there have been remarks from various team fitness and rehab guys saying that generally players want to find one therapist they like and stick with that and that continuity of care is important.

2. Draft exam: Bill Belichick didn't sound like a coach strongly considering a move into the top five of the 2021 NFL draft (April 29-May 1 in Cleveland, on ESPN and ESPN App). In his pre-draft videoconference Thursday, he said: "I think the best thing we can do is do our homework, know the players, know the board, and when we walk into the room for the final exam and then we see the questions on the test when it comes our turn to pick -- or maybe a few spots in front of our pick -- then we have to potentially start making some decisions."

5. Groh-ing into role: Belichick highlighted national scout Matt Groh as one of the leading staffers in the Patriots' pre-draft preparation, along with Dave Ziegler, Eliot Wolf and Matt Patricia. Groh (now in his 11th season in New England) is the son of former Patriots assistant Al Groh, and he has an interesting career path: He played quarterback at Princeton, graduated with a degree in psychology, and then went on to earn a law degree at Virginia. A career in football ultimately trumped one in law.

Well, the draft is upon us and, like everyone, I have watched, read and heard a great deal. I'm going to make one pre-draft prediction (not about the Patriots, that's a fool's game) but about our competitors, the 49ers.

A while back on this thread I shared some thoughts about how the Pats should address their quarterback issue. I had seen two backup quarterbacks whom I thought looked like they would, at least, be worth signing as part of a competition: Josh Rosen and Nate Sudfeld. Well, guess where both of them are now? It's clear that the 49ers and I are in sync!

But what I'm going to say doesn't depend on my Vulcan mind-meld with Shanahan and Lynch.

I cannot see them taking Mac Jones.

Let's say they were really keen on Mac Jones. When they made their trade with the Dolphins people were talking about Jones as, at best, in the bottom of the first round, and the discussion was whether the Pats should jump in at 15. The 49ers paid a ransom for that number 3 slot. They didn't have to do that if they wanted a player who was ranked as the number 5 quarterback -- and a way behind the other 4. They could have just lain in the weeds and not even indicated that they were in the quarterback hunt. Or they could have traded to 6 with the Eagles and saved themselves a first-rounder.

So it's Fields or Lance. And my bet is it's Lance. He's the one who looks as though he could be a generational player like Rogers or Mahomes, the sort of player that makes coaches go "Wow!" enough to give up on a decent quarterback and pay three first-rounders. (And, for what it's worth, I think they'd be making a good bet.)

I'll be back tomorrow to eat crow if I'm wrong.

Well, the draft is upon us and, like everyone, I have watched, read and heard a great deal. I'm going to make one pre-draft prediction (not about the Patriots, that's a fool's game) but about our competitors, the 49ers.

A while back on this thread I shared some thoughts about how the Pats should address their quarterback issue. I had seen two backup quarterbacks whom I thought looked like they would, at least, be worth signing as part of a competition: Josh Rosen and Nate Sudfeld. Well, guess where both of them are now? It's clear that the 49ers and I are in sync!

But what I'm going to say doesn't depend on my Vulcan mind-meld with Shanahan and Lynch.

I cannot see them taking Mac Jones.

Let's say they were really keen on Mac Jones. When they made their trade with the Dolphins people were talking about Jones as, at best, in the bottom of the first round, and the discussion was whether the Pats should jump in at 15. The 49ers paid a ransom for that number 3 slot. They didn't have to do that if they wanted a player who was ranked as the number 5 quarterback -- and a way behind the other 4. They could have just lain in the weeds and not even indicated that they were in the quarterback hunt. Or they could have traded to 6 with the Eagles and saved themselves a first-rounder.

So it's Fields or Lance. And my bet is it's Lance. He's the one who looks as though he could be a generational player like Rogers or Mahomes, the sort of player that makes coaches go "Wow!" enough to give up on a decent quarterback and pay three first-rounders. (And, for what it's worth, I think they'd be making a good bet.)

Agree, I still feel comfortable when i make my final full first rd. mock draft later with a friend of mine that i will give SF Lance or Fields. Jones is a smokescreen. I have to drink when i get a pick totally wrong so i hope you're right :D

Agree, I still feel comfortable when i make my final full first rd. mock draft later with a friend of mine that i will give SF Lance or Fields. Jones is a smokescreen. I have to drink when i get a pick totally wrong so i hope you're right :D

Ha! Ha! Should I be hoping you're right or you're wrong, then? (Depends on how much you like to drink, I suppose.)

Ha! Ha! Should I be hoping you're right or you're wrong, then? (Depends on how much you like to drink, I suppose.)
Depends on who we pick, if we end up with fields/lance somehow i'd like a lot, if Jones is the Pick probably too but for a different reason :D

*Sips tea, smiles, bows*

The news that Ernie Adams is retiring reminded me of two things. There was this article. So smart to look outside football for insight into him:

I also noticed two *really* bad coaches challenges by Belichick during the 2020 season, the second of which was in the Monday Night loss to the Bills, after which he threw his phone. Famously, Ernie Adams was in charge of challenges from the upstairs booth and the thought of BB losing his temper with someone he'd been friends with for 50 years really struck me. Maybe it was that that persuaded Ernie it was time to call it a day.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back