PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Words on things I watched, read & heard

BGC, thank you for your great contributions through this thread. If you do requests, I'd like to hear your latest thoughts on the Patriots' future at quarterback.

If neither Newton or Stidham are the answer (or, at least, not so that the team can afford not to explore alternatives) it comes down to the draft or a player (players, if they want to stage a competition, which would seem like a good idea to me) who is already in the league.

I'd like to ask you about two marginal players I haven't seen discussed. The first is Josh Rosen. Looking at his games for Arizona in his first season, he didn't seem that bad to me -- though the O-line that he was playing behind certainly was. He looked better than Josh Allen did at the same stage.

The other is Nate Sudfeld (brother of THAT Sudfeld). He played for the Eagles in a pre-season game that the Pats won easily in 2018 but he looked terrific, I thought. Made some great long throws as well as short ones and was mobile enough to escape the late-in-a-pre-season-game pressure that QBs face behind makeshift O-lines.

I'm going to bet that neither of them are on the Pats' radar because they see everything that I see and more and they could easily have acquired either of them for very little, but I'd still be interested in any thoughts you have.

Am I over-simplifying it by saying it looks like a version of the RPO?
I mean I don't get caught up too much in that. X & O's isn't a real passion just for fun for me so I never pay too much attention to that stuff. That said there are people that take it way too seriously and will fist fight you over it.

But no it does look like an RPO but its spread option. Kills contain-force players. People have been ragging on the coach for years saying it won't work. He wont get real players to run it.

Their QB will get some looks next year. He's so efficient and clean running this stuff.

BGC, thank you for your great contributions through this thread. If you do requests, I'd like to hear your latest thoughts on the Patriots' future at quarterback.

If neither Newton or Stidham are the answer (or, at least, not so that the team can afford not to explore alternatives) it comes down to the draft or a player (players, if they want to stage a competition, which would seem like a good idea to me) who is already in the league.

I'd like to ask you about two marginal players I haven't seen discussed. The first is Josh Rosen. Looking at his games for Arizona in his first season, he didn't seem that bad to me -- though the O-line that he was playing behind certainly was. He looked better than Josh Allen did at the same stage.

The other is Nate Sudfeld (brother of THAT Sudfeld). He played for the Eagles in a pre-season game that the Pats won easily in 2018 but he looked terrific, I thought. Made some great long throws as well as short ones and was mobile enough to escape the late-in-a-pre-season-game pressure that QBs face behind makeshift O-lines.

I'm going to bet that neither of them are on the Pats' radar because they see everything that I see and more and they could easily have acquired either of them for very little, but I'd still be interested in any thoughts you have.
Definitely do request. Ill give you an honest answer. Don't have much here.

So I liked Rosen coming out but he graded a little higher than expected. Still though he looked like he had a bunch of +++ to his game. Unfortunately his lower half looks like he's stuck in the mud too often. Or at least it was I haven't really studied him in a minute. That and his pocket awareness just wasn't cutting it. I'd take a shot with a visit/interview etc.

Honestly not a whole lot of thoughts of Sudfeld. Haven't watched him in a minute. I'm all for bringing him in as well for a visit. Decent arm though and he isn't awkward like a Brock Osweiler.

I'd be all hands on deck when it comes to the QB position. Who knows what happens to Cam. We have to figure out the Stid/Hoyer situation. Sign Hoyer as a coach. Either Stid can help or not. We really don't need both or either on a roster that needs as many good players as it can handle. QB is the one spot I'm gambling on so bring in the whole lot.

Definitely do request. Ill give you an honest answer. Don't have much here.

So I liked Rosen coming out but he graded a little higher than expected. Still though he looked like he had a bunch of +++ to his game. Unfortunately his lower half looks like he's stuck in the mud too often. Or at least it was I haven't really studied him in a minute. That and his pocket awareness just wasn't cutting it. I'd take a shot with a visit/interview etc.

Honestly not a whole lot of thoughts of Sudfeld. Haven't watched him in a minute. I'm all for bringing him in as well for a visit. Decent arm though and he isn't awkward like a Brock Osweiler.

I'd be all hands on deck when it comes to the QB position. Who knows what happens to Cam. We have to figure out the Stid/Hoyer situation. Sign Hoyer as a coach. Either Stid can help or not. We really don't need both or either on a roster that needs as many good players as it can handle. QB is the one spot I'm gambling on so bring in the whole lot.

Thanks so much, BGC.

Obviously, Josh Rosen has gone to the 9ers now, and he can't ask for a better chance. If Shanahan can't make something of him, then that's probably because nobody can.

And, yes, all hands on deck! Hoyer is clearly out of the question -- poor strength and accuracy and he telegraphs his throws.

I can't sustain hope in Cam. When he signed for the Pats, I looked at his pre-injury games from 2018 on which a lot of his advocates were building but even there he seemed to me to be heaving the ball in comparison with the power he had in his MVP season. The contrast between him and Watson was truly painful. I don't think he's fixable -- I suspect it's just that his arm (shoulder) have gone and all of the technical issues (feet, slow release, inaccuracy) come from that. I'm really sorry because there is so much to like about him, as a runner, as a leader and as a team-mate.

As for Stidham ... If he were the second coming of Jimmy Garoppolo (or if they'd thought he was) they'd have done what they did with JG -- drafted him earlier. I think it was probably more: well, you know, he's got some positives (can throw a nice ball when you give him time) let's see if we can make something of him. I loved him in pre-season '19 and mopping up against the Chargers, but I see the downside: he gets flustered and makes bad mistakes.

I have my own speculation about the back-story to Brady's departure and why the Pats haven't had better succession planning. And now there is also the question whether McDaniels will be OC next season and, if not, who will be taking over.

I'll keep reading your thoughts about all positions with gratitude, but, for my money, quarterback is the key. If the Pats had (say) Garoppolo and Hightower gave them one more season, I'd think that they were back in the game. Otherwise, I fear that it will be a long road.

Thanks so much, BGC.

Obviously, Josh Rosen has gone to the 9ers now, and he can't ask for a better chance. If Shanahan can't make something of him, then that's probably because nobody can.

And, yes, all hands on deck! Hoyer is clearly out of the question -- poor strength and accuracy and he telegraphs his throws.

I can't sustain hope in Cam. When he signed for the Pats, I looked at his pre-injury games from 2018 on which a lot of his advocates were building but even there he seemed to me to be heaving the ball in comparison with the power he had in his MVP season. The contrast between him and Watson was truly painful. I don't think he's fixable -- I suspect it's just that his arm (shoulder) have gone and all of the technical issues (feet, slow release, inaccuracy) come from that. I'm really sorry because there is so much to like about him, as a runner, as a leader and as a team-mate.

As for Stidham ... If he were the second coming of Jimmy Garoppolo (or if they'd thought he was) they'd have done what they did with JG -- drafted him earlier. I think it was probably more: well, you know, he's got some positives (can throw a nice ball when you give him time) let's see if we can make something of him. I loved him in pre-season '19 and mopping up against the Chargers, but I see the downside: he gets flustered and makes bad mistakes.

I have my own speculation about the back-story to Brady's departure and why the Pats haven't had better succession planning. And now there is also the question whether McDaniels will be OC next season and, if not, who will be taking over.

I'll keep reading your thoughts about all positions with gratitude, but, for my money, quarterback is the key. If the Pats had (say) Garoppolo and Hightower gave them one more season, I'd think that they were back in the game. Otherwise, I fear that it will be a long road.
Agreed on most. I'd like to hear any thoughts on the bolded?

Agreed on most. I'd like to hear any thoughts on the bolded?

That's a good way to get flamed on this board, but, what the heck? I'm at home working this evening (with interruptions!) but I'll lay them out when I get time, I promise.

That's a good way to get flamed on this board, but, what the heck? I'm at home working this evening (with interruptions!) but I'll lay them out when I get time, I promise.
Nice. Don't worry about the board. Most don't say anything which is boring. You can't be right or wrong I suppose but its boring. I'll be checking in from work as well.

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back