PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Content Post Words on things I watched, read & heard II

This has an opening post with good commentary and information, which we definitely recommend reading.
Good on yer, mate!

More questions later, I'm sure, but, for the moment, I think I've been binkied by Darnell Wright, which is ridiculous, given that I know almost nothing about O-line play. I notice he's at the top of your PTP tackle list. Any thoughts appreciated before we watch him go to Pittsburgh or Baltimore ...
I've been on the Wright-Wagon for a while now. Actually was at the top of my tier 1 in the DF, OT thread.

He's got some of the best paws in the class. Strong heavy hands, uses both independently. Feints. Love to snatch/trap defenders with them and toss them to the ground. Good enough feet. He's not exactly a "dancing bear" but can mirror defenders long enough. Very tough, tone setter. Perfect for our gap/Power stuff. Him and Onwenu would abuse defenders lol at almost 700 lbs. He was the leader on that offense along with Hooker. Guys looked up to him and towards him when things got tough or again to set the tone for the day. He played and played extremely well against top tier schools and players like LSU, Bama, Florida, Kentucky. Has plenty of anchor and toughness for power. Patience and resourcefulness to handle finesse although his cod isn't great. Well versed on several different blocks whether it's power/zone, combo or reach blocks. 14 is a little too early for him. Ideally we trade into the early 20's but he's probably as NFL ready as anyone in the class.

I've been on the Wright-Wagon for a while now. Actually was at the top of my tier 1 in the DF, OT thread.

He's got some of the best paws in the class. Strong heavy hands, uses both independently. Feints. Love to snatch/trap defenders with them and toss them to the ground. Good enough feet. He's not exactly a "dancing bear" but can mirror defenders long enough. Very tough, tone setter. Perfect for our gap/Power stuff. Him and Onwenu would abuse defenders lol at almost 700 lbs. He was the leader on that offense along with Hooker. Guys looked up to him and towards him when things got tough or again to set the tone for the day. He played and played extremely well against top tier schools and players like LSU, Bama, Florida, Kentucky. Has plenty of anchor and toughness for power. Patience and resourcefulness to handle finesse although his cod isn't great. Well versed on several different blocks whether it's power/zone, combo or reach blocks. 14 is a little too early for him. Ideally we trade into the early 20's but he's probably as NFL ready as anyone in the class.

I know that "articulate" and "thoughtful" aren't essential requirements for professional football players, but he impressed me as that too.

I know that "articulate" and "thoughtful" aren't essential requirements for professional football players, but he impressed me as that too.
No absolute that matters. I always seek out video and interviews to see how handle things. How well they speak and how they treat others.

Again apologies fell asleep and made some last minute changes. I like things to be as perfect as possible. So I have to just put it out and give myself another few days to really finish it off.

Things like the Pats just don't draft LBs that aren't close or above 240. Good luck finding a few of those nowadays that fit the criteria we like. Both physically, on the field and athletically. Not easy. I scratched Pappoe, Henley, Williams, Dennis and a few others. We haven't drafted a WR below 180. So I scratched Downs and Addison. Just tough to see us spend a high pick on an outlier but I can be convinced. A good argument or interest from us. It's definitely a process. So as I've said for a few years now. Just @ me and lmk who & why you think should be on. Chances are I know the name, might have forgotten but for reasons X Y & Z isn't on. Just make a good case. For instance I just added LVN even though he didn't meet all requirements.

I use athletic testing, tendencies / preferences we've taken to and place w/e prospects check the boxes where I see their value at. Need is factored in a little in terms of value so I'm a little flexible there.

NEP PTP BOARD 2023

*edit*
will be adding QB soon. I do them last and more concerned with the rest of the board.
Thanks so much, appreciate your work.

Just wanted to check on a few not included and your thoughts…

Adebewore
Garrett Williams
Darius Rush

This safety class is a bit meh and there's a few guys that have Saf bodies/builds but play corner. One of them is Ringo. I've seen him get eaten up in short areas by guys like Tillman and other bigger WR. It won't get easier when it's the best of the best week after week. He could be a candidate to move to FS. Stevenson and Garner too. Saf bodies/hips but can cover and hit the snot out of you. I could see a possible conversion.

I mentioned Gonzo talking with @WaterfallJumper and think he could be a stud Saf but he looks like a stud CB rn.

Thanks so much, appreciate your work.

Just wanted to check on a few not included and your thoughts…

Adebewore
He's definitely on the edge. 6'1/290 is what gets me Bill likes taller edge guys in general and I'm not sure there aren't better options for his skill set imo. Again 50/50 I love his tape. He's a player and actually passed the thresholds we like but his size is tough to get past for what we ask.
Garrett Williams
Another guy I'd definitely think about mid-late. Tough physical plays with an attitude. Very comfortable in short spaces.
Darius Rush
Big fan actually. Watched him quite a bit considering all the studs they have. And I always look out for the "other" teammate of a "name" prospect. Those guys always go under the radar bc of the guy next to them but have eyes on them at the same time.

Rush has natural instincts and feel for the position. Very comfortable reading a WR in route. Do a good job using the sideline to suffocate his man. Partly bc he played WR in HS. Very comfortable and effective when the ball is traveling. He understands how routes are run. Where the end, double moves. Smart prospect. His 40 time was huge for him. Physical got some length. He's a good one to take a shot at mid-late depending on how much you like him.

I think both are ideal outside corners in a zone heavy scheme.

Again apologies fell asleep and made some last minute changes. I like things to be as perfect as possible. So I have to just put it out and give myself another few days to really finish it off.

Things like the Pats just don't draft LBs that aren't close or above 240. Good luck finding a few of those nowadays that fit the criteria we like. Both physically, on the field and athletically. Not easy. I scratched Pappoe, Henley, Williams, Dennis and a few others. We haven't drafted a WR below 180. So I scratched Downs and Addison. Just tough to see us spend a high pick on an outlier but I can be convinced. A good argument or interest from us. It's definitely a process. So as I've said for a few years now. Just @ me and lmk who & why you think should be on. Chances are I know the name, might have forgotten but for reasons X Y & Z isn't on. Just make a good case. For instance I just added LVN even though he didn't meet all requirements.

I use athletic testing, tendencies / preferences we've taken to and place w/e prospects check the boxes where I see their value at. Need is factored in a little in terms of value so I'm a little flexible there.

NEP PTP BOARD 2023

*edit*
will be adding QB soon. I do them last and more concerned with the rest of the board.

My hope is that the Pats take one of Gonzalez, Murphy, or Wright in the 1st round.
@BaconGrundleCandy - What about Parker Washington? Also, anyone for K and Punter? I wouldn't be surprised at the Pats drafting both in the 4th round. Especially with them cutting Bailey and Folk not able to handle kick-offs.

Well, according to this article (Bill Belichick likes to draft defensive linemen with this certain skillset, according to Georgia’s Kirby Smart), Belichick likes his DTs a certain way. When Belichick was interviewed, they asked him, do you really prefer 'em that way. He said, "Well, I like --- ----, I cannot lie."
I've heard this before and believe it 100%

I always check out a prospects body. Always. It's a process. Good tape, bad tape, background. Watch their upper and lower. How proportioned is their body? They carry good weight like Wilfork or bad weight like Shelton? High cut? Stiff ankles? Big butt?

It's a process.

My hope is that the Pats take one of Gonzalez, Murphy, or Wright in the 1st round.
@BaconGrundleCandy - What about Parker Washington? Also, anyone for K and Punter? I wouldn't be surprised at the Pats drafting both in the 4th round. Especially with them cutting Bailey and Folk not able to handle kick-offs.
Washington is someone that's on the fence. Great against zone. Real trouble against man. I might add him.

Never done Kickers or punters. Was just such a hit or miss early on when I first started out that I scraped it.

Ik QB is missing too but I'll add them this week.

I know we'll like Murphy and Bresee just have a feeling. I would be happy with any of those 3.

I think my scenario is trading down and landing Wright. NFL ready at a premium position of need. He's got a little upside but he's mean, tough and ready to go. Our OL immediately gets better and we get to target someone in that 25-35 range if we want with the extra capital.

Would be thrilled with Gonzo though. He could put us over the top being the big boundary we need. He hits and this secondary is an absolute unit with the Jones trio. Dugger, Phillips and Peppers.

I think my scenario is trading down and landing Wright. NFL ready at a premium position of need. He's got a little upside but he's mean, tough and ready to go. Our OL immediately gets better and we get to target someone in that 25-35 range if we want with the extra capital.

Looking at mocks, it seems as if Wright is moving up pretty swiftly. I wonder if that would be a case of a "trigger pick" (when the OTs rated above him are gone you have to jump in). Where do you think he ranks on the tackle list, BGC? Just behind Johnson, Skoronski and Jones?

He's definitely on the edge. 6'1/290 is what gets me Bill likes taller edge guys in general and I'm not sure there aren't better options for his skill set imo. Again 50/50 I love his tape. He's a player and actually passed the thresholds we like but his size is tough to get past for what we ask.

Another guy I'd definitely think about mid-late. Tough physical plays with an attitude. Very comfortable in short spaces.

Big fan actually. Watched him quite a bit considering all the studs they have. And I always look out for the "other" teammate of a "name" prospect. Those guys always go under the radar bc of the guy next to them but have eyes on them at the same time.

Rush has natural instincts and feel for the position. Very comfortable reading a WR in route. Do a good job using the sideline to suffocate his man. Partly bc he played WR in HS. Very comfortable and effective when the ball is traveling. He understands how routes are run. Where the end, double moves. Smart prospect. His 40 time was huge for him. Physical got some length. He's a good one to take a shot at mid-late depending on how much you like him.

Thanks, great color.

Adebewore and his height is interesting as I've read some comparing him, and specifically his get off, to Dominique Easley who seemed like a tweener too with exact same height/similar weight.

I've heard this before and believe it 100%

I always check out a prospects body. Always. It's a process. Good tape, bad tape, background. Watch their upper and lower. How proportioned is their body? They carry good weight like Wilfork or bad weight like Shelton? High cut? Stiff ankles? Big butt?

It's a process.
If they apply this same thinking to Quentin Johnston, he's off the board, because he looks like he's going to topple over when he runs. I'm not taking him off the board though because they did select Tyquan, who also has form and balance issues.

The really wild thing about this draft is the very high bust probability of the QBs.

I hope the GMs don't realize it and that they really take these guys before 14.

Would be concerned about a 5'9" QB who worked with an offensive coordinator who managed to make Christian Hackenberg look like a competent QB with a future in the NFL, but yet the Bama fans thought the passing game was somehow gummed up, and they blamed on the miracle worker OC.

You have CJ Stroud who is not nearly as good at throwing to WRs as his predecessor Justin Field, nor does he excel at running the ball, obviously.

You have a kid in Levis with all the tools, but no one liked him out of high school because he's from Connecticut, so he sat the bench at PSU in favor of a guy who drove me mad (Stafford) and then moved to Kentucky where he didn't exactly shine.

Then Richarson, all the tools, all the athleticism, he can't hit the broadside of a barn accurately.

Good luck to those teams selecting QBs. I hope they don't realize that all 4 of them deserve a second round grade at best.

if we want to keep implementig more zone schemes, shanahan type of elements and CB is our first pick then this dude would be an incredible pick for the 2nd round

Hey @BaconGrundleCandy. I hope all is well bro. I know this is extremely early, but what are your thoughts regarding UNC QB Drake Maye? Love his size, demeanor & tape, but he’s very young/raw. Have you even begun to evaluate him? Thanks!

This draft is pretty easy;

1.) Jordan Addison
2.) Blake freeland
3.) tank dell
4.) jaylon jones
I would replace addison with porter or Witherspoon
And tank dell since we have juju Henry gesicki bourne able to Attack the MOF I would go with a different wr or position
Some edge DT depth would be nice or iol depth like a c who can upgrade ferentz

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Back