PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Content Post Words on things I watched, read & heard II

This has an opening post with good commentary and information, which we definitely recommend reading.
Apologies PTP is 99% done. 1000% putting it out later just putting finishing touches on it. Pain in the ass looking up arm length and shuttles and this prospect isn't listed on this sheet or site. Work. Life.

Same process. I'll looked for athletic tendencies out of the "names" for a good rough list. It's small. And place the prospects where i see their value at. Basically guys we've drafted multiple times (Spikes, Bentley, Strange, Thuney etc) It's not "my list" I'm just looking at what we've liked athletically and using my judgment off of what ive seen during Bill's time here.
Some guys didn't test or didn't test in all drills. So some names will be left off. I'm planning on changing it three times. Next week after more dust settles from FA. Another week or two and literally right before the draft.

Sorry it'll be out in a few hours.

Apologies PTP is 99% done. 1000% putting it out later just putting finishing touches on it. Pain in the ass looking up arm length and shuttles and this prospect isn't listed on this sheet or site. Work. Life.

Same process. I'll looked for athletic tendencies out of the "names" for a good rough list. It's small. And place the prospects where i see their value at. Basically guys we've drafted multiple times (Spikes, Bentley, Strange, Thuney etc) It's not "my list" I'm just looking at what we've liked athletically and using my judgment off of what ive seen during Bill's time here.
Some guys didn't test or didn't test in all drills. So some names will be left off. I'm planning on changing it three times. Next week after more dust settles from FA. Another week or two and literally right before the draft.

Sorry it'll be out in a few hours.
Quick question, B. In Morse's mock draft, he mentions combine numbers. I found it puzzling that a lot of the guys he picked didn't do the 3 cone drill. Did that happen a lot this year and if so, why do you think players avoided this drill?

Quick question, B. In Morse's mock draft, he mentions combine numbers. I found it puzzling that a lot of the guys he picked didn't do the 3 cone drill. Did that happen a lot this year and if so, why do you think players avoided this drill?
Most haven't done the 3C in recent years bc it's the last drill at the combine. Leaving guys exhausted for an important drill. Not ideal they could do a lot better in terms of scheduling. In some cases kids are there for days no reason for this delay.

Most haven't done the 3C in recent years bc it's the last drill at the combine. Leaving guys exhausted for an important drill. Not ideal they could do a lot better in terms of scheduling. In some cases kids are there for days no reason for this delay.
Less reliable but pro days are where you'll get most of the info nowadays or personal workouts. Prospects still take the combine very seriously but treat it more as a networking event - like the NFL does. As opposed to a true showcase.

I have a feeling Breesee, Murphy and Simpson are on the radar at 14 or trade back in the 1st.
20230314_152956.jpg

Thanks for the info

My first reaction is "How SOFT are they" You'd think there would be plenty of time between reps, given how many guys there are between their first and 2nd runs. How exhausted can you get standing around waiting your turn. The 2nd one is, IMO the 3-cone is a critical drill in the evaluation of the athlete, far more important than the 40. I would think the TEAMS, the guys paying for this opportunity would demand players do it. I know you can't "demand" them to do anything. But if I were there, it would affect my evaluation of a healthy player who didn't do it;

But perhaps I'm being too old school. But I looked for the info on Jerry Jeudy's 3 cone time when all the trade talk started. He didn't do the 3-cone at the combine OR his pro-day. Makes me wonder if he HAS the quickness to be the slot guy we need.

Thanks for the info

My first reaction is "How SOFT are they" You'd think there would be plenty of time between reps, given how many guys there are between their first and 2nd runs. How exhausted can you get standing around waiting your turn. The 2nd one is, IMO the 3-cone is a critical drill in the evaluation of the athlete, far more important than the 40. I would think the TEAMS, the guys paying for this opportunity would demand players do it. I know you can't "demand" them to do anything. But if I were there, it would affect my evaluation of a healthy player who didn't do it;
I hear ya Ken. My counter would be this and your post speaks to it a bit.

I use these drills to shape my grades and it's no secret I've said for years I only care about 3/L drill, shuttles - short/10 yd split and the jumps for explosion.

That said if millions are on the line and i know how important it is im taking under ideal circumstances. At this point i have to think of that money for my family too. Some of these kids will ONLY get this deal.

So after benching, running a 40, maybe a few times. Waiting around. Gauntlet drills. Waiting around. Vertical a few times. Waiting around. And so on. I can see why some would say "I'll see you at my pro day."
But perhaps I'm being too old school. But I looked for the info on Jerry Jeudy's 3 cone time when all the trade talk started. He didn't do the 3-cone at the combine OR his pro-day. Makes me wonder if he HAS the quickness to be the slot guy we need.
Jeudy is a freak. He's a bit high cut so I get why he wouldn't want to run it but he's an absolute freak with violent stops and starts. Jules. Dead legs. He can make you miss but he's too good to keep inside. He can win outside as well. Id think long and hard about 14. Definitely 46.

Jeudy is a freak. He's a bit high cut so I get why he wouldn't want to run it but he's an absolute freak with violent stops and starts. Jules. Dead legs. He can make you miss but he's too good to keep inside. He can win outside as well. Id think long and hard about 14. Definitely 46.
that's quite an endorsement, B. why do you think his first 2 years have been disappointing enough that the Broncos are even contemplating trading him, and would you do it for a 3rd

that's quite an endorsement, B. why do you think his first 2 years have been disappointing enough that the Broncos are even contemplating trading him, and would you do it for a 3rd
1. Denver had big time qb struggles in the last 3 years imo.
2. in 2019: 15 games, 53 rec, 3 TD , 856 yards --> good as a rookie imo
in 2020: 10 games, only 38 rec, 467 yards
in 2021: 15 games, 67 rec with 100 targets (67% catch rate), 6 TD , 952 yards

I think he can be a 1000 yards WR here and work very well as a good route runner and separator here with complements of the bigger WR Parker and the speedster Thornton. For a 3rd and maybe a 4th i would do it.

meyers in 2022 with 67 rec with 96 targets, 802 yards, 6 TD

--> both played in a putrid offensem, nearly same catch rate in 2022, meyers longest catch 48 yards, Jeudy with 92 and 67 yards for example.

Last edited:
Denver was arguably the worst run offense in the league last year. Completely predictable but dysfunctional from a scheme pov and Wilson was just garbage. There was a disconnect all year between him and the OL. Something you could see coming from his Seattle days and it came to a head at the end of year with him beefing with his OL multiple times on the sidelines.

JJ was really good last year on a **** offense.

Check out the short area work in clip 1. Footwork in endzonw and concentration clip 2. Working outside and inside. Can separate and work tight areas. Only 23!! I would like to see him work outside more and believe he could do it. Either way he's a versatile, young WR that hasn't hit his prime yet.

I would have sent a 3rd yesterday and would be a little surprised to see him go for that but absolutely yes.

I would trade 14 + 46 for Surtain and Jeudy without thinking twice Ken. We need an alpha boundary and help at WR and Denver might be selling hard.

Last edited:
Again apologies fell asleep and made some last minute changes. I like things to be as perfect as possible. So I have to just put it out and give myself another few days to really finish it off.

Things like the Pats just don't draft LBs that aren't close or above 240. Good luck finding a few of those nowadays that fit the criteria we like. Both physically, on the field and athletically. Not easy. I scratched Pappoe, Henley, Williams, Dennis and a few others. We haven't drafted a WR below 180. So I scratched Downs and Addison. Just tough to see us spend a high pick on an outlier but I can be convinced. A good argument or interest from us. It's definitely a process. So as I've said for a few years now. Just @ me and lmk who & why you think should be on. Chances are I know the name, might have forgotten but for reasons X Y & Z isn't on. Just make a good case. For instance I just added LVN even though he didn't meet all requirements.

I use athletic testing, tendencies / preferences we've taken to and place w/e prospects check the boxes where I see their value at. Need is factored in a little in terms of value so I'm a little flexible there.

NEP PTP BOARD 2023

*edit*
will be adding QB soon. I do them last and more concerned with the rest of the board.

Last edited:
Jalen Carter = Warren Sapp 2.0

(Sapp is in the HOF so it worked out OK for him)

Not sure where the JuJu signing puts us as far as WR goes in the draft but you can see why teams are calling for Higgins, Jeudy, Hop etc. Especially for outside guys. It's not the greatest class. For WR or the overall class.
Screenshot_20230315_160248_Excel.jpg

Not sure where the JuJu signing puts us as far as WR goes in the draft but you can see why teams are calling for Higgins, Jeudy, Hop etc. Especially for outside guys. It's not the greatest class. For WR or the overall class.
View attachment 50457
No Addison? I am sure you covered this already if you want to just send the link.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Back