PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Content Post Words on things I watched, read & heard II

This has an opening post with good commentary and information, which we definitely recommend reading.

Bill correctly figures that McD already knows more about the Pats than any HC in the league, so why try hiding from him? Might as well take advantage of their similar approaches to running practices, scrimmages etc... The long-distance travel is more concerning, if it's even that much of a concern really... I mean look where the SeaHags have to go...

Nice job by Brad.

Pats are top 5 in Effective Cap Space through 2024 and have by far better roster/QB situation than HOU, CHI, NYG, ATL.
The drop off to #8 in ECS is huge so in the next 2y (at least) BB will have all inclusive menu to choose/build from..

“OTAs, we’re always gearing up. But from Day 1 — from now to last year — just going over the plays, going over the installs. My mind isn’t wandering and I’m asking a hundred questions. Now I’m asking fifty questions instead of a hundred this year. But I’m definitely more confident within the scheme.”

Last edited:
Last edited:
Nice job by Brad.

Pats are top 5 in Effective Cap Space through 2024 and have by far better roster/QB situation than HOU, CHI, NYG, ATL.
The drop off to #8 in ECS is huge so in the next 2y (at least) BB will have all inclusive menu to choose/build from..

Nice job by Brad and nice job by you for posting this LD. I knew they were in good shape, but not that good. Bodes well for the future.

Brett Kollmann with an interesting piece in defence of the Cole Strange pick and a hypothesis about the kind of offense that the Pats are planning on moving towards.

Interesting in that he puts the puzzle pieces of the draft together in a way that makes sense. Outside zone runs (which require athletic linemen) with potential breakaway speed from Strong with Thornton to provide a threat downfield. Moving away from power runs against packed boxes.

Interesting in that he puts the puzzle pieces of the draft together in a way that makes sense. Outside zone runs (which require athletic linemen) with potential breakaway speed from Strong with Thornton to provide a threat downfield. Moving away from power runs against packed boxes.
Except that Onwenu, Strange and Brown offer excellent blocking for power running. Certain people on this board are so hung up on the Draftniks of the world being the "GOSPEL" that they can't see the forest for the trees. As one person said, if Strange went to Alabama, he'd have been a "consensus" #1 pick by the Draftnicks and probably a top 10 to top 20 pick overall.

As one person said, if Strange went to Alabama, he'd have been a "consensus" #1 pick by the Draftnicks and probably a top 10 to top 20 pick overall.

If you look at top-10 APY by position, the IOL ranks 8 out of 11. So drafting a guard or a center in the first round is always going to raise some eyebrows. It's worth something that he can be a starter off the bat though, without needing much in he way of a red-shirt year.

Not saying they will abandon the power run - the more options you have on each play the better. But the outside zone run fits better with RPO, which people think will be a feature this year.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back