PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Content Post Words on things I watched, read & heard II

This has an opening post with good commentary and information, which we definitely recommend reading.
@long distance were you in or out on Reddick in your thread about FA and such?

Who would we want to pair with Judon, realistically (anyone)?

McDermott should be embarrassed. Beat up & down off a high school play (G lead) but his defensive run fits were awful. I keeping hearing people say they defended the run and didn't play that bad. We refused to throw the ball and you gave up 5 + per clip. If he doesn't turn this around I'm not sure you can keep this up. It doesn't take 5-10 to build up a team and prove your worth as a coach. LOL back to back QB sneaks.

He's been so terrible.

A lot of Goodchux haters on the board are suddenly real quite. They’ve simply moved on to their weekly complaining about Mcd. No need to point fingers, we all know who these clowns are.

Not sure. Probably not the best way to attack 9 OL'm though when you absolutely know what's coming. I haven't seen any splits to confirm if it worked or not just jumped out and taking shots at the Bills lol.

Weather games are the best and the ones you remember the most imo
I'm sure weather games are if you're team wins :p if i was in my twenties or thirties being in the stands while it was snowing, and wind would be great Back then i'd like the wind and snow to hit me in the face, but now i'm wiser, i have enough sense to get out, or stay out of the storm, and sit back and watch it on tv.

Preach!

Growing up, the weather variety is what attracted me so much to the game. Seeing all these different places on television with snow, rain, sun, wind, was the greatest thing. I went to that 1996/97 fog game against the Steelers, and it was awesome.

Really anything that causes variety improves the sport. I used to love basketball, but the 3 point brigade has changed it from a sport where each team has specific strengths to a sport where every team looks the same.

For football, I love great QB play, but I miss those days when teams had real identities. Smash mouth teams playing for field position, teams that could win consistently with their defense, teams built around a star running back, etc. And then all these weather varieties and field conditions.

Last night’s game was the Game of the Year in my book. Awesome to watch.
I got something to say about basketball and hockey. In the early seventies i use to go to see the bruins and celtics with a friend. He had found out that if you had obstructed view seats in the balcony the ushers would let you sit at the bottom of the stairs. The problem was it was first come first serve. But he had found a way to get around this. We would immediately run up a flight of stairs that lead to the section on the end, and then step across this gap between the sections on the end (those seats sucked) and the middle section of the balcony/lodge. So while other people scrambled to get to the stairs that led to the middle section, we would take the first set of stairs and step over the gap that separated them*. Watching the bruins and celtics sitting basically sitting in the first row of the balcony was incredible, you got to really see the action. How fast they skated , the passes, the body checks etc.or with the celtics , watching the fast breaks, and passing. It was like sitting on the edge of a second floor porch of a house and looking down on the players in your yard of street below. Memories, just water colour memories......of the way things were.

* i think i need to explain this better. The boston garden was shaped like an oval, the way it was constructed the oval was seperated in four sections ( _______ ) There was a concrete rim or lip that was about thirty inches high and about two feet wide that ran around the the balcony/lodge. The rim wall had gaps on each end that were about two feet wide,so it wasn't one continuous slab of concrete. If you went up the stairs on the end sections, and down to the first row of seats. Then walked to the end of the row, and stepped up on the wall/rim and stepped onto the wall/rim of the middle section. From there we just walked down the row of seats to the last step of the first row/bottom row of stairs and sat down with our obstructed view tickets.

Last edited:
I'm sure weather games are if you're team wins :p if i was in my twenties or thirties being in the stands while it was snowing, and wind would be great Back then i'd like the wind and snow to hit me in the face, but now i'm wiser, i have enough sense to get out, or stay out of the storm, and sit back and watch it on tv.
Agreed I go to a few games but it's tough with work or life. Plus it's an all day event type thing. You leave early, get back late, exhausted. Great time but it's a whole day. If I do go to a game I try to get good seats and do it up since they're few and far between.

I got something to say about basketball and hockey. In the early seventies i use to go to see the bruins and celtics with a friend. He had found out that if you had obstructed view seats in the balcony the ushers would let you sit at the bottom of the stairs. The problem was it was first come first serve. But he had found a way to get around this. We would immediately run up a flight of stairs that lead to the section on the end, and then step across this gap between the sections on the end (those seats sucked) and the middle section of the balcony. So while other people scrambled to get to the stairs that led to the middle section, we would take the first set of stairs and step over the gap that separated them. Watching the bruins and celtics sitting basically sitting in the first row of the balcony was incredible, you got to really see the action. How fast they skated , the passes, the body checks etc.or with the celtics , watching the fast breaks, and passing. It was like sitting on the edge of a second floor porch of a house and looking down on the players in your yard of street below. Memories, just water colour memories......of the way things were.
Hockey, esp playoff hockey is the best. I was young and barely remember it but can smell the piss from the garden bleachers. Getting a stick from the bullgang. Again I was very young but one of the best things ever was the wives carnival or something like that. All the players would get together, sign autographs. You could shoot on Andy Moog. Orr, Sanderson and the other old timers would show up.

A lot of Goodchux haters on the board are suddenly real quite. They’ve simply moved on to their weekly complaining about Mcd. No need to point fingers, we all know who these clowns are.

I wasn't a hater, but I was definitely a doubter of the Pats run defense. I've still got my worries about what they'll do with the Clots running attack but it's a pleasure to salute a great game. Re-watching it, the Pats were not as dominant as I thought they were when I watched it live, but it was just as enjoyable. Josh Allen had a pretty great game in the circumstances.

The game that it reminded me of was the game against Baltimore in the monsoon last season. If you remember, the Pats were up by 6 when they shut things down: run, run, run, run, run. They didn't get close to field goal range to seal it or even take much time off the clock by getting first downs. Meanwhile, Lamar Jackson was doing Lamar Jackson things, escaping from the pass rush. But Belichick didn't go back on his decision and, finally, if I recall, the Ravens messed up a shotgun snap, lost a ton of yardage and the game was won.

That's Bill Belichick at his greatest. He has a plan and sticks with it. In really bad weather, he will out-conservative you, betting that, sooner or later, mistakes will come.

All last week he blocked questions about the weather in Buffalo and said "We don't know what it will be like. We'll have to see." What a joke! They must have been practising with a 6-man O-line every day.

Agreed I go to a few games but it's tough with work or life. Plus it's an all day event type thing. You leave early, get back late, exhausted. Great time but it's a whole day. If I do go to a game I try to get good seats and do it up since they're few and far between.
I am definitely hoping for a nice day for the Bills game, now that my plans are coming together so well. I’m on the same page as BGC, the “do it up” plan. It’s a major birthday milestone so I’m going all in. Scored what looks to be a good seat just below the lighthouse, and solved my worries about getting to the game by booking a room at the Hilton the night before the game. I’ll take advantage of the handicap parking permit so I should be able to get to the car pretty quickly. Think I’ve got everything under control, except the one thing nobody can control is the weather.

really hope it’s nice and Mac drops a fifty burger on them while the defense pitches a shutout. That would make my birthday celebration damn near perfect.

@long distance were you in or out on Reddick in your thread about FA and such?

Who would we want to pair with Judon, realistically (anyone)?

Hey @BaconGrundleCandy ! Thanks for the reminder to get back into the thread!

Never saw Reddick as PTP. Did enjoy his college tape but thats all. He is before Thanksgiving player. Situational player.
Hed probably be inactive vs BUF :)

There's a reason how his market was despite record sack season. Bottom run defender.
Arizona went other direction despite his low cost and improved up front. Panthers D up and down with him on board.
Hardly noticed he played vs NE apart from putting Wynn on skates that one time.

Id actually go the opposite direction - big all-round edge that knows how to set edge, play run, bull people in QB face. Rush inside with Barmore on 3rd down. Like we had in Flowers.

I doubt they'll be adding edge in FA (maybe for some depth if needed). I do hope they draft one though despite Perkins since its one of the few deep positions in 2022 Draft. Had my eyes on Hutchinson for 2 years but hes now out of reach, liked Leal for NE last yr but had a strange yr, plenty of big EDs this yr, have my early eyes on Travon Walker Day 2.

Im actually quite happy with my boy Wise. He's costing peanuts and doing nice job most of the time.
Still hope Uche can find his spot. Pity they couldn't trade Wino and give Perkins some playing time..

Dont expect much action at front 6/7 - (re)signing/building secondary will be the big task..

I wasn't a hater, but I was definitely a doubter of the Pats run defense. I've still got my worries about what they'll do with the Clots running attack but it's a pleasure to salute a great game. Re-watching it, the Pats were not as dominant as I thought they were when I watched it live, but it was just as enjoyable. Josh Allen had a pretty great game in the circumstances.

The game that it reminded me of was the game against Baltimore in the monsoon last season. If you remember, the Pats were up by 6 when they shut things down: run, run, run, run, run. They didn't get close to field goal range to seal it or even take much time off the clock by getting first downs. Meanwhile, Lamar Jackson was doing Lamar Jackson things, escaping from the pass rush. But Belichick didn't go back on his decision and, finally, if I recall, the Ravens messed up a shotgun snap, lost a ton of yardage and the game was won.

That's Bill Belichick at his greatest. He has a plan and sticks with it. In really bad weather, he will out-conservative you, betting that, sooner or later, mistakes will come.

All last week he blocked questions about the weather in Buffalo and said "We don't know what it will be like. We'll have to see." What a joke! They must have been practising with a 6-man O-line every day.
bill lives by the adage, "more games are LOST than are won".

I think bill is 100 percent correct. How many games have we won against Pittsburgh, the jets and the colts because those team’s coaches lost their teams those games!

I think bill is 100 percent correct. How many games have we won against Pittsburgh, the jets and the colts because those team’s coaches lost their teams those games!
Often it’s only because the victor takes the win when the loser offers it. Super Bowl XLIX is an example, Pats would not have won if Carroll hadn’t made a losing call that would’ve been a winning call if the Pats didn’t make the play.

BB is right, don’t beat yourselves and don’t give opponents the opportunity to beat you.

Often it’s only because the victor takes the win when the loser offers it. Super Bowl XLIX is an example, Pats would not have won if Carroll hadn’t made a losing call that would’ve been a winning call if the Pats didn’t make the play.

BB is right, don’t beat yourselves and don’t give opponents the opportunity to beat you.
Yup - Pats, Bill are the ultimate counter punchers.

Also here's some 90's Salma Hayek. Definitely in the "baddest ever conversation"

Thangs thangin, legs that could squeeze an orange dry and a face you couldn't say no to
IMG_20211211_045944.jpg

IMG_20211211_045947.jpg

IMG_20211211_213320.jpg

Hey @BaconGrundleCandy ! Thanks for the reminder to get back into the thread!

Never saw Reddick as PTP. Did enjoy his college tape but thats all. He is before Thanksgiving player. Situational player.
Hed probably be inactive vs BUF :)

There's a reason how his market was despite record sack season. Bottom run defender.
Arizona went other direction despite his low cost and improved up front. Panthers D up and down with him on board.
Hardly noticed he played vs NE apart from putting Wynn on skates that one time.

Id actually go the opposite direction - big all-round edge that knows how to set edge, play run, bull people in QB face. Rush inside with Barmore on 3rd down. Like we had in Flowers.

I doubt they'll be adding edge in FA (maybe for some depth if needed). I do hope they draft one though despite Perkins since its one of the few deep positions in 2022 Draft. Had my eyes on Hutchinson for 2 years but hes now out of reach, liked Leal for NE last yr but had a strange yr, plenty of big EDs this yr, have my early eyes on Travon Walker Day 2.

Im actually quite happy with my boy Wise. He's costing peanuts and doing nice job most of the time.
Still hope Uche can find his spot. Pity they couldn't trade Wino and give Perkins some playing time..

Dont expect much action at front 6/7 - (re)signing/building secondary will be the big task..

I loved this article. It shows how smart and thoughtful high school football coaches are. Also it shows that there is an alternative to the endless fake-controversy talking heads nonsense that most of the media resort to.

Slight;y off topic, but when I watch the games at Gillette I see a bunch of empty red seats.

Are those the corporate ****s seats that they are tax-deducting and not using??
The thought of that makes my blood boil.

I came back from the Midwest to visit for Christmas. My cousin asked me what I would like to do. I told him I would like to watch Larry Bird play (good call in retrospect).

His company had sky box seats in the garden. We watched the Celtics play the Sacramento Cream Puffs. The game was out of hand early. Larry was done at halftime and they put in Bill Walton. Every time Walton touched the ball the fans went ape.

He said most of the time no one uses the seats. That really pisses me off.

Not the best picture, but you can see approximately 50% vacancy.
1639342258896.png

Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
Back