PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Content Post Words on things I watched, read & heard II

This has an opening post with good commentary and information, which we definitely recommend reading.
What kind of crap D are you running up there, Steve? No run support from your CB's????? Just kidding

You must be doing all man concepts. Easier for HS kids to pick up rotational defenses (to formation or motion) that will make it easier for kids to excel and also add another body vs the run, especially in RPO looks. Secondary's need to work in unison. OK to use "lock on's" when its a sure passing situations and you have some sort of a 5 man rush to speed up the decision making
When we put them in pass first responsibility, we can give them rules to not be peeking in the backfield and get burned on play action. The downside is they can be run off, so the contain guys have to do their job, otherwise your susceptible to long outside runs. Most of the time, the CBs are not great tacklers at our level, so they do less damage out there. We need them to be able to shed blocks and get involved when the run is coming to them. The vast majority of the teams we face are run heavy. Obviously, it's situational. The offense lines up double tight, third and short, and they haven't thrown it more than twice for the whole game... you get the gist.

I need athletic testing and data to complete grades but I have a rough idea of where I'm at after watching a good amount of film. Still have a few positions to go and I always wait on QB until the last minute. I'm in the right ballpark though on where guys will be more or less.

Here's a rough list. Most will change slightly but I have everyone in the right city, just need to put everyone in their houses.

QB

It's no secret I love AR15. He's a project for sure but guys with these tools, traits and size don't come around often. He's got a long way to go before he's able to consistently navigate a game without negative plays or TO imo. He needs a lot of work reading the 2nd level for example but there's so much to like. At times he'll show smooth, balanced footwork quick release and can throw it a mile. He'll set protection or change plays. Crazy arm talent. One of the better runners I've seen recently. You can't start him year one but he's got incredible potential and definitely could use some proper coaching. A lot of talk about Levis being a Allen type prospect and that's off. Levis is more in the Wentz/Palmer mold which isn't a bad thing at all imo. I'm talking stylistically too not how their careers went. But Richardson is so much closer to Allen than Levis. I have no doubt teams will think about him in the top ten. If Hooker wasn't coming off a big injury he would be this years Ridder and still might be. Very good and capable of reading half field. Stick n shoot passer - needs to get in a rhythm for max success. Has tough time when inconsistencies hit. Plus arm can rhrow through a wall. Tough kid with decent feel for pressure. I think Hall is this years Mac give or take. Questions about his arm all over the place but we he lacks in strength he makes for in accuracy, placement and touch. Very cool customer, showed off lots of poise and energy in the pocket. Able to go through his reads no problem from a clean or slpicket with semi pressure. Team player that isn't in it for the stats. He'll need his hand held in terms of scheme. He'll need tip tier targets. He's got plenty to work with but very little margin for error.

RD1

CJ

Young

Late RD1 early 2

AR15

Levis

RD 2

Jaren Hall PTP

Hendon Hooker

RD 4-5

Dorian Thompson-Robinson

Aidan O’Connell

Clayton Tune PTP

Malik Cunningham

Tanner Mckee

RB

Maybe the strongest deepest position. Robinson is a fantastic prospect and if I needed I RB I'd definitely call him up. He's got great lower half flexibility, vision, contact balance, can catch, pass block. He'll run through or over you. He's a tank that's elite at forcing missed tackles. I hate taking RB in 1st RD but hes really ****in good. There's a great argument to pass though. This class is very deep. I really like Eric Gray. He's underrated imo and will be on a team for a while. He's got experience I multiple systems, very smart prospect. He's got some juice coming out his cuts and out a hole. Runs hard but can make you miss with the best of them. Top 5-6 in runs over 10 yards. One of the better pass rec backs in the class for sure. He's got a problem in pass pro. Reading and anticipation of what's to come but he puts in the effort and has improved. Still too many lapses but he's got some potential there. Gibbs is perfect for an OZ team. I'm not sure how he'd do here tbh with you but he's an explosive playmaker on the outside and will be catching a lot of passes out the slot.

RD 1

Robinson PTP

RD 2

Jahmyr Gibbs

Kenny McIntosh PTP

Tank PTP

Zach Charbonnet PTP

Devon Achane

DeWayne McBride PTP

RD 3-4

Chase Brown

Chris Rodriguez PTP

Zach Evans PTP

Travis Dye

Tyjae Spears

Eric Gray

Big fan of Mitchell. He's shifty with plus COD. Can accelerate very quickly and catch passes out the backfield. He's improved in pp but will need to keep making gains there to really stay on the field. Still he has plenty of traits to get your attention.

CB

Devin Witherspoon is so aggressive he's really fun too watch. Ultra aggressive but plays from feet up and probably could utilize his hands a little better. He'll have to get stronger but he's got great attitude, he's physical as all, plus feet and mirror ability. Hips are smooth. Could improve on angles and leverage taken at times but hes ready to play. Gonzalez is super interesting and would be CB1 in most classes. He might be for me depending on how they test out. Only 20. 6'2 203 plus overall athleticism (speed, quicks and COD) Hes very quick and shows no hesitation in the box. Good burst, angle and solid tackling ability. Good burst but good long speed. Aware, head moving while playing WR on deep stuff. Plus tracking. He's got CB1 potential and looks like that guy you want outside. Lot of talk about Saf and CB. I think he's got a good shot at playing Saf later as well bc of his IQ, instincts, run support and tracking ability. Hit 23 mph I believe. Cam Smith is versatile and can play all over. CB, slot, box/saf. Per PFF 22/94 of his targets were broken up or INT. Physical, attitude for days, plays physical from start to catch point.

RD 1

Joey Porter Jr PTP / Christian Gonzalez PTP

Devon Witherspoon PTP

RD 1/2

Clark Phillips PTP

RD 2

Rejzohn Wright PTP

Cam Smith PTP

Kelee Ringo

RD 2-3

DJ Turner

Garrett Williams

Emmanuel Forbes

RD 3

Mekhi Garner

Saf

I think Chris Smith and Antonio Johnson look like NEP. Both are reliable solid tacklers and plenty of experience playing in the box, blitzing and tracking the ball. Smith is a smart dude extra coach on the field but he can absolutely play. Plus ball skills, something he's got over Johnson big time. AJ has terrible ball skills but can breakup a pass and is comfortable there. Just lacking there. Smith can blitz, make plays against the run. Route recognition needs to improve but he's got a lot of potential overall. Sydney Brown reminds me of Chung. Tough prospect who excels underneath playing sub LB, jamming or re-routing, solid tackler. Track background. Has some juice in his steps and has active violent hands. Hit 22 mph I believe.

RD 1/2
Antonio Johnson PTP

Ji’Ayir Brown

RD 2
Ji’Ayir Brown

Brian Branch

Rashad Torrence

Trey Dean PTP

Jammie Robinson

Jordan Battle PTP

Sydney Brown PTP

RD 3

AJ Finley

Brandon Joseph PTP

JL Skinner

Chris Smith PTP

HM mid-late

Quan Martin PTP

Tackle

Everyone is on the Wright-train now and for good reason. He's versatile and could play G imo. Tough, strong, has plus hands and has improved his footwork each year. He's a bit limited athletically but he's a bulldozer. He can slide in pass pro but is a bit limited in space in the run game. He can handle power 1 on 1. Blitz, twist. Elite rushers will get their plays in here and there but Wright will hold his own. And has against some of the best in the country. (LSU/Bama/Florida/Georgia)
Again probably best hands in the draft. Independent, strong, feints, multiple sig moves.

Broderick Jones and Anton Harrison have extremely high ceilings imo. Maybe moreso Jones bc hes a better athlete but both those guys would be easy picks if we had Scar. Jones is a fantastic athlete with quick precise footwork at times but not completely in sync with his hands, lose target in traffic or put himself in a bad position or if he has to work off contact on the move. I've been talking about his hands and feet for a minute. They're good individually but need work together and in live action full speed. Hands are powerful plus grip strength but placement is hit or miss. He's arguably the most versatile tackle in the top 5. He's strong af and will only get stronger. If he puts together his athleticism with improved techniques he could be a top 10 tackle in the league. I've gone back and forth on him a little bit not much but he's got a high ceiling. Multiple traits that make your eyes pop and looks the part with size + length. I'm getting more comfortable with at 14.

RD 1

Paris Johnson / Broderick Jones PTP

RD 1-2

Darnell Wright PTP

Anton Harrison

RD 2

Matthew Bergeron

Dawand Jones PTP

Cody Mauch PTP

RD 3

Jaelyn Duncan

Warren McClendon

RD 4

Tyler Steen PTP

Carter Warren

Blake Freeland

Late - udfa

Asim Richards

Wanya Morris

Richard Gouraige PTP

Last edited:
WR

It seems there's always talent whether it's a hyped class or not. Athleticism is everywhere and kids are training at 10. There's a clear split between X, Z and Slot this year. I think QJ has a Higgins/DK type ceiling. He's prototype size with some NFL ready traits and plenty of room to grow. You can play him anywhere (spent good amount of time in the slot this past year) Hes a yac monster so you can feed him easy touches to get him acquainted to the league. While playing to his strengths using his speed, vertical capability and size. If I'm LAC, Balty, NO or Buffalo I'm hoping him, Hyatt or Addison are in range to either put my wr corp over the top or in Baltys case just add someone needed. They're moving to more tempo spread so I think one of them will be in play. Ill probably be higher on Mims than most. Limited but I think hes really good at what he does. Per PFF he's 10th in contested catch rate. 1st ADot and yard per rec. 2nd in yac per rec. He should run a real 4.3 (4.3 - 4.35) Hes very good off his vert stem. Knows how to set up DBs. Can win at the catch point but at 5'11 it'll be more difficult for sure next level. Still he's a fighter and can finish. Almost 20 per rec (19.5) and 20 TD through three years including 37/610/9 as a true FR I believe. Can return punts in a pinch. Z/Slot flexibility with deep threat capabilities from both. He'll never be a WR1 but is very good at what he does. Potential low-end WR2, high-end WR3. Hutch is another guy that really screams NEP imo. Just a nice blend of size, yac, rr, physicality, speed and toughness. I think he's a big slot bully and Z. Or where he'll find the most success but he can beat press and has good hands on the line. Team captain. Scott and Reed are guys that'll definitely be on my list. I have a rough one now. Will put together something more solid over the weekend with a little more thought. Rn just focusing on the top 75-100.

RD 1

Johnston

Late 1/ early 2

Hyatt

JSN PTP

Addison

RD 2

Downs

Flowers

Mims PTP

Kayshon Boutte

Late 2/ early 3

Dontayvion Wicks PTP

Cedric Tillman PTP

Rashee Rice

Ty Scott PTP

X Hutchinson PTP

Reed PTP

RD 3-4

Ronnie Bell

Charlie Jones PTP

Mingo

Wilson PTP

Last edited:
Guard

It'll be very interesting what teams do with Skoronski. If Wright doesnt have the best hands in the draft, Skor might. His movements, footwork, hands are so good. Just smooth, explosive and efficient. Whether he's kicking out, sliding, climbing his footwork is on point. One of the better lateral movers I've seen recently. Takes textbook angles and positioning. Plus hands, knows how/where to strike, can reset and work through contact. Elite rushers will get in his chest though. And despite how good he is with his hands he's human. He'll miss or occasionally make a mistake but next level it'll be more of an issue imo. He looks like an all pro guard. I just can't ignore the obvious here but we'll see what happens. Torrence is PTP but the value most likely doesn't match. He'd be on the top of our board if we weren't set for starters there. I like Avila a lot. Him and Mazi Smith had a battle. Played C/G. Hes a power player with really good control, grip strength and body positioning helping him at the poa. High hands, head up, elbows in. He looks like he was born for gap concepts. Over a 1k snaps without a sack and like one pressure every 100 snaps. Not for everyone but a team like NE, worth a look. Bradford is another guy I like for us but he might be a few years too late? Gap/Power prospect that works well in a phone booth. Plays with an edge. Loves mauling, combos, run game in general as most OL do. Bodyguard feel to his game. Plus grip strength doesn't lose control once he grabs you. Good overall technique, functional strength and quicks.

RD 1

Peter Skoronski PTP

O’Cyrus Torrence PTP

RD 2-3

Andrew Vorhees PTP

Steve Avila PTP

Vs Mazi Smith

RD 3-4

Jaxson Kirkland PTP

Anthony Bradford

Nick Broeker PTP

Jordan McFadden

RD 5

Nick Saldiveri

Center

Three potential top 50 picks imo. All three are plus athletes, can be the voice at the line and are very versatile when you factor everything they do. All natural zone fits imo. All very vocal. Plus awareness vs blitz, games up front. Plus movements even Tipp at 6'6. He'll lose balance at times but all can work on/away from the line. Smooth pulling. All three look like potential starters. JMS has plus lateral movements, loves to engage and finish. Wypler has great recovery, accurate hands and plays with proper footwork. Tippmann's techniques are plus and advanced and he's a big big boy. Heavy hands, always fires out stance with bad intentions and might be the best in pp. Patterson can play C and G in a pinch. Looks like a backup rn but loves coaching and has always shown a high IQ.

Late 1 / early 2

Luke Wypler / John Michael Schmitz PTP

Joe Tipmann PTP

RD 3
Alex Forsyth

Ricky Stromberg

RD 3-4
Jarrett Patterson PTP

Emil Ekiyor

Olu Oluwatimi

TE

Kincaid is a silky smooth rr who's still very much learning the position. Practically brand new. He's someone QBhave no problem throwing to. He presents himself as a big target. Reliable hands thay are always open, big catch radius, plus concentration and tracking. He's got some nuance to his routes already and has a great feel. Athletic backgrounds focused on basketball. It shows when he's moving and navigating through bodies. Instincts are there. Real potential to be a playmaker. Long way to go as a blocker but he can handle small stuff off the line. Musgrave doesn't get enough attention imo. Extremely agile, quick feet, easy mover at 6'5 255. He's got potential as an inline blocker with some technique work and add strength. Lots of effort and fight though. Knows how to use tempo and use his stride length. Very nice burst off the line or going into a catch. He's coming off an injury and could present good value to a team looking to develop a 3 down guy. Obviously Mayer is a fine prospect. He'll be TE1 on a lot of boards. In terms of impact I'm not taking him at 14. Value isn't there but he's a fine prospect. He's just not moving the needle enough for you on offense to command a top 15 or 20 pick imo but he's a really good prospect. Especially with guys like Washington, Musgrave on the board. Supply will be there. Schoonmaker is another kid not getting enough love. Big time potential as a blocked. He can get underneath and dig out. Has a little trouble sustaining at times but generally good technique and always plus effort. Plus footwork blocking, getting out of breaks, sideline etc Hes got a lot of potential as well. Washington is everyones favorite and for good reason. Good class with depth.

Late 1/ early 2

Kincaid PTP

Musgrave PTP

Mayer

Washington PTP

RD 2-3

Schoonmaker PTP

Sam LaPorta

Allen

RD 4-5

Kraft

Whyle

Rd 5

Brenton Strange

LB

Not the worst group but it's not exactly traditional. Sanders is right up Bill's alley and I can't put it past him to take him somewhere RD1. Tough kid that when his mental catches up to his physical could be a top 10 LB in this league. Has a little trouble with diagnosing behind the los and has to get stronger but he's a weapon if used right. Can rush from anywhere with a few good moves mainly swim and plus footwork, good hands. He's able to attack vertically and can close off space laterally - los / sideline. Henley has some explosion to his game both vertically and laterally. Sideline to sideline guy and can cover up field/seam. Lots of upside in coverage. Great overall feel for the position. Experience at WR/QB helps but this kid is watching film daily. Can navigate through through traffic. Used as a rusher. Hes a good one. Graham is someone I could see here. Big time attitude, energy and instincts.

RD 1

Sanders PTP

RD 1-2

Henley PTP

Simpson

Campbell

RD 3

Noah Sewell

Drake Thomas

Henry To’oTo’o

RD4

Amari Burney

Ventrell Miller

Isaiah Moore PTP

Jalen Graham PTP

RD 5

Dorian Williams

Rejzohn Wright with early day 2 love? In the words of Vinnie Vega, that's a bold statement.
Versatile. Physical. Lots of upside in man if he can up his run support. I think you'll hear about him there eventually. I'm usually ahead of these things :)

IDL

Karl Brooks was a two-time captain with a plus first step. Comes at you in sync, full force. He's not a top gapper rn and maybe never will be consistently but he could be nice little project behind Barmore. Like traits. Like the production. Like the potential versatility to play 3T - end in odd fronts. I wouldn't mind adding one of Ika or Smith. Whoever falls, if they fall into the 3rd. Athletic, strong af and both have good play recognition. Smith's strength is legendary and I have Ika slightly higher rn. Either one would be a nice add after the 2nd. Young and Dex look like patriot guys. Ika is 6'5 355 and he's not Vea he's a good athlete with a nice burst off the line. He'll never be a pass rusher but he can occasionally make a play and push a pocket. Good job gaining a little position with that quickness and making himself immovable from the los. Plus grip strength that just controls lineman when he gets inside hands. He does a great job getting skinny and reducing his massive surface. He's a day one 0-1 tech. Both him and Smith are natural two gappers. Ika could improve on keeping his head and eyes up but both are NFL ready bully.

RD 1

Carter

RD 2 - 3

Bryan Bresee PTP

Siaki Ika PTP

Mazi Smith PTP

Calijah Kancey

RD 3

Karl Brooks PTP

RD 3-4

Gervon Dexter PTP

Jaquelin Roy

Byron Young PTP

RD 4-5

Zacch Pickens

Keondre Coburn

Keeanu Benton

Cam Young

IDL

Karl Brooks was a two-time captain with a plus first step. Comes at you in sync, full force. He's not a top gapper rn and maybe never will be consistently but he could be nice little project behind Barmore. Like traits. Like the production. Like the potential versatility to play 3T - end in odd fronts. I wouldn't mind adding one of Ika or Smith. Whoever falls, if they fall into the 3rd. Athletic, strong af and both have good play recognition. Smith's strength is legendary and I have Ika slightly higher rn. Either one would be a nice add after the 2nd. Young and Dex look like patriot guys. Ika is 6'5 355 and he's not Vea he's a good athlete with a nice burst off the line. He'll never be a pass rusher but he can occasionally make a play and push a pocket. Good job gaining a little position with that quickness and making himself immovable from the los. Plus grip strength that just controls lineman when he gets inside hands. He does a great job getting skinny and reducing his massive surface. He's a day one 0-1 tech. Both him and Smith are natural two gappers. Ika could improve on keeping his head and eyes up but both are NFL ready bully.

RD 1

Carter

RD 2 - 3

Bryan Bresee PTP

Siaki Ika PTP

Mazi Smith PTP

Calijah Kancey

RD 3

Karl Brooks PTP

RD 3-4

Gervon Dexter PTP

Jaquelin Roy

Byron Young PTP

RD 4-5

Zacch Pickens

Keondre Coburn

Keeanu Benton

Cam Young

Is it just me, or does Ika seem TOO aggressive to get up field and ends up taking himself out of plays. On the one sack, any PRO QB steps up into the hole opened up there and possibly takes off for 6-7 yards (or more) instead of dropping back further.

Is it just me, or does Ika seem TOO aggressive to get up field and ends up taking himself out of plays. On the one sack, any PRO QB steps up into the hole opened up there and possibly takes off for 6-7 yards (or more) instead of dropping back further.
At times but you never know what they're asked to do in specific situations. Sometimes coaches will ask their best players to sell out in certain situations. Him specifically he's so big it always looks worse when he gets beat or is out of position but I get what you're saying.

Rush/Edge

Deep group. Like the draft on a whole, not many, if any prospects worth a top ten pick (1). A few solid mid-late 1st round value guys and a lot two through four. I think White could be a really good prospect/project for a guy like Bill. I know everyone wants to "win now" but he looks like someone Bill would want to coach up in the summer. 6'5 almost 300 with real athleticism. Good movements - quicks, burst and bend with heavy hands. He's got no idea what he's doing some of the time but his flashes combined with size & athleticism are extremely intriguing. Murphy is a classic PTP imo. Versatile end that can line up outside but kick inside bc of his size/length. Long, powerful guy, good run defender. Very young still learning and hopefully developing. I go back and forth on
Tuipulotu. Very intriguing bc of his size (6'5 290) movements and versatility. He rushed everywhere for USC. Standing up, edge, inside, hand on the ground, 4 pt stance. Hes crafty, uses patience well and again just fluid for his size. Plus hand usage, leverage and motor. He needs a little technique work. Good instincts but could play a little faster at times. He's got some work to do but boy is he fun! Ojulari is a also very fun if you like rushers. Smart prospect that plays with a touch of patience at 100 mph. Plus closing speed, efficiency when running the arc. Lots of speed to power with using natural leverage. Loves using the long arm. Versatile, lined up in multiple spots.

RD 1

Will Anderson

Wilson

Murphy PTP

RD 2

McDonald like up in 4i/5t a good amount. Check him out finish the spin with an ice pick to seal the deal. It's not absolutely necessary but it helps shed that extra space and gives you an idea of how far away you are from the lineman. Again McDonald brings a lot of juice off the snap. Immediate pressure with his speed. He's got a nice array from swipes, uses his length well on long arm or off stabs. Can dip and duck or dip and rip. Explosive agile and loves to finish. He's going to make a team very happy. Especially if it's the 49ers or LVR. Where he gets to play #2 and not have a ton of eyes on him.

RD 2 - 3

Tuipulotu PTP

Keion White PTP

Derrick Hall PTP

BJ Ojulari

RD 3

Van Ness

Foskey

Anudike-Uzomah

RD 4 - 5
Brenton Cox

Loves that long arm. Shows off some nice flexibility and lateral movements here as well. Able to be effective from different spots - mainly bc of his burst/closing speed but he's agile and smooth as you can see when he crosses 64 face.

This is what I mean when I talk about Jones hands and feet. Also why I hate the two hand approach. One arm is longer than two and you see it here. Let's 18 make first contact who then controls outside hand and reduces contact with long arm. Slide and depth are nonexistent which doesn't kill him initially but does him in once those hands are useless.

Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Back