PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Woody Johnson Clear Cut Tampered Re: Revis

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not expecting the Pats to receive any draft pick compensation. I think the league will heavily fine Woody and possibly take away a (mid round) pick and forbid them from signing Revis.

If you're Darrelle Revis are you happy with the league telling you that you cannot sign with a particular team?

I don't think the league can legally do that.

The real question is who the Patriots take with the jets first rounder?

What is it, #6?
Leonard Williams, DT/DE - USC. The dude is as dominant as dominant can be.

Not expecting the Pats to receive any draft pick compensation. I think the league will heavily fine Woody and possibly take away a (mid round) pick and forbid them from signing Revis.

Winner Winner Chicken Dinner.

That is exactly the only option I can see for the league.

The only comp to the Pats would be taking away the right of the Jets to sign Revis (either that or - if they sign Revis THEN they have to give appropriate compensation to the Pats). That plus the fine and loss of a mid round pick to the Jets. All the fantasizing about what the Pats would do with the Jets first round pick at this early point is fun to read, but unrealistic.

Last edited:
Wow, Deus has never been more right.

Until his next post... ;)

While, I'm not on board with his admitted hyperbole of a 1st round pick in compensation, he IS absolutely right.

I expect NE to report this and the NFL to find NJ guilty of tampering. Then they can swap picks in the 5th round (as was done back in 2011 when DET tampered with KC).

Oh, Goodell is commissioner? Forget everything I just wrote.

I liked your idea right up to the part when you mentioned Goodell. The problem is that Kraft wouldn't push for punishment against Johnson. I would, I would be all over TV and in the press demanding what you suggested and force Goodell into making a decision that would favor the Pats. But then I don't have any money, different rules for those that do. I shouldn't say rules but instead punishment and maybe that's not the word. Help please.

The Jets should not be allowed to bid on Revis and subjected to a pick swap (4th or 6th). This is Woody's second violation and done after a written warning.

The real question is who the Patriots take with the jets first rounder?

What is it, #6?

I tend to prefer to deal in what might actually happen or is likely to happen. The above is similar to a post where someone suggests trading Arrington to Detroit for Megatron. You cannot really think that the NFL is going to take the Jets first and give it to us can you????
Rather than fantasy, lets deal with reality and what is plausible. Surely this is a more constructive addition to the discussion.

Our "favorite" lawyer, Mike Florio, now weighs in:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/12/29/woody-johnson-tampers-with-darrelle-revis/

"Yes, it would be a very good idea for Jets owner Woody Johnson to surrender the keys to the car. Or, at a minimum, to learn how to properly drive it.

In his Monday press conference regarding the decision to fire coach Rex Ryan and G.M. John Idzik, Johnson committed a textbook tampering violation regarding Patriots cornerback Darrelle Revis.......

.....Regardless of what happens next, it’s clear that Johnson violated the policy as written."

Until his next post... ;)

While, I'm not on board with his hyperbole of a 1st round pick in compensation, he IS right.

I support first round compensation completely. Top ten player who will be entering conract negotiations this offseason and his former owner says he wants him back? It doesn't get any worse than that.

Winner Winner Chicken Dinner.

That is exactly the only option I can see for the league.

The only comp to the Pats would be taking away the right of the Jets to sign Revis (either that or - if they sign Revis THEN they have to give up a first rounder to the Pats). That plus the fine and loss of a mid round pick to the Jets. All the fantasizing about what the Pats would do with the Jets first round pick at this early point is fun to read, but unrealistic.

Definitely fun, but for some reason jetfan left?

How about if the patriots get to sign him but it counts against the jets cap?

Works for me.

Latest word out of New York, Woody Johnson is having someone clean his office while he looks for someone to blame for his latest blunder

Can't see the Pats getting anything out of this, but the Jets should have to pony up something. It's almost as if Woody Johnson was quoting the example of tampering when he made his comments. What an idiot.

It's a nuisance for the Pats to divert attention to something that has nothing to do with them winning playoff games, but I'm sure somebody in the staff can file the charges, and if it hurts the Jets, it ain't bad.

No matter what punishment Woody Johnson gets for tampering, it can't be any worse than the punishment Jets fans have having to endure Johnson as the owner of their favorite team.

As much fun as I have had with this it is actually far more serious than it initially looked because Johnson has now made clear that he is a suitor for Revised, and that has real and serious implications for the Patriots negotiations with him. The Patriots should push this as hard as they possibly can, and if he somehow ended up in NY they should get two firsts, including this years as compensation.

Personally....I'd let it go. Having this Asshat as the owner of the Jets is the best thing we could ask for. Punishment might force a path to them getting some actually competent owners.

Personally....I'd let it go. Having this Asshat as the owner of the Jets is the best thing we could ask for. Punishment might force a path to them getting some actually competent owners.
It doesn't work that way. That's what being the -owner- means.

If Goodell doesn't severely punish the Jets for this, Kraft should be outraged. And I don't think Goodell can afford to outrage one of the more influential owners in the league at this time. Not only were the Jets warned about this earlier this year, it goes to an institutional pattern of this kind of misbehavior. This is the same organization that was heavily fined and penalized for tampering with Bill Parcells back in 96.

Ken, you have to know that Kraft is Mr Can't We All Get Along. Look at his "Please May I Have Another" submissiveness with the over the top unprecedented punishment for SpyGate. Even acquiescing to the Comissioner's ridiculous penalties Kraft needed to insist that Herr Goodell clarify WHAT the Pats were punished for. He did not.

As much fun as I have had with this it is actually far more serious than it initially looked because Johnson has now made clear that he is a suitor for Revised, and that has real and serious implications for the Patriots negotiations with him. The Patriots should push this as hard as they possibly can, and if he somehow ended up in NY they should get two firsts, including this years as compensation.

I agree. It's an uphill battle but the circumstances are a bit different here from other tampering situations.

As of right now, Revis is
A) Still playing
B) Still under contract AND under contract for 2015.

It is ASSUMED that at the end of the season (or maybe it's happening now?) the Pats and Revis will discuss the framework for a restructured deal. If the sides can't come to an agreement, the Pats will cut Revis and make him a FA. In that scenario, in all liklihood Revis is gone and the Pats have a $5m cap charge to live with.

With Woody making his statement, he does interject himself as an interested 3rd party in Revis's services when under the league's bylaws, is prohibited in doing so.

This will be very interesting.

It's worse that he implied that the cost of NE signing him was low enough.

We've been negotiating with Revis all season on a restructure (per various media sources). This will absolutely affect those talks but calculating damages is not possible.

I tend to prefer to deal in what might actually happen or is likely to happen. The above is similar to a post where someone suggests trading Arrington to Detroit for Megatron. You cannot really think that the NFL is going to take the Jets first and give it to us can you????
Rather than fantasy, lets deal with reality and what is plausible. Surely this is a more constructive addition to the discussion.

The reality is that the NFL, in the past, has punished tampering teams by taking away a draft pick and forcing a draft pick swap with the injured part, in addition. Therefore, we aren't discussing something that's fantasy. We're discussing which round draft pick(s) would be appropriate under the particular circumstances currently involved.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes