PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Will Sony make this team?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Harris didn't choose to pretty much sit out his entire rookie year. He is clearly a decent RB who looks promising after one year of starting. Sony actually was better than Harris last year when he played IMO but its taken 3 years for michel to get to the point of being the player i hoped he might be. I think people prefer Harris over Michel based on Michels first two years but mainly his second year when he didn't look that great.
He was also playing hurt and had to have his knee drained. Those stats above are from the same point - end of second year - in their respective contracts.

Michel's rookie year was WAY better than Harris's second year. 500 more yards rushing many more TDs.

Never said or thought he was a "superstar." Your opinion is just that, as well. And hardly backed up by the fact that Michel wasn't redshirted, but Harris was, and Michel was still the lead back until he got hurt in 2020.

And I didn't say he would go for 900 this coming year - it will all depend on health, his and Harris's (who couldn't get through a season, either...it's that kind of position).

Harris was activated in October of 2020 when Michel went on IR. it's notable that when he returned from that quad injury, Michel averaged more YPC than Harris. I like Harris better as a pure runner than Michel, but Michel has always been the better blocker, and I think he could have been used better with some passes thrown his way. He can handle that well - he got more than 20 catches/year in his last 2 years at Georgia.

He's been a good and solid RB for the Pats and was instrumental in their SB run his rookie year. I doubt he's got many years left, certainly very few as a potential lead RB (I could see him becoming a 3rd-down back, though), but he did what he was brought in to do and I doubt BB regrets the pick.
So then Sony is better than Harris because Harris redshirted his rookie year and Sony didn't? If you gave the two running backs identical uniforms with no numbers and watched them play without knowing who is who I can't imagine many people are going to pick Michel over Harris.

You laughed at the fact that I said Sony will probably have 150 carries for around 600 yards and said he was good for 900 his first two years. Sony was the lead back his first two years and lost his starting job last year. On top of losing his starting job he now has another RB who may potentially take carries away from him so it is unlikely Sony will see enough carries to plod is way to 900 yards again.

Harris seemed to be a solid pass blocker last year and is already a better runner so it looks like it is his job to lose. I know Sony caught passes at Georgia but that doesn't really do us any good here. I would like to see either Harris or Sony involved in the passing game because I think that would open things up for them as runners.

Sony had more rushing opportunities but Harris had a better Y/A. Both averaged the same amount of yards per game (Y/G) ...

Sony 2018...
1620763068635.png

Harris 2020...
1620763114466.png

Okay. He's played 12 games and he's halfway through his rookie contract. At this point in their respective contracts:

Michel: 29 games 1,843 yards rushing, 13 tds, 144 yards receiving
Harris : 12 games, 703 yards rushing, 2 tds, 52 yards receiving

So yeah, Michel sucks and Harris is Derek Henry.

Bottom line: he almost certainly won't finish his rookie deal with as many yards as the "injury prone" and "terrible" Michel had through his rookie deal.

I'm not saying Michel is a bad player. Just not a fan of burning a 1st for him. We can argue whether Harris is better than Michel or not but getting Harris in the 3rd round, was a much better decision.

by the fact that Michel wasn't redshirted, but Harris was, and Michel was still the lead back until he got hurt in 2020.

This means nothing. Only means the offensive staff had no clue who was good or bad. See Jacobi Meyers buried on the bench until Oct24 when NKeal Harry got hurt. Buried for no good reason.

Give the kid his props. It's not like they took him in the top-10/20, and he's done and will do, as much for this team as Chandler Jones ever did, and you never see Jones getting the kind of crap that Sony gets.

Because it was a good decision to take a defensive end who may end up in the Hall of Fame. And not a good decision to burn a 1st round pick on a commodity-class position (running back). To be fair I also don't like drafting offensive guards or field goal kickers too high either....

Michel has a ton of reasons to have a mobster year, especially running behind that monster offensive line.

Michel has a ton of reasons to have a mobster year, especially running behind that monster offensive line.

capone640-VwoVDe.jpeg

Johnson won't count on the PS and the rules for bouncing players back and forth essentially make a 55-man roster, from what I can see.

So, Keane or Stevenson becomes the 53 fullback and Johnson is there to come up when needed, maybe?

Sony should easily make the team (5.7 ypc last year). I hope they THROW to him a lot. They finally did it a couple of times later last year and he handled it well. He's great "in space."
That's not how Johnson's Roster exemption works at all.

He was also playing hurt and had to have his knee drained. Those stats above are from the same point - end of second year - in their respective contracts.

Michel's rookie year was WAY better than Harris's second year. 500 more yards rushing many more TDs.
It's not as if Harris played on a team (2020) that was playing from behind a considerable portion of the season (unlike 2018) with a QB who called his own number at the goal line incessantly.

Keene is about the same size as Jakob Johnson. If he can block anything like Johnson, he might take that spot, particularly since Johnson can be put on the PS without costing us a spot.

There's a camp battle there, for sure, between the three (and heck, Stevenson might get some reps there, too).

Where do you keep getting this erroneous information about Johnson being put on the PS and not costing anything.

The roster exemption is for the 90 man roster. Nothing else.

During Johnson's first year, when the Pats originally put him on the PS, they had to declare then if they wanted him eligible to be promoted. If he was to be promoted, he WOULD count against the PS. If not, then he'd been ineligible for the entire season and wouldn't count against the PS limit.

Not sure why you think differently, but what you've stated is incorrect.

Just read the last two pages here, so I'll make this short & sweet:

Nick Chubb was a better prospect than Soreknee, especially for what the Patriots needed from a RB at the time.

Chubb is inarguably AND unequivocally the better pro than Soreknee. Period.

Chubb would've produced just as much in 2018 as Soreknee did...Probably more.

Billy & Little Nicky & etc couldn't even choose the right Running Back FROM THE SAME OFFENSIVE ****ING BACKFIELD....That's like Don Sweeney choosing Jake Zboril instead of HIS OWN DAMN PARTNER FROM THE SAME DAMN TEAM Thomas Chabot.

You're welcome. Class dismissed.

Nick Chubb was a better prospect than Soreknee, especially for what the Patriots needed from a RB at the time.

Billy & Little Nicky & etc couldn't even choose the right Running Back FROM THE SAME OFFENSIVE ****ING BACKFIELD....That's like Don Sweeney choosing Jake Zboril instead of HIS OWN DAMN PARTNER FROM THE SAME DAMN TEAM Thomas Chabot.

You're a hoot. So full of yourself and totally clueless about Football (and Hockey it would appear).

You have ZERO way of knowing if Chubb would have done anything in 2018 with the Pats. He could have very easily gone down with injury at the 1st TC.. You don't know. Pretending like you do is your 30/5000 hindsight..

Chubb and Sony were rated as 1st round prospects. If Chubb was so great, why wasn't he the 2nd RB off the board after Batkley?? I guess that you're smarter than the Seahawks GM as well, Nostradamus...

Hell, why don't you explain why the Browns passed on Chubb TWICE before taking him as the 3rd pick of the second round. Explain that one legitimately and many you might have some credibility.

Captain, I think you have a secrete admirer on this board who comments on everyone of your posts

If you look at the draft profiles of both players pre draft then that isn't actually true. Both players were rated highly with some thinking Michel had the edge others Chubb but it wasn't obvious that Chubb was the better prospect. I actually think last year Michel actually looked more like the player i saw in college. He was much more elusive and seemed to have more quickness. maybe it was having his knee drained or perhaps the lighter workload or maybe both?

Short, sweet and factual...

Chubb couldn't pass block, still struggles with pass blocking so the Brown's use Kareem Hunt there instead.

The Pats took Sony because their QB was 41 years old and they needed a starter who could replace what Dion Lewis gave them.

Pass blocking matters, ask Alex Smith if pass blocking from RB's is important... this isn't fantasy football.

You won't be asked to teach a class on actual football anytime soon.

Is this team better in 2021 without Michel than with him? Is Michel's cap hit preventing us from obtaining a better player?

If you answered "no" to these questions, then Sony Michel will be on the team next year. The only exception being if he is included in a package for a better player at a position of need.

Wish we knew what they are seeing and will see in camp between now and the 53 being set. Jay Z christ, May. ARGH.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes