PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Will Sony make this team?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Last season Taylor rushed 23 times for 110 yards while White rushed 35 times for 121 yards. That's 4.8 against 3.5 YPC. OK, those stats are only a part of the picture, but you shouldn't be surprised if some of us like the look of Taylor.

I also remember Ivan Fears talking pretty glowingly about him early in the season. I think he sees some good things to work with there, and now that Scarnecchia is gone, Fears might be the best (or at least most experienced) position coach on the team. He compared him to Dion Lewis in some areas. Doesn't mean squat until he shows more on the field, but it gives me some hope this kid can be a playmaker.

Last season Taylor rushed 23 times for 110 yards while White rushed 35 times for 121 yards. That's 4.8 against 3.5 YPC. OK, those stats are only a part of the picture, but you shouldn't be surprised if some of us like the look of Taylor.
And Sony Michel rushed 79 times for 449 yards for 5.7 yards per carry and people want to cut him. Taylor is a jag to me until he proves otherwise.

And Sony Michel rushed 79 times for 449 yards for 5.7 yards per carry and people want to cut him. Taylor is a jag to me until he proves otherwise.

I don't want to cut Sony or J.J. "Proof" is difficult if you're a rookie, but watch this and tell me that that doesn't impress you. He's powerful and direct but uses his (small) size to elude tacklers.

I cannot imagine he'd be cut. I think this is his final season here though.

I don't want to cut Sony or J.J. "Proof" is difficult if you're a rookie, but watch this and tell me that that doesn't impress you. He's powerful and direct but uses his (small) size to elude tacklers.

Why'd they stop playing JJ? I liked him. Reminded me of Dion Lewis, hard to take down for a little guy. Might not be great in pass protection though, could explain why he couldn't play much.

Why'd they stop playing JJ? I liked him. Reminded me of Dion Lewis, hard to take down for a little guy. Might not be great in pass protection though, could explain why he couldn't play much.
Taylor had an illness and a serious quad injury most the latter 1/2 of the year.

There is no need to move Michel and he is needed.
Harris and Michel will split the RB role, white is 3rd down back. The rookie is probably inactive most of the season as rookie rbs normally are here. Taylor is on the bubble. Bolden is a special teamer so his job security isn’t any more related to the other rbs than slaters is to other wrs.

Michel can not catch a break. OK he is not OJ Simpson, but he has not been a bust and was a major contributor to the SB win over LA.
People still butt hurt over his draft position, which means nothing the day after the draft. If it did, Taylor wouldn't be on the team, how dare a UDFA upset the BSPN draft industrial complex apple cart?

I think it's far too early to have any certainty as to how this will shake out. Sony is here and his numbers were better last year. On the other hand, Belichick thinks so highly of Michel that he didn't pick up the 5th year option. Some of you need to find a way to make that fit in with your adoration and championing of Sony, and then find a way to weave the rookie draftee into the pattern of the RB room.

I knew Deus and 203 would show up to complain about Sony. Must be slow over on the Tampa forum.

Sony is a good back and had an amazing superbowl run a couple years ago. He is a good deal for his production at his current salary. I wouldn't be surprised at all if he is brought back the following year at a price similar to what he is currently getting, depending upon how he does this year.

I knew Deus and 203 would show up to complain about Sony. Must be slow over on the Tampa forum.

Sony is a good back and had an amazing superbowl run a couple years ago. He is a good deal for his production at his current salary. I wouldn't be surprised at all if he is brought back the following year at a price similar to what he is currently getting, depending upon how he does this year.
I didn't complain about Sony, even a teenie tiny bit, so why would you make such a dishonest post?

Go J.J. All 5' 6" of him.

No Sony Michel in this insanely-early version of the 53-man roster. If Stevenson shows he can play well enough to handle some of the between-the-tackles workload as a rookie, that could put Michel's job in peril. The Georgia product is not a significant factor in the passing game or on special teams. Stevenson comes billed as someone who can catch, pass-protect and play on "teams."

Because Harris is going to be the top option when healthy, the No. 2 slot might go to the player who can do more. That could be Stevenson. Bolden is here as a special-teamer. Taylor is here as a sub back reserve. There really are two positions in the running back room, and it might behoove the Patriots to have an understudy for White ready to go in case of emergency. Patriots running backs coach Ivan Fears complimented Taylor at every opportunity last season, comparing him to Dion Lewis.

Phil Perry's very early Patriots 53-man roster projection

Phil currently has Michel as an odd man out.

Florio, Simms?
I see the problem right here.
Sony makes the 53 or is traded. Not cut. Why?
Remember this grasshopper, RBs get injured. Hopefully, no silly moves well before the trade deadline.

Getting rid of Sony would be pointless.
They currently have

2 FBs (Johnson, Vitale)
1 STRB (Bolden)
1 3dRB (White)
1 ?RB (Taylor)
3 RB1/RB2 (Harris/Michel/Stevenson)

Even if you take Bolden out of the equation, and consider him to be 100% ST only, you're still looking at 7 RBs. If you're keeping the FB position, that means that at least one of the Johnson/Vitale duo is staying, which means you still have at least 6 RBs.

So, it seems that, barring some injury, the team is looking at possibly at least 1 more cut at the position. So...

• Given how this team has historically treated top round draft picks, that would seem to indicate that Stevenson is safe, unless he shows as an absolute dud.
  • Given that they just brought White back, he would seem to be safe.
  • Given that Harris was the RB1 last year, and is the younger player, he would seem to be safe.
  • Given that Stevenson/Harris/Michel would leave 3 RB1 types on the roster, and Stevenson is thought to have passing game ability

That would seem (repeat seem) to indicate that, as of now, if you're carrying one FB and only carrying 5 FB/RBs on the roster, the battle for a last spot would be coming down to Taylor v. Michel. *

*Obviously, the decision to go with 6, or 7, total RBs to start the season would change the equation, and some thought process leading the team to think one or more of the players could make it to the practice squad could also impact the thought process.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back