PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Will Pats alter Cam Newtons playing style?

Status
Not open for further replies.
i think more like Cam has to alter to Pats style

Cam has already run the Ernhardt-Perkins offense, they'll use him similarly to Cassel. A lot of rolling pockets, some play action, RPO type plays and lots of running the ball by the RB's. They don't need Cam or Stidham to run a lot, just enough to move the sticks.
Part of Newton’s career of being quasi-effective throwing the ball is the advantage his running ability creates. Without that running ability you end up with an inaccurate pocket qb who has never been a pocket qb.

I hope you miss Letsbe Franc too, Waxy:headscratch:

I don't think you can change his playing style or should you. To survive the season, he probably has to, though. Little bit of a Catch-22. He makes his living intimidating tacklers with his running style. His running style wears down his effectiveness over a season. So....*helpless shrug*

BB has shown over the years that he wants to put his players in a position to what they do well. So I think they will adapt more to Cam style than make Cam play like Brady.

Newton can't take the hits he has in the past. Hopefully BB can protect him better than his former coaches and make NFL refs actually call penalties when he takes cheap shots.

Remember in '07, the braintrusts in the Boston sports media were speculating that the Pats were going to cut Moss before the season started because they didn't see anything out of him in pre-season. Instead BB waited for the regualr season and unleashed Moss. I see him doing the same thing with Newton, no real off season, nobody is going to have tape on what the Pats will do. I think much like BB changed the Pats offense to keep up with Peyton's offense, he is going to change the Pats into the Ravens and beat them at their own game.

I don't think you can change his playing style or should you. To survive the season, he probably has to, though. Little bit of a Catch-22. He makes his living intimidating tacklers with his running style. His running style wears down his effectiveness over a season. So....*helpless shrug*

well im not saying dont run. Just not have it be a main option. Or know when to slid when running not to take a big hit.

Russell wilson is a mobile QB but he rarely has gotten injured.

part of the reason for the supposed-decline in cam the last 2 years is injuries. in 2018 he was playing well 1st half of the year then injured his shoulder. Then 2019 injured his foot...The guy like many other running QB's took alot of unnecessary hits. I wonder if Bill will try and change his play style somewhat.

I know its hard to say, because we have had several guys like Edelman/Gronk play the same way...full tilt and took hits they probably couldve avoided. but at the same time QB is the most important position and you need to think about playing smart. when to run, when to slide, when to go for the extra yard.

Russell wilson is a good example of a guy who still runs and uses his athleticism but doesn't take unnecessary hits
Russell Wilson IS and is the size of a middle infielder....Cam Newton is the size of a tight end...kind of not as easy for Newton to avoid "unecessary" hits....

Given Stidham and Newton's totally different styles, it will be interesting to see how Josh develops an offense that will complement both.

I guess you never saw a difference in TB and the game plan from 2001 to 2019.
The offense adjusted more to the changes in personnel at RB, TE & WR over the years than to Brady's maturation at QB...otherwise it's been basically the same system, language, route concepts etc.

Not bashing Cam or insinuating anything negative. Simply a post..

well im not saying dont run. Just not have it be a main option. Or know when to slid when running not to take a big hit.

Russell wilson is a mobile QB but he rarely has gotten injured.

I don't think that the run is the MAIN option for any top QB with the exception of Jackson.

Another pretty good video that goes beyond surface level arguments why Cam to the Pats might be a good match:

It was uploaded yesterday, not sure if it was posted somewhere else already.

I’m just hoping they change his dressing style. Not sure I want to watch post games with people wearing boas and weird hats

Serious question: I've seen Cam highlights and the few games weve played against them... but what type of offense did Carolina run with CAM?

Did they do lots of RPO type plays? Designed runs? Bootlegs? Or did they prefer him in pocket and he just happened to make plays on broken plays scrambling?

Any similarities to Pats offense?

I know he liked throwing to Olsen but was that just because his WR's kind of stink outside of Steve Smith (I think they overlapped a couple of years?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes