PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Will Garoppolo still be a Patriot when the draft ends?

THE HUB FOR PATRIOTS FANS SINCE 2000

MORE PINNED POSTS:
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

Will Garoppolo still be a Patriot when the draft ends?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
It would seem extremly unlikely that Butler and Jimmy get traded now, still dont get why you are hanging onto Jimmy G though. You can tag one of those guys next year and it seems really stupid to let your #1 CB go so you tag your backup QB

I'm not even sure BB knows how this will all shake out.

I know I know.
Just sometimes when I read some of the posts it sounds like Brady is worthless and BB would have won the 5 SBs with anyone.
And just to clarify, I think Jimmy will be pretty good. But he will be much closer to Bledsoe than Brady (which isn't that bad) as far as success.
Other than JG having absolutely no resemblance to Bledsoe in either physical makeup or playing style, what makes you say so?

Schefter as usual, was right again.

It would seem extremly unlikely that Butler and Jimmy get traded now, still dont get why you are hanging onto Jimmy G though. You can tag one of those guys next year and it seems really stupid to let your #1 CB go so you tag your backup QB

Because the team essentially already moved on from Butler. Just because he is here another year via the very cheap RFA tender doesn't mean he is in play for an extension next year. Consider Butler and JG emergency fallbacks if something serious were to happen to Brady or Gilmore.

Schefter as usual, was right again.

Yep. And lets add this on top:

Just so we can avoid the stupid discussion of how "nobody offered anything of value". BB clearly values the backup position and doesn't care about any of the usual suspect's opinion or draft picks without names attached to them.

Guess we are in to hear how stupid BB was not to take those picks, right ?

Just to be clear this is not directed at you @slash83 but the usual suspects that think they "understand" how BB operates.

Last edited:
If not trade
then pay
or trade in 1 year.

All's I know is that TFB now has that guy looking over his shoulder... 14M dead cap if you cut the GOAT in 18, 7M dead cap if you part with him in 19.

If TFB is what we think he'll be in 3 years because we're Brady homers, that's one thing. If we're wishing rather than hoping, that's another.

"Shows no signs of" being 40 is one thing. "Showing no signs of being 43" might be something else. If BB did turn down a 1 and a 2, well, two things.... 1, this draft ain't so hot, and 2, he's got "Brady's done" insurance.

Don't get me wrong.... "this is not that day." But things might look different in a year. Barring somebody giving us their entire 2018 draft, you have to figure the QB position is, down the road, a concern.

Of course that concern has an expiration date a year from now, JG's free agency next season. That's when it's "choosin' time," unless we're thinking we give JG say 10M a year to hold the clipboard.

If not trade
then pay
or trade in 1 year.

All's I know is that TFB now has that guy looking over his shoulder... 14M dead cap if you cut the GOAT in 18, 7M dead cap if you part with him in 19.

If TFB is what we think he'll be in 3 years because we're Brady homers, that's one thing. If we're wishing rather than hoping, that's another.

"Shows no signs of" being 40 is one thing. "Showing no signs of being 43" might be something else. If BB did turn down a 1 and a 2, well, two things.... 1, this draft ain't so hot, and 2, he's got "Brady's done" insurance.

Don't get me wrong.... "this is not that day." But things might look different in a year. Barring somebody giving us their entire 2018 draft, you have to figure the QB position is, down the road, a concern.

Of course that concern has an expiration date a year from now, JG's free agency next season. That's when it's "choosin' time," unless we're thinking we give JG say 10M a year to hold the clipboard.
I think it's safe to say that Brady will be here at least two more years, barring complete catastrophe. After that, if he's showing signs of decline (possible at the age of 42), they can deal with the 7m dollar dead cap hit. Didn't they just have to do that with Revis for about 5m? That's not even bringing up the possibility of splitting it over two years as a post-June 1st designation, like the Cowboys are doing with Romo. Either way, the 7m dollar dead cap hit in 2019 isn't going to prevent them from any major decisions. The same can't necessarily be said for 2018, which leaves one year for trying to pay both, if that's in the cards, of course. The truth is that no one really knows, and we should all take a deep breath and relax about it.

If Belichick decides that he'd like to try and keep Garoppolo beyond next spring, he can figure out the best course of action to take. That's why he makes millions of dollars. His decisions have gotten the organization and fan base this far, so I feel pretty confident that we're in good hands. They're in a good place cap-wise, both now and next year, as well. It's a unique situation, and JG isn't likely to agree to a deal where he is the backup past 2018, or so we think. Money talks, it's certainly an environment/system conducive to his success, and the team still has the ultimate say, should they choose to pay the extra money. It probably isn't likely, but it's still an option that they may be considering behind closed doors. Kraft has always had a franchise QB since taking over the team in '94, so he wants that to continue, and may even be willing to bite the bullet for a year or two in order to make it work. There's also the idea that Brady could walk away after a 6th SB victory, so perhaps they are covering their asses for the off chance that happens in the next year or two.

Any way you look at it, Belichick shouldn't really be criticized for passing on a high pick or two, if that is indeed, true. There's no rush to make a big decision right now and it's quite possible that they felt that they can still get something of value next spring, if that's what they choose. The constant chatter, name calling, people getting worked up about the situation etc seems a bit silly to me. As a fan, I'm good with whatever choice is made, and appreciate the flexibility that they've given themselves. Like I've been saying, there are plenty of options for both sides moving forward.

Any way you look at it, Belichick shouldn't really be criticized for passing on a high pick or two, if that is indeed, true. There's no rush to make a big decision right now and it's quite possible that they felt that they can still get something of value next spring, if that's what they choose. The constant chatter, name calling, people getting worked up about the situation etc seems a bit silly to me. As a fan, I'm good with whatever choice is made, and appreciate the flexibility that they've given themselves. Like I've been saying, there are plenty of options for both sides moving forward.

This sums it up quite well.

Also if JB makes a jump and shows he can handle backup duties don't count out a trade to the Browns (or any team that suffers a major QB injury) in August. Do I think it is likely ? Nope. But once teams become extremely desperate they often offer a ****ton. Going into the season with Kessler as their QB might be ok on paper now but once they are in TC for 2 weeks and see the reality of that decision who knows.

Same is also true for Butler and Cyrus Jones/Jonathan Jones. If both of them make a jump and Rowe continues his upward trajectory he could be dealt to a team if the right opportunity presents itself.

I actually think NE could have gotten more than a 1 & 2 for JG. Heck, both Houston & KC gave up 2 #1's to get a QB. BB likely turned down AT LEAST 2 #1's AND more.

What does that tell you? You don't turn down that much for a guy who likely won't even play this year UNLESS you've decided he's your QB in the very near future.

Get the distinct feeling this isn't going to end well for Tom Brady.

Belichick obviously doesn't believe Brady will play for another 4 or 5 years. And he has his man waiting in the wings. As I posted a few weeks ago, what BB does with JG now is a HUGE hint about what's going to happen in the very near future.

Enjoy Brady this year. At most he has two seasons left in New England -- and more likely, just one. After all, franchising JG after this season and having him make more money than Brady? That won't happen. Either Brady or JG WON'T be on the team next year. And turning down a boatload of draft picks for a one year insurance plan? That's....illogical. Just imagine the players you could have gotten in picks for JG. Staggering.

Tonight, BB made his decision on who'll be the QB in 2018. And it's not TFB.

Last edited:
Yep. And lets add this on top:

Just so we can avoid the stupid discussion of how "nobody offered anything of value". BB clearly values the backup position and doesn't care about any of the usual suspect's opinion or draft picks without names attached to them.

Guess we are in to hear how stupid BB was not to take those picks, right ?

Just to be clear this is not directed at you @slash83 but the usual suspects that think they "understand" how BB operates.

I'm not so sure it's that BB values the back-up position that much as it is that he is simply trying to hedge his bets with Brady and play it close to the chest. It's funny that people here assume Brady will be able to play until 45 and Belichick clearly doesn't know for sure one way or another. Like I said before, I would have preferred the picks but I can see why the team hasn't let him go. It's going to lead to another very interesting offseason in 2018.

Short and long term are BOTH important. Short term, the Pats this year are a shockingly good team with a great but aging quarterback. They have an excellent shot at repeating as champs. In these circumstances, it would be foolish not to have a really solid backup qb who might well be your next starter down the line. That's what they'll do, I think, and it's the right decision.

Long term, there is some theoretical loss long term in choosing not to trade JG for draft picks, but there are so many uncertainties with the crap shoot that is the draft, the prospect of Brady's decline going forward, the difficulty teams have getting the next quarterback, etc. that it doesn't hurt to wait until next year (trophy quite possibly in hand!) to make decisions relative to qb succession in a situation where there may be greater clarity re the arc of Brady's career. And it is an arc - all careers are - painful as that fact is to contemplate.

Short and long term are BOTH important. Short term, the Pats this year are a shockingly good team with a great but aging quarterback. They have an excellent shot at repeating as champs. In these circumstances, it would be foolish not to have a really solid backup qb who might well be your next starter down the line. That's what they'll do, I think, and it's the right decision.

Long term, there is some theoretical loss long term in choosing not to trade JG for draft picks, but there are so many uncertainties with the crap shoot that is the draft, the prospect of Brady's decline going forward, the difficulty teams have getting the next quarterback, etc. that it doesn't hurt to wait until next year (trophy quite possibly in hand!) to make decisions relative to qb succession in a situation where there may be greater clarity re the arc of Brady's career. And it is an arc - all careers are - painful as that fact is to contemplate.
Yeah, Brady showed ALL the signs of an aging QB last year, didn't he? And JG showed ALL the signs of a QB capable of playing 16 games, didn't he?

There is another thread on this MB about how BB avoided the draft and wound up with Cook, Ealey, Allen and Gillislee.. on paper a very good haul for 4 draft pix..

Not sure why anyone would believe that JG could sign for 10 million a year, or any number close to that.. if he is as good as most believe then his number should be at least 60% higher.. otoh BB may franchise him, but he will be traded before the $24 million kicks in.. makes no sense in the BB economic system not to.

I should think that this is more a commentary on Brisset than anyone else. If they imagined him as a possible starter for the Patriots, they would have traded him.

The funny thing is 99% of this forum thought that there was a player in this draft worth trading Jimmy G for. Some even thought Bill would trade him for a 2nd rounder!!! 99% of this forum is clueless. I knew a few years ago when it was the forum consensus Julian Edelman would be cut.

I'm not so sure it's that BB values the back-up position that much as it is that he is simply trying to hedge his bets with Brady and play it close to the chest. It's funny that people here assume Brady will be able to play until 45 and Belichick clearly doesn't know for sure one way or another. Like I said before, I would have preferred the picks but I can see why the team hasn't let him go. It's going to lead to another very interesting offseason in 2018.
Could be as simple as Brady indicating that he is playing until 45 or he gets #6....and if that were to be next February.....

The funny thing is 99% of this forum thought that there was a player in this draft worth trading Jimmy G for. Some even thought Bill would trade him for a 2nd rounder!!! 99% of this forum is clueless. I knew a few years ago when it was the forum consensus Julian Edelman would be cut.
"99%" is unfair, but I've always made it pretty clear that, for a wide range of reasons that have been discussed to death, I never understood the intensity with which many were arguing that BB would/should trade Garoppolo before or during the Draft.

I don't recall the Edelman discussion that you are referencing, but I think it's fair to say that he was a player who, until the last couple of years, was fully appreciated by few, one of whom, thankfully, was Bill Belichick. I also recall a lot of posters thinking that Big Albert was the Second Coming when Washington traded him here...sometimes people are just wrong, but that doesn't make 99% of the Board "clueless."

Could be as simple as Brady indicating that he is playing until 45 or he gets #6....and if that were to be next February.....
I could see that. 6 may be a feat that no other QB could accomplish. That lets him retire the GOAT at 41, with a fortune in the bank on his earnings alone, and able to spend time with his family.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes