PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Will Garoppolo still be a Patriot when the draft ends?

THE HUB FOR PATRIOTS FANS SINCE 2000

MORE PINNED POSTS:
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

Will Garoppolo still be a Patriot when the draft ends?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
I should think that this is more a commentary on Brisset than anyone else. If they imagined him as a possible starter for the Patriots, they would have traded him.
I think that is part of it.

The other part of it is maybe, just maybe BB genuinely thinks Jimmy is an absolute bona fide stud. Because he holds him in high regard, that means two more things.

1. If Brady goes down, if he keeps Jimmy this team is still on a march to the SB.
2. In his estimation, the offers he fielded did not equal Jimmy's value as a player or entice him enough to go into 2017 with risk at the backup QB position.

I could see that. 6 may be a feat that no other QB could accomplish. That lets him retire the GOAT at 41, with a fortune in the bank on his earnings alone, and able to spend time with his family.
I don't see TB as using the ring count to motivate himself. I think it's more about his own internal need to compete, regardless of the outcome. His future is already assured fiscally and in terms of reputation. Right now it's all about his need to compete instead of chilling with the wife and kids.

I don't see TB as using the ring count to motivate himself. I think it's more about his own internal need to compete, regardless of the outcome. His future is already assured fiscally and in terms of reputation. Right now it's all about his need to compete instead of chilling with the wife and kids.
Brady is absolutely motivated by rings. That's where his ultra competitive nature naturally leads. That's the be-all, end-all.

I know I know.
Just sometimes when I read some of the posts it sounds like Brady is worthless and BB would have won the 5 SBs with anyone.
And just to clarify, I think Jimmy will be pretty good. But he will be much closer to Bledsoe than Brady (which isn't that bad) as far as success.

I know you meant results and that's not a bad assessment.

I think the JG-Rodgers/Young comparisons are kind of hilarious. There is no evidence whatsoever that JG does or will ever belong even in the same sentence as either of those guys or any HOF worthy QB for that matter.

Unless Jimmy is starting for the Patriots next year or the year after (franchised), then not trading him was a terrible mistake.

Other than JG having absolutely no resemblance to Bledsoe in either physical makeup or playing style, what makes you say so?
Level of success with the team.
Bledsoe took the Pats to a SB, was widely considered a franchise QB, and was a great starter. Yet Bledsoe will never be considered one of the greatest to ever play.
I think that is a fair ceiling for Jimmy G.
I am sorry I don't buy into putting Jimmy in the HOF yet.
The entire point of comparing to Bledsoe was to anchor expectations. I really believe from reading some posts that their is a belief that the Pats will experience NO dropoff when Brady is gone. I don't think that is the case. Just my opinion.

I could see that. 6 may be a feat that no other QB could accomplish. That lets him retire the GOAT at 41, with a fortune in the bank on his earnings alone, and able to spend time with his family.

I don't see it. Reading about Brady and also listening to people around him talking, he clearly loves the game and not piling up stats. He will play as long as he physically is able to perform at the level he expects from himself.

Unless Jimmy is starting for the Patriots next year or the year after (franchised), then not trading him was a terrible mistake.

Because ?

Yeah, Brady showed ALL the signs of an aging QB last year, didn't he? And JG showed ALL the signs of a QB capable of playing 16 games, didn't he?

Oh, grow up. Brady's decline is inevitable, and JG has certainly demonstrated that he is a sound backup and shows signs that he could be more.

Because ?

They could have drafted an impact pass rusher, defensive back or LB. Instead, they kept a guy who will sit on the bench all year.

They could have drafted an impact pass rusher, defensive back or LB. Instead, they kept a guy who will sit on the bench all year.

So you have no trust into the projections of this coaching staff and front office ?

Because it surely looks like they didn't think there is much of a talent gap between the first 3 rounds.

• Agree
Reactions: sb1
I still do not believe that any team offered anything worthwhile to the Patriots for JG. Or to be more accurate, one year of JG. And why would they?

So you have no trust into the projections of this coaching staff and front office ?

Because it surely looks like they didn't think there is much of a talent gap between the first 3 rounds.

Is that what they think? I don't know what they think. I know that Cooks is an amazing pick up and I know they only traded down a coupe of spots to get Koney (sp)

I don't see it. Reading about Brady and also listening to people around him talking, he clearly loves the game and not piling up stats. He will play as long as he physically is able to perform at the level he expects from himself.

Who said anything about stats? It's about the rings and being acclaimed as the absolute GOAT while retiring young, pain and injury free, and with a record that probably no other QB would ever be able to match. Plus the guy clearly likes spending time with his family. It's a decent theory.

Who said anything about stats? It's about the rings and being acclaimed as the absolute GOAT while retiring young, pain and injury free, and with a record that probably no other QB would ever be able to match. Plus the guy clearly likes spending time with his family. It's a decent theory.

I think no other QB will get 5 in our lifetime.

... only if you assume that the there really was a first round pick to be had.

In other words only if you assume that the media is trustworthy and accurate and never ever exaggerates in the presence of known facts for the sake of a story.

... only if you assume that the there really was a first round pick to be had.

In other words only if you assume that the media is trustworthy and accurate and never ever exaggerates in the presence of known facts for the sake of a story.

I'll agree with that, I am not talent evaluater. But, I have to believe that there were players in the first round that could start and be impact players.

I think that is part of it.

The other part of it is maybe, just maybe BB genuinely thinks Jimmy is an absolute bona fide stud. Because he holds him in high regard, that means two more things.

1. If Brady goes down, if he keeps Jimmy this team is still on a march to the SB.
2. In his estimation, the offers he fielded did not equal Jimmy's value as a player or entice him enough to go into 2017 with risk at the backup QB position.

I truly understand this, but if the offers aren't fair, you also have to weigh what you might receive for him in the future. If you believed that Brisset was capable of being a top 12-14 starter in this league, you take less (and by that I mean, 2 #1s) to trade JG this year rather than receive a second rounder in the future.

Just imagine, JG will sign for $24m if he's franchised, but if he's then traded, there is no reason for him to redo that contract. I'd take the $24m if I were him, because even if I have a Tyrod Taylor like middling year, I can still sign for $15m afterward.

This is going to severely reduce his trade value next year. Assuming the Patriots are even willing to franchise him, a team is going to need $24m in cap space to make that trade.

Status
Not open for further replies.

What Did Tom Brady Say During His Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Drew Bledsoe Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast? Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Belichick Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Back