PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Will Bill Belichick break Don Shula's all time win record?

THE HUB FOR PATRIOTS FANS SINCE 2000

MORE PINNED POSTS:
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

Will Belichick break Shula's coaching record for all time most wins?

• Yes

Votes: 22 30.1%
  • No

Votes: 37 50.7%
  • RLKAG

Votes: 14 19.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Why is that obvious?
Because they didn't play him, he lost the starting job to Cam Newton, and threw a bunch of interceptions when they put him out there. I don't know how much more obvious it can get than that.

Because they didn't play him, he lost the starting job to Cam Newton, and threw a bunch of interceptions when they put him out there. I don't know how much more obvious it can get than that.
So basically whatever Bill does is correct because Bill did it. Got it.

So basically whatever Bill does is correct because Bill did it. Got it.
It's more correct than anything you would do in the moment when it comes to running a football team, yes.

It's more correct than anything you would do in the moment when it comes to running a football team, yes.
Well I would sure hope so. If that is where you set the bar then you have a pretty low opinion of Bill.

Well I would sure hope so. If that is where you set the bar then you have a pretty low opinion of Bill.
I'm saying that when people complain about not seeing Stidham, they are operating on 5% of the information. Maybe the dude was a complete dumpster fire in practice, so they saw no reason to put him out there.

Just like the Oline sucks...well Mac wa smaking life very difficult for the Oline also. When he started staying in the pocket and not dropping back too deep or stepping up to far and staying in his protection, he got hit way less. The Oline still isn't amazing, but he was making them look like a dumpster fire.

Or the play calling, there's a rookie behind center, he admitted to making changes to the play call that maybe weren't the best. There are a lot of moving parts and people are making huge judgements on less than 20% of the information. It's stupid.

I'm saying that when people complain about not seeing Stidham, they are operating on 5% of the information. Maybe the dude was a complete dumpster fire in practice, so they saw no reason to put him out there.

Just like the Oline sucks...well Mac wa smaking life very difficult for the Oline also. When he started staying in the pocket and not dropping back too deep or stepping up to far and staying in his protection, he got hit way less. The Oline still isn't amazing, but he was making them look like a dumpster fire.

Or the play calling, there's a rookie behind center, he admitted to making changes to the play call that maybe weren't the best. There are a lot of moving parts and people are making huge judgements on less than 20% of the information. It's stupid.
For me it boiled down to "what does it hurt to give Stidham a chance to start a game or two?" at the end of last season. Give him a full week to prepare as the starter and see what he does. He tanks? Oh well. At least we got to see him play and confirm he either isn't a starter or even worthy of a roster spot as a backup. It just seemed like Bill was more concerned with chasing meaningless wins than getting a look at young guys on the roster in real game action.

Last edited:
For me it boiled down to "what does it hurt to give Stidham a chance to start a game or two?" at the end of last season. Give him a full week to prepare as the starter and see what he does. He tanks? Oh well. At least we got to see him play and confirm he either isn't a starter or even worthy of a roster spot as a backup. It just seemed like Bill was more concerned with chasing meaningless wins than getting a look at young guys on the roster in real game action.
Wins aren’t meaningless to the players.
Why do “we” need to confirm anything?

Wins aren’t meaningless to the players.
Why do “we” need to confirm anything?
Judge Judy Reaction GIF

Its also easier when you have a goat QB, as we see now. Also, no a QB who has been on one team for 19 years and goes to a 7-9 team who has not won a playoff game in 18 years and wins the superbowl is a bigger feat. That would be like Bill going to the Jets last year and they win the superbowl.

Ot would be like Belichick going to the Cowboys.

Welll, I like most of this post but the QB making life hard for the Oline... I get what you're saying, but who's protecting whom?

Welll, I like most of this post but the QB making life hard for the Oline... I get what you're saying, but who's protecting whom?
True, but if you don't stay inside your protection, then you cause yourself to get hit or your oline to hold. Think about it, if you step up so far you're parallel with your line, the defense can just collapse to the side and get a sack. That was happening

True, but if you don't stay inside your protection, then you cause yourself to get hit or your oline to hold. Think about it, if you step up so far you're parallel with your line, the defense can just collapse to the side and get a sack. That was happening
I guess it's down to knowing the "nudge rate" your line can tolerate when you're stepping up/moving the pocket.

Here are his throws against Dallas. I think I see what you're describing in maybe the 2nd to last throw?

He looks to me like he occasionally moves a yard mainly laterally... I don't see him stepping up forward into the line. But like I said I might be blind and I might be a homer, just tell me the time stamps where he's doing this. (PS, you have to watch it on youtube but I believe it will link from here)

And PS, watching that film, he's just a freaking assassin. Yes he threw a pick 6 (Bourne claimed his bad)... but I like this guy's future and hence, ours.
And PPS, it's a 3 minuite film. All the throws. Damn. Nice work if you can get it.

Here are his throws against Dallas. I think I see what you're describing in maybe the 2nd to last throw?

He looks to me like he occasionally moves a yard mainly laterally... I don't see him stepping up forward into the line. But like I said I might be blind and I might be a homer, just tell me the time stamps where he's doing this. (PS, you have to watch it on youtube but I believe it will link from here)

He's been much better for the last 3 games, watch the first 3 games, it was glaring. He was causing his line to collapse. I didn't see it in the Cowboys game

He's been much better for the last 3 games, watch the first 3 games, it was glaring. He was causing his line to collapse. I didn't see it in the Cowboys game
Cool, okay, that's over. LOL

Its also easier when you have a goat QB, as we see now. Also, no a QB who has been on one team for 19 years and goes to a 7-9 team who has not won a playoff game in 18 years and wins the superbowl is a bigger feat. That would be like Bill going to the Jets last year and they win the superbowl.

Brady was smart enough to go to a team that was loaded with talent but had poor QB play keeping them down. You can try to portray Tampa Bay as some sad sack organization but anyone smart enough to look at their roster knew how much talent they had. Brady took that and ran with it, kudos to him, but that in no way changes the fact that rebuilding a franchise after the end of a twenty year dynasty is infinitely bigger that playing QB.

Brady was smart enough to go to a team that was loaded with talent but had poor QB play keeping them down. You can try to portray Tampa Bay as some sad sack organization but anyone smart enough to look at their roster knew how much talent they had. Brady took that and ran with it, kudos to him, but that in no way changes the fact that rebuilding a franchise after the end of a twenty year dynasty is infinitely bigger that playing QB.
As Pats fans we know how difficult it is to win a SB, never mind about having to go to a new City, system, coaches, players, etc and still pull it off the 1st year. That was extremely impressive.

I do agree that Bill is facing his most significant challenge trying to "rebuild" HIS franchise now that he doesn't have the GOAT to hide a bunch of shortcomings on the team. However, Bill controls every single aspect of the team so he should be able to do it with a 1st round QB. He needs to do HIS job. No excuses.

As Pats fans we know how difficult it is to win a SB, never mind about having to go to a new City, system, coaches, players, etc and still pull it off the 1st year. That was extremely impressive.

I do agree that Bill is facing his most significant challenge trying to "rebuild" HIS franchise now that he doesn't have the GOAT to hide a bunch of shortcomings on the team. However, Bill controls every single aspect of the team so he should be able to do it with a 1st round QB. He needs to do HIS job. No excuses.
When has anyone ever been able to do it with their first round rookie QB? It would be the first time in NFL history,

Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Back