PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Wilfork, Seymour named semifinalists for HOF

(What the hell is Ken Stabler doing in the HOF)

Sayers' all purpose yards record was broken by Mack Herron here in '74, and Mack's was broken a year later by Terry Metcalf (in only 13 games). The subsequent record breakers had 16 to do it. Gale was a 5 time First Team All Pro, even with an injury shortened career.

So three (3) great seasons rushing puts you in the Hall. That's all Davis had.

Great points on Sayers. I don't have an issue with him being in. Perfect peak vs volume. Again I think Davis qualifies. If you don't that's fine. Happy to agree to disagree.

If they're going to let all the volume guys from this era in: Holt, Wayne, Bolden, Johnson, Smith and Jones then they better retroactively let in Ellard, Jackson and (you'll love this!) Morgan who all did 10K yards when it actually was an accomplishment.

Honestly I'd let none of them in. Larry Fitzgerald is the only one I'd let in. He has the volume, the peak and the playoffs. He was in the 100 anniversary team and 100% deserved it.

Except...

The single most blathered about, trumpeted, ballyhooed thing which has even been used to define this era is:

The salary cap.

The Broncos violated the salary cap in both 1997 and 1998. They gained an unfair competitive advantage. They broke rules. In short, they (unlike the Patriots) actually cheated. And Paul Tagliabue slapped them on the wrist and no one ever talks about it.

Gale Sayers, yeah
Emmitt Smith, yeah
Barry Sanders, yeah

Davis? No. LOTS of players had injury-shortened careers. And playoff success.

The list of more worthy players not in Canton is at least fifty. Maybe a hundred.

Without Plunkett (and Dreith) the Fraiders would never have won a Super Bowl
Ehhh you can't blame the player for the organization. That's a slippery slope. You do that and then you can keep Brees out for Bountygate and I don't even want to get into Spygate because that's going to be needless debate.

Davis was an MVP as running back, was a two time OPOY, 3x All Pro (which is more than Ty Law who got in and as many First teams as Seymour), hit 2008 yards in a season which was the third highest rushing season in history back then and is still the 6th highest over 20 years later, and has a SB MVP. Dude is about as accomplished as you can possibly be with a not so long career.

Davis was an MVP as running back, was a two time OPOY, 3x All Pro (which is more than Ty Law who got in and as many First teams as Seymour), hit 2008 yards in a season which was the third highest rushing season in history back then and is still the 6th highest over 20 years later, and has a SB MVP. Dude is about as accomplished as you can possibly be with a not so long career.
Three (3) seasons. Strictly as a running back.

I mean I love Mack Herron but he only had one great season

Fine but put Nomar Garciaparra in the Baseball Hall of Fame

After reading this I decided to see exactly how many of the Pats, the greatest dynasty of all time, are in the HOF. Their snub is a disgrace. Here's the list, which I don't think includes the latest inductees.

0 - Car, Hou, Jac
1 - Cincy
3 - Ravens
4 - Atl, NO, Sea
5 - TB, NE (we're tied with the biggest losers in NYFL history)
7 - NJ (let that sink in for a moment)
8 - Den
9 - Tenn
From this point on the teams have at least 2 or 3 times as many players in the HOF as the Pats.
10 - LC, Mia, Phi
13 - KC
14 - Ariz
15 - Minny
16 - Indy, SF
17 - Det, Cle
19 - LV (you have to be shytting me), LR
And now teams with at least 4 times as many players in the HOF as the Pats
20 - Dal, Was
21 - NYG
26 - GB, Pitt
30 - Chicago
Granted, some of the teams have been around longer than the Pats (not Dallas though) but they haven't been around for 4-6 times as many years.

Anyone who doesn't see that the Pats are being snubbed isn't looking.
LOL So we're one ahead of the Falcons, Saints and Seahawks on here

But there are 10 Patriots in the PFHOF. That's still insultingly small.

For starters:

Bucko Kilroy
Gino Cappelletti
Houston Antwine
Jon Morris
Jim Plunkett
Stanley Morgan
Russ Francis
Bruce Armstrong
Ben Coates
Rodney Harrison
Richard Seymour
Vince Wilfork
Logan Mankins
Wes Welker
Dante Scarnecchia
Ernie Adams

That's SIXTEEN who belong in Canton. That will give us 26 total.

This - and only this - would be minimally reasonable/acceptable.

Last edited:
Ehhh you can't blame the player for the organization.
Congratulations, you just wiped out fifty years of Patriots denigration, derision, denial, bias and abuse.

Just tell the NFL and the media on your way out.

When I was a kid I used to bicycle to the Pats training camp in Andover. Houston Antwine was freaking amazing. Jim Nance was in those camps, too. Two all time greats. They are both all-time AFL, and both belong in the NFL HoF.
Jim had just two great seasons in '66 & '67, then came back to be All-AFL in '69.

But with the Davis precedent, I guess that's all you need now, so go ahead and put Big Jim in there.

Holy crap. Jim is still the Patriots' all-time leader in rushing touchdowns with 45.

In 1974, Nance played with the Houston Texans/Shreveport Steamer of the World Football League, rushing for 1,240 yards. In 1975, he ran for 767 yards before the WFL folded. He is the all-time leading rusher in the WFL with 490 carries for 2,007 yards and a 4.1 average. He rushed for 15 touchdowns in his WFL career.

1638647501958.png1638647509655.png

EASILY the best of the 3 nominees.

That Logan ****ing Mankin$ was a finalist At All is an absolute ****ing disgrace.
It’s a disgrace because you feel his time and talent aren’t warranted or it’s the $.

Vince very much deserves this along with several other Patriots greats over the years. Congrats !

wilfork-thanksgiving.gif

Congratulations, Vince! You are certainly among the very best defensive linemen of all time. A veritable force. I am happy for you.

EASILY the best of the 3 nominees.

The sad fact that Logan ****ing Mankin$ was a finalist At All is an absolute ****ing disgrace.
Why? because he had contract disputes? part of the game nowadays.

dude was a beast when he played here.

It’s a disgrace because you feel his time and talent aren’t warranted or it’s the $.

The $ squabbles he had with the club in 2010, which he & his agent made public in an particularly nasty manner, unprecedented under Bob Kraft's ownership, absolutely are part of it; as are his under-whelming performances in some our biggest games, ALL of which ultimately ended in defeat....

Last edited:

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Back