PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Why Mac Jones playing this year is important

How the hell did we get Mac Jones at 15? I am no football guru, but I watched a ton of Bama football last year , and I saw what we are seeing now. A leader, calm and decisive in the pocket, nice pocket mobility, great accuracy. A prototypical NFL QB. Played great in big games. So much emphasis on his receivers when he did not have Waddle for 3/4 of the season. Jones was the reason that offense sang, not Smith or Harris. It was all there to be seen, and a ton of NFL guys talked themselves out of it. Crazy!

NFL teams have a love affair with "athleticism" and the "mobile QB" of which Mac Jones is neither. But, he has a good arm. Quick release and is a cerebral QB. Which is really what is important.

He's a prototypical old school pocket QB. I just think teams don't put as much stock in that.

Mac doesn't look like an NFL player - not even a kicker. Honestly its amazing he can run a 4.8 or whatever because his upper body looks like garbage. This totally hurts him. It's why they called him a statue or whatever. Guy moves decent when you consider his fitness level..

Even when he is working with is QB coach - who obviously does an excellent job - you can see Mac just looks flabby and goofy out there. His results are excellent but his fitness is not. So its not surprising he fell.. Had he really worked on his measurables and cut down his body fat and added more muscle he could have gone higher. Glad he did not really.. Since he fell to us.

Guys like Lance and Field look the part much more.. It was the same for Brady. Had he concentrated on his body more - he could have gone in one of the earlier rounds. Some of his college games were really really good..
He runs a 4.79, faster than Mahommes

Last edited:
One interesting tidbit from his Rivals win vs Trevor Lawrence is that he was notably accurate on the run. Didn't notice that from his Alabama tape but that could be huge if they have the option to roll him out and/or he actually *can* make "off platform" throws...

One interesting tidbit from his Rivals win vs Trevor Lawrence is that he was notably accurate on the run. Didn't notice that from his Alabama tape but that could be huge if they have the option to roll him out and/or he actually *can* make "off platform" throws...

I didn't want to go overboard but predraft I legit thought this kid could outplay Trevor as a pro.
Mac's main issue has been he was rail thin in high school going to Alabama, had to put on weight in college, and right now his body isn't fully NFL ready either. I'm not talking 40speed, who cares, I mean stamina to start potentially 21 games this year, take 45 sacks, and also maintain arm strength and overall durability.

I didn't want to go overboard but predraft I legit thought this kid could outplay Trevor as a pro.
Mac's main issue has been he was rail thin in high school going to Alabama, had to put on weight in college, and right now his body isn't fully NFL ready either. I'm not talking 40speed, who cares, I mean stamina to start potentially 21 games this year, take 45 sacks, and also maintain arm strength and overall durability.
I agree that his durability is a major concern -- even without the playoffs, he's scheduled to start more games this year than he started in his whole Alabama career.

Lamar Jackson has been better than Allen and everyone else from his class. Allen was awful up until last year. They basically take the same amount of sacks but Jackson is a much better moving the football with his legs. Look at the stats, Jackson has been more consistent.
View attachment 35378View attachment 35379View attachment 35380View attachment 35381

Bgc- I know youre a big Jackson fan. Youre right about whose been better over their brief 3yr careers- Jackson was handsdown better 1st 2 yrs. But Allen made a huge leap last year. He was better than Jackson last year and therefore is better right now. If I had to win a big game with either of those 2,Im taking Allen.
Jackson needs to evolve his game.

He runs a 4.79, faster than Mahommes
Not dogging on Mac - Poster wanted to know how in the world it was possible that Mac could fall to 15. I was explaining how it was quite easy. At many positions they pick guys because of their athleticism and physicality. ESPN has basically spent the last 6 months pushing this angle - how the position has "changed" and how they want guys to be more athletic and more mobile.

This is precisely what Mac Jones has lacked in the eyes of the media. He doesn't have the big arm, he isn't super built, he didn't look super mobile in college etc. One scout described Mac as super intelligent but nothing else.. So this is how a guy slips..

I was hoping all along the Pats would get him - and I remember hearing from legions of 49er fans who wanted nothing to do with some 'slow white" QB. They all wanted a 'modern" ESPN approved QB.

Personally I am big believer in Mac - I think he is more athletic then he looks and that your arm strength can in fact be developed.. But the best thing about Mac is that he wants to be great. So I have high hopes. I wish I had more then that - but I am no exactly a football guru. Just a fan..

Bgc- I know youre a big Jackson fan. Youre right about whose been better over their brief 3yr careers- Jackson was handsdown better 1st 2 yrs. But Allen made a huge leap last year. He was better than Jackson last year and therefore is better right now. If I had to win a big game with either of those 2,Im taking Allen.
Jackson needs to evolve his game.
I'm a fan of his for sure but I feel like I'm pretty objective as opposed to the board who have been completely over the top since he came out.

Not sure if you caught the opinions here pre-draft but posters here thought he'd be a complete bust and wouldn't make it as a QB. One of the long time draftniks here said he should switch positions or fill out an application for McDonald's lol.

Guy wins an MVP at like 22 yo, passes for almost 70 TD the last two years and clearly demonstrates he's an above average pocket passer and people are still puking up the same trash.

I could care less if people like him or not. It's just when we talk about him on the field, as a QB, let's come correct. There's plenty to go after him over and I'll gladly have that discussion.

There's a few problems though. Most here are incapable of moving off an opinion even if they've been proving wrong like they have been with Jackson. And with respect most just don't have a clue what to look for or give any real insight towards the position. It's bottom of the barrel type stuff.

It gets boring.

I'm a fan of his for sure but I feel like I'm pretty objective as opposed to the board who have been completely over the top since he came out.

Not sure if you caught the opinions here pre-draft but posters here thought he'd be a complete bust and wouldn't make it as a QB. One of the long time draftniks here said he should switch positions or fill out an application for McDonald's lol.

Guy wins an MVP at like 22 yo, passes for almost 70 TD the last two years and clearly demonstrates he's an above average pocket passer and people are still puking up the same trash.

I could care less if people like him or not. It's just when we talk about him on the field, as a QB, let's come correct. There's plenty to go after him over and I'll gladly have that discussion.

There's a few problems though. Most here are incapable of moving off an opinion even if they've been proving wrong like they have been with Jackson. And with respect most just don't have a clue what to look for or give any real insight towards the position. It's bottom of the barrel type stuff.

It gets boring.
Whats ironic about those on the board who are incapable of changing an opinion on a player is that BB does it all the time. Its one of the traits that makes him great. Case in point Patrick Chung, who BB admitted he was using incorrectly and not playing him to his strengths. When Chung came back here, BB put him in the position that played up his strengths and voila! he becomes a valuable contributor on several Super Bowl runs.
Jackson is a good qb. Of the primarily running qbs like Cam and Vick, hes the best Ive ever seen. Not just his running but his overall quarterbacking including passing in and out of the pocket. He has freakish talent. And hes only played what? 3 years? My issue with him is I dont think running as much as he does is sustainable over time. It also exposes him to injuries. And it detracts from him developing his passing game more. Brady has many great traits but one his best is that he was always looking to improve his game. Most great athletes are the same.
The nfl is too good for any qb to rest on their laurels and not strive to always get better. I also think theres a reason a running qb has never won a SB. What Id like to see is him run less and develop his pocket game even more. The kids been good but he could potentially be really good.

NFL teams have a love affair with "athleticism" and the "mobile QB" of which Mac Jones is neither. But, he has a good arm. Quick release and is a cerebral QB. Which is really what is important.
IMHO what happens is a QB comes along that pundits think are going to change the NFL. About 10 years ago, we had Russell Wilson, Colin Kaepernick and RG3 enter the League. The read-option was the wave of the future and was going to take over the NFL! But then only one of those guys had any real and prolonged success (although, if we are being honest, we will state that Kap had a couple very good years). Defenses caught up and adjusted. Plus the system that works for them is not easily replicatable.

Now, over the past 5 years, we see Mahomes, DeShaun and Lamar enter the League. Rinse, repeat.

IMHO what happens is a QB comes along that pundits think are going to change the NFL. About 10 years ago, we had Russell Wilson, Colin Kaepernick and RG3 enter the League. The read-option was the wave of the future and was going to take over the NFL! But then only one of those guys had any real and prolonged success (although, if we are being honest, we will state that Kap had a couple very good years). Defenses caught up and adjusted. Plus the system that works for them is not easily replicatable.

Now, over the past 5 years, we see Mahomes, DeShaun and Lamar enter the League. Rinse, repeat.
Whoa,bro, Wilson is NOTHING like Kap or lol RG3. Wilson is not a running qb. He worked on his game and hes a top 5 qb.
And Mahomes is nothing like Lamar.
Mahomes and Wilsons games most closely resemble Aaron Rodgers. When they break the pocket,theyre looking to pass,not run. Running is a last resort.

Whoa,bro, Wilson is NOTHING like Kap or lol RG3. Wilson is not a running qb. He worked on his game and hes a top 5 qb.
9-10 years ago, those 3 were the consummate read option quarterbacks and were (supposedly) going to revolutionize the game. Wilson survived and thrived because he has superior talent, not because of the system. The system has gone the way of the dodo.
Mahomes and Wilsons games most closely resemble Aaron Rodgers. When they break the pocket,theyre looking to pass,not run. Running is a last resort.
OK, so you just don't watch NFL football then...

Mac Jones’s testing numbers really don’t make him out to be a bad athlete. His measurables are most similar to Deshaun Watson’s:

Mac/Deshaun
Height 6'2" / 6'2"
Weight 217 / 221
40 YD 4.72 / 4.66
Vertical 32.0" / 32.5"
Broad Jump 9'8" / 9'11"
3 cone 7.04 / 6.95
shuttle 4.39 / 4.31

He just famously LOOKS doughy and a QB running the football, with all of Alabama's stud talent, never made any sense to either him or Saban.

Mac Jones’s testing numbers really don’t make him out to be a bad athlete. His measurables are most similar to Deshaun Watson’s:

Mac/Deshaun
Height 6'2" / 6'2"
Weight 217 / 221
40 YD 4.72 / 4.66
Vertical 32.0" / 32.5"
Broad Jump 9'8" / 9'11"
3 cone 7.04 / 6.95
shuttle 4.39 / 4.31

He just famously LOOKS doughy and a QB running the football, with all of Alabama's stud talent, never made any sense to either him or Saban.
Similar to Watson? Yikes. Better make sure they don't let him go out with Kraft when they play in MIA then.

Similar to Watson? Yikes. Better make sure they don't let him go out with Kraft when they play in MIA then.
I don't think that Orchids of Asia tendencies is a "measurable" ;)

9-10 years ago, those 3 were the consummate read option quarterbacks and were (supposedly) going to revolutionize the game. Wilson survived and thrived because he has superior talent, not because of the system. The system has gone the way of the dodo.

OK, so you just don't watch NFL football then...
Hilarious. Crack is not good for your brain.
Wilson thrived( not survived) because he evolved his game. He doesnt run much anymore. He plats much more in the pocket and when he breaks the pocket hes looking to pass first. Even coming out of college Wilson was never an RPO guy like Kap. Did you ever watch aby of his college games?
The one thing I agree w. you on is the primarily running/rpo qbs yave mostly failed as has the system. Jackson gets by cause of his talent.
Any competent nfl qb analyst would tell you Rodgers game is the closest comp to both Mahomes and Wilson.
I think its you man that doesn't watch much nfl

Hilarious. Crack is not good for your brain.
Wilson thrived( not survived) because he evolved his game. He doesnt run much anymore. He plats much more in the pocket and when he breaks the pocket hes looking to pass first. Even coming out of college Wilson was never an RPO guy like Kap. Did you ever watch aby of his college games?
The one thing I agree w. you on is the primarily running/rpo qbs yave mostly failed as has the system. Jackson gets by cause of his talent.
Any competent nfl qb analyst would tell you Rodgers game is the closest comp to both Mahomes and Wilson.
I think its you man that doesn't watch much nfl
Wow. You literally came at me with a slightly-reworded version of "I know you are but what am I?"

Russell Wilson had 513 rushing yards last year, 4th in the NFL among QB's
Aaron Rodgers had 149 rushing yards last year, 22nd in the NFL among QB's

Don't ever compare those 2 men as rushers again. One is clearly superior to the other in running ability and it isn't even remotely close.

I won't be going any further on this irrelevant tangent beyond saying you picked a very strange hill to die on, my ignorant friend.

Lamar Jackson has a passer rating of 68.3 with 900 yards, 3 touchdowns and 5 interceptions in 4 games in the playoffs in his career.​

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Back