PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

"Why Josh McDaniels should stay with Patriots to succeed Bill Belichick"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Doubt it, BB will make sure everything is set in place before he leaves, he's not just gonna up and go and Vince McMahon his way out the door, more than likely Brady's heir will be drafted next year, I would in the first round if its worth it for the 5th year option incase 4yrs from now Brady is still Brady and we have another JG situation
You keep saying this but there is no real facts to back it up.
I’m sure belichick will recommend a next coach but when he retires he is done and these characteristics you associate with the franchise go with him. Then someone else takes over and does it their way.

Although it would be tough to turn down the HC job of a storied team like the Giants - playing in the biggest media market no less - I actually DO think McDaniels and Patricia should remain here (especially if there's any question about working with a GM they aren't in sync with)

The thing about both of them - as long as BB and Brady are here, and they are Coordinators, they BOTH will continue to have advancement opportunities. Moving to the wrong team at the wrong time and they can find themselves out of a job in even a year - and in Josh's case, two strikes and he may be out forever.

So do what Scarnecchia did - settle in for the better quality of life as a devoted Coordinator until such time that BB opts to give up HC, become President and you get your chance to be HC here in an already well established system - effectively YOUR system that you've adopted as a BB prodigy.

I'd say McDaniels has the better shot over Patricia (IMO Patricia accepted a life appointment as a Patriots coordinator when he wore the Goodell Bozo shirt - and I don't think he even WANTS a HC job - though again, it's his for the taking elsewhere anytime if he does.)

That's best for them - they need be in no rush and the ultimately the best career move could well be to just remain here until their chance comes, as it sadly will one day
How can they get a HC job whenever they want one if no one has offered one yet?

Succeeding Bill Belichick isn't something i would want to do, you never want to be the next guy in after a legend because it's impossible shoes to fill.

You want to be the guy after the guy who followed the legend.

How can they get a HC job whenever they want one if no one has offered one yet?

Both have been mentioned/considered/interviewed for HC positions in the past already (and with the Giants and other teams currently)

I think it's recognized that they won't leave unless the situation is right - and with a team like the Browns and others, it's FAR from right

Unless the Patriots suddenly go 1-15 next season I find it tough to believe their stock will sink as coordinators for perennial SB contenders.

Let's face it and not drink the kool-aid, no offense obviously but we will eventually have a losing season and I bet it happens within the decade. Here is my assumption:

2018: 12+ wins and SB contenders
2019: 12+ wins and SB contenders
2020: 11+ wins and SB contenders (team regresses just a bit)
2021: 10+ wins and SB contenders (regressesion continues, but still a good team)
2022: 12+ wins with or without Brady and SB contenders (team catches fire and old magic)
2023: 8-8 and misses playoffs but preserves streak for non losing seasons
2024: 11+ wins and SB contenders (Bill's last season coaching team)
2025: 9-7 and new HC takes over. Potential limp into playoffs
2026: 6 or less wins
2027: 6 or less wins

From there, who knows

When I look at the 32 teams, I see at a minimum of 8 openings and bunch of hot seats

AFC
Jests: Hot seat
Dolts: Gone
Texans: I'm hearing BOB is going to issue McNair an ultimatum. Me or Smith.
Bungles: GONE
Brownstains: GONE
Raiduhs: GONE
Queefs: I'm hearing from my buddy in Overland Park Chumley is on the hot seat. They need to make the playoffs to save his job
Donkeys: Hot seat

NFC
Redskins: hot seat
Gints: GONE
Bucs: GONE
Lions: GONE
Bears: GONE
Cards: Hot seat
And Lombardi offered the elephant in the room question. Are there enough qualified guys to fill those position. After not only being fired, will the now humiliated Jeff Fisher get to fulfill his dream of being the losingest HC in NFL history. OR will some unknown OC/DC get a job because the owner thinks he has the next Sean McVay

The problem is that given the current market, Josh is clearly the best candidate. And when you have a big demand and a small supply...... Well you know the rest.

I still think BB hangs on until Shulas record seems out of reach relative to BBs age.

He will likely finish the season needing 78-79 more wins to tie Shula (not 100% on the math there because I don't know if the site I used has up to date win totals for BB)

If Brady hangs on for 3-4 more years and we maintain a team that can rack up double digits wins that puts BB in his low to mid 70s with a chance to own every meaningful record for a HC. That has to seem more and more tantalizing of a carrot every year. Which is why I think stuff like this is premature.

Or BB could retire tomorrow, who knows with him.

You keep saying this but there is no real facts to back it up.
I’m sure belichick will recommend a next coach but when he retires he is done and these characteristics you associate with the franchise go with him. Then someone else takes over and does it their way.

No real facts? Its in his nature and what he's been doing since he got here so what I'm saying is he won't leave unless the team is in good shape in all phases (Offense, Defense, STs, Salary Cap) he's not gonna leave a mess behind, our front office is isn't Cleveland, we're not gonna turn into the Browns/laughing stock of the league once BB & Brady aren't here

Not like it matters right now, I don't expect BB to retire until the mid 2020s like 24-25,

Both have been mentioned/considered/interviewed for HC positions in the past already (and with the Giants and other teams currently)

I think it's recognized that they won't leave unless the situation is right - and with a team like the Browns and others, it's FAR from right

Unless the Patriots suddenly go 1-15 next season I find it tough to believe their stock will sink as coordinators for perennial SB contenders.
Being mentioned it considered but not offered job dues not mean you could have one whenever you want one which was the comment I disputed.

I guess now that JG is gone the heir conversation has to go back to BB and coaching. What waste of time..

No real facts? Its in his nature and what he's been doing since he got here so what I'm saying is he won't leave unless the team is in good shape in all phases (Offense, Defense, STs, Salary Cap) he's not gonna leave a mess behind, our front office is isn't Cleveland, we're not gonna turn into the Browns/laughing stock of the league once BB & Brady aren't here

Not like it matters right now, I don't expect BB to retire until the mid 2020s like 24-25,
How has he been leaving it behind in good shape since he got here?
Of course he won’t mortgage the future but the day he leaves someone else runs the show, their way.
What you said with no facts is that he will stay after he retires to be in charge of his replacement. The fact is he wouldn’t stay in ny under that arrangement with Parcells and knows it would be unfair.

Here is a question for the fellas who have been around for awhile: do you guys feel like the overall coaching in the NFL has been worse than in previous generation?

I know that lack of practices have taken its tool, but i wanted to see what everyone thinks... If Fisher gets another gig as HC, i'll start applying for a coaching position, i swear

Let's face it and not drink the kool-aid, no offense obviously but we will eventually have a losing season and I bet it happens within the decade. Here is my assumption:

2018: 12+ wins and SB contenders
2019: 12+ wins and SB contenders
2020: 11+ wins and SB contenders (team regresses just a bit)
2021: 10+ wins and SB contenders (regressesion continues, but still a good team)
2022: 12+ wins with or without Brady and SB contenders (team catches fire and old magic)
2023: 8-8 and misses playoffs but preserves streak for non losing seasons
2024: 11+ wins and SB contenders (Bill's last season coaching team)
2025: 9-7 and new HC takes over. Potential limp into playoffs
2026: 6 or less wins
2027: 6 or less wins

From there, who knows
You are predicting the record of teams that you know who zero of the players on.
You are predicting the 2027 teams record and more than half of the players that will be on that team have yet to play a snap of high school football.
What will the bears be in 2027?

Here is a question for the fellas who have been around for awhile: do you guys feel like the overall coaching in the NFL has been worse than in previous generation?

I know that lack of practices have taken its tool, but i wanted to see what everyone thinks... If Fisher gets another gig as HC, i'll start applying for a coaching position, i swear
This doesn’t really answer your question butis tangent to it.
I’ve been noticing that the wco Walsh/holmgren/etc tree of offensive coaches are now pathetic.
Andy Reid after teaching Alex Smith how to check down with the best of them, tried to open up the offense it works for a month, falls apart and now he is giving up play calling duties.
For years the WCO produced most if the offensive coaches in the league and they all seem to be failing.
I think the problem is the system has flaws and teaches offense in a way that causes QBs to hit the open man 2 yards downfield on 3rd and 8.

• Agree
Reactions: PP2
At least denver won’t be touching any of our coordinators...:D

2 words, Tom Brady.

Belichick may leave the blueprint of how he thinks football, his philosophies, even publish an ancient book of football written by Belichicus The First in 1492, that is passed by from generation to generation in the Belichick family and kept as a secret.

That is all important but you need a QB to make the plays and succeed, and we have the best ever. Those shoes will be impossible to replace.

I don't expect mediocrity, I expect a stable franchise that will be in the winning side more often than not and part of that is because the other franchises in this division are completely lost without a sense of direction, lousy ownership and it will take years for them to feel they are doing the right thing, and more years to right the ship if they even have the patience to allow a program to last 4-5 years without moving on.

But the unprecedented success of the NE it's all about TB12.

Oh god, no. He is a terrible OC and was a train wreck as an HC.

You are predicting the record of teams that you know who zero of the players on.
You are predicting the 2027 teams record and more than half of the players that will be on that team have yet to play a snap of high school football.
What will the bears be in 2027?
That aside, I just "think" we will have a losing season within the decade. I could be wrong as its only an assumption based on not much, but I do know its inevitable. I for one hope it lasts forever though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/9: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/8: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 5/7: News and Notes
What Did Tom Brady Say During His Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Drew Bledsoe Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast? Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Belichick Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
Back