PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

"Why Josh McDaniels should stay with Patriots to succeed Bill Belichick"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bradyking12

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
Why Josh McDaniels Should Stay With Patriots To Succeed Bill Belichick

Wouldn't be a bad idea, Josh at the helm, Caserio running things In the background, more than likely Belichick stays in touch making sure every thing is smooth, some people think this dynasty will end when BB and TB retire I highly doubt it, I see this machine going for the long haul, by then it would be over 20yrs of dynastic run won't just go down the toilet not this franchise

Especially with how on top of everything this team is they will make sure the succession plan is in line and will be good to go just in time, its wired in this franchise dna to always have a set plan in place, everybody isn't just gonna retire one day and say welp that was fun and walk away and dynasty over and turn into the Browns, like I said this dynasty is in it for the long haul and won't come to an end anytime soon

Personally I want a defensive minded HC although I have no idea if MP or JM would make a better leader.

Could be Josh could be Matt could be a young Belichick could be a abomination of a coach.
Who ever comes after BB is done coaching this team better be a hell of a coach or us fans will never hear the end of it he will be constantly watched and questioned.
Best to be someone BB hand picks.

Why Josh McDaniels Should Stay With Patriots To Succeed Bill Belichick

Wouldn't be a bad idea, Josh at the helm, Caserio running things In the background, more than likely Belichick stays in touch making sure every thing is smooth, some people think this dynasty will end when BB and TB retire I highly doubt it, I see this machine going for the long haul, by then it would be over 20yrs of dynastic run won't just go down the toilet not this franchise

Especially with how on top of everything this team is they will make sure the succession plan is in line and will be good to go just in time, its wired in this franchise dna to always have a set plan in place, everybody isn't just gonna retire one day and say welp that was fun and walk away and dynasty over and turn into the Browns, like I said this dynasty is in it for the long haul and won't come to an end anytime soon
I don't think anyone will *succeed* Belichick. Personality and demeanor have a lot to do with a good Coach's success. There is only one of these guys at a time. I think when BB and Brady retire the Team will be mediocre. They are once a lifetime pair so enjoy the ride.

I don't think anyone will *succeed* Belichick. Personality and demeanor have a lot to do with a good Coach's success. There is only one of these guys at a time. I think when BB and Brady retire the Team will be mediocre. They are once a lifetime pair so enjoy the ride.

For the fans that have lived through the turbulents of the 70s, 80s and 90s.......this will suck.

We will now be like every other fan base in the NFL.

Does anyone remember who succeeded Vince Lombardi in Green Bay?

For the fans that have lived through the turbulents of the 70s, 80s and 90s.......this will suck.

Doubt it, BB will make sure everything is set in place before he leaves, he's not just gonna up and go and Vince McMahon his way out the door, more than likely Brady's heir will be drafted next year, I would in the first round if its worth it for the 5th year option incase 4yrs from now Brady is still Brady and we have another JG situation

Does anyone remember who succeeded Vince Lombardi in Green Bay?

This isn't Green Bay, I don't expect that big of a drop off if any post BB & Brady, everything will be taken care off when its time, to keep the ball rolling

Yup, it will be hard to go back to the basement studio after we've lived in the penthouse for so many years.

This isn't Green Bay, I don't expect that big of a drop off if any post BB & Brady, everything will be taken care off when its time, to keep the ball rolling
Entropy and chaos will end the Dynasty eventually, it's the way of things.

I don't think we'll ever really fall all the way back to the basement again, but you never know. In the near term after BB and Brady leave, I think they'll leave an organization in good enough shape that they can still compete for the playoffs on a regular basis, but the era of dominance may be gone.

What might happen over time, is Belichick simply moves up to an executive level position. If he no longer has the ability to coach the team on the field, that mind is still an incredibly useful asset all by himself. Bill Belichick as a front office person alone is worth his salary and then some.

I would not be surprised, at all, if McD goes and finds a job elsewhere, Matt Patricia takes over the HCing duties in a gradual transition, and BB eventually winds up upstairs working with the suits as either the team's XVP or in the general manager's office, working with Ernie in the film room, serving as a sounding board for MP and still making his contribution to the overall identity of the team. Kind of like Parcells wanted to do with Belichick himself.

Doubt it, BB will make sure everything is set in place before he leaves, he's not just gonna up and go and Vince McMahon his way out the door, more than likely Brady's heir will be drafted next year, I would in the first round if its worth it for the 5th year option incase 4yrs from now Brady is still Brady and we have another JG situation

It doesn't matter how good BB sets it up. There is someone else will be running it and throwing the football.

Yup, it will be hard to go back to the basement studio after we've lived in the penthouse for so many years.

Right. I'm not saying they'll suck but there is such a high level of excellence established it'll be almost impossible to match it.

Instead of this gravy train of a guaranteed 12 win season and a trip to the AFCCG, we'll be living paycheck to the paycheck no knowing if we'll be 12-4 or 8-8.

Last edited:
It doesn't matter how good BB sets it up. There is someone else will be running it and throwing the football.

Whoever is throwing the football should be well developed by then as I'm sure we'll draft the heir potentially next year, and if its worth it in the 1st round so we can have the 5th year option incase Mr Cyborg :D is still in peak form 4yrs from now and have another JG situation

Whoever is throwing the football should be well developed by then as I'm sure we'll draft the heir potentially next year, and if its worth it in the 1st round so we can have the 5th year option incase Mr Cyborg :D is still in peak form 4yrs from now and have another JG situation
I love your outlook but until I see it, I'll believe it.

There are going to be a LOT of openings next year and quite frankly not enough quality options for teams to fill them. There could be 7 or more. Giants, Bears, Bucs, Indy, Cleveland, and Denver as likely openings, PLUS, possible retirements in Cinci, and Arizona, and no one would be shocked to see changes with the Jets and Detroit. And you always have the surprise that no one expected like in Washington. That is a LOT of possible openings and Josh McDaniels is going to be at the top of ALL those lists.

NYG is the obvious choice, but Lombardi offered this caveat. The Giants have historically been a GM driven team and will have one likely hired BEFORE they hire a HC. Josh is going to want to know that he can work with a guy before he commits to moving his family again. So that isn't necessarily a done deal.

INDY would be another obvious choice. They have the QB, actually 2 that Josh would be comfortable. According to Lombardi, they have a GM Josh could work with, and don't forget Josh was raised in the Midwest. The major caveat would be they have about the worst OWNER in the league.

and the list could go on to Cleveland, Chicago. etc all with pluses and minuses for Josh. I think the pull will be too great to keep him. The ONLY two things I think that will keep him here is if he is privy to the Bellichick's retirement plans and it won;t be much longer. The other would be if his wife doesn't want to move her family again. The Denver experience wasn't a good one I hear.

Patricia will also get a number of looks, though not as many as Josh. He is just now starting to get some serious national recognition. Without a single player in the front seven that even is close to an "elite level player", MattyP has worked miracles with 7 JAGs and their injury replacements. We know it, and now the rest of the country is starting to get the message.

But its the potential loss of Nick Casserio that really has me worried. He's been a constant force behind the rebuild of the team after 2009. He does SO much for the team than just be the defacto GM. My worst fear is that some team is smart enough to offer Josh AND Nick to come as a tandem to rebuild their franchise. And I hear the Giants have 2 openings. :eek:

There are going to be a LOT of openings next year and quite frankly not enough quality options for teams to fill them. There could be 7 or more. Giants, Bears, Bucs, Indy, Cleveland, and Denver as likely openings, PLUS, possible retirements in Cinci, and Arizona, and no one would be shocked to see changes with the Jets and Detroit. And you always have the surprise that no one expected like in Washington. That is a LOT of possible openings and Josh McDaniels is going to be at the top of ALL those lists.

NYG is the obvious choice, but Lombardi offered this caveat. The Giants have historically been a GM driven team and will have one likely hired BEFORE they hire a HC. Josh is going to want to know that he can work with a guy before he commits to moving his family again. So that isn't necessarily a done deal.

INDY would be another obvious choice. They have the QB, actually 2 that Josh would be comfortable. According to Lombardi, they have a GM Josh could work with, and don't forget Josh was raised in the Midwest. The major caveat would be they have about the worst OWNER in the league.

and the list could go on to Cleveland, Chicago. etc all with pluses and minuses for Josh. I think the pull will be too great to keep him. The ONLY two things I think that will keep him here is if he is privy to the Bellichick's retirement plans and it won;t be much longer. The other would be if his wife doesn't want to move her family again. The Denver experience wasn't a good one I hear.

Patricia will also get a number of looks, though not as many as Josh. He is just now starting to get some serious national recognition. Without a single player in the front seven that even is close to an "elite level player", MattyP has worked miracles with 7 JAGs and their injury replacements. We know it, and now the rest of the country is starting to get the message.

But its the potential loss of Nick Casserio that really has me worried. He's been a constant force behind the rebuild of the team after 2009. He does SO much for the team than just be the defacto GM. My worst fear is that some team is smart enough to offer Josh AND Nick to come as a tandem to rebuild their franchise. And I hear the Giants have 2 openings. :eek:

When I look at the 32 teams, I see at a minimum of 8 openings and bunch of hot seats

AFC
Jests: Hot seat
Dolts: Gone
Texans: I'm hearing BOB is going to issue McNair an ultimatum. Me or Smith.
Bungles: GONE
Brownstains: GONE
Raiduhs: GONE
Queefs: I'm hearing from my buddy in Overland Park Chumley is on the hot seat. They need to make the playoffs to save his job
Donkeys: Hot seat

NFC
Redskins: hot seat
Gints: GONE
Bucs: GONE
Lions: GONE
Bears: GONE
Cards: Hot seat

Caserio is the successor to Belichick, and they should make sure he’s paid GM money now to keep him. The Patriots have a program, and Caserio is in the best position to continue it, the HC of the NEP is secondary to that imo. Whether it’s McDaniels or Patricia makes little difference to me as long as Caserio is running by the franchise.

Although it would be tough to turn down the HC job of a storied team like the Giants - playing in the biggest media market no less - I actually DO think McDaniels and Patricia should remain here (especially if there's any question about working with a GM they aren't in sync with)

The thing about both of them - as long as BB and Brady are here, and they are Coordinators, they BOTH will continue to have advancement opportunities. Moving to the wrong team at the wrong time and they can find themselves out of a job in even a year - and in Josh's case, two strikes and he may be out forever.

So do what Scarnecchia did - settle in for the better quality of life as a devoted Coordinator until such time that BB opts to give up HC, become President and you get your chance to be HC here in an already well established system - effectively YOUR system that you've adopted as a BB prodigy.

I'd say McDaniels has the better shot over Patricia (IMO Patricia accepted a life appointment as a Patriots coordinator when he wore the Goodell Bozo shirt - and I don't think he even WANTS a HC job - though again, it's his for the taking elsewhere anytime if he does.)

That's best for them - they need be in no rush and the ultimately the best career move could well be to just remain here until their chance comes, as it sadly will one day

Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
Back