PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Why is sports-media so utterly worthless now?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PATS16N0

Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract
Reaction score
Let's just recap the Superbowl favorites from the previous 4 seasons.

These are the teams the massive Borg hive-mind of sports-media collectively declared the future Superbowl champions as if it was obvious or something.

2014 - The Broncos because they signed Ware and TJ ****ing Ward. WTF? Remember the "arms race?" The Broncos might as well have been handed the Lombardi in August for some inexplicable reason known only in the offices of ESPN and the NFL Network.

Fast forward to real football and the Broncos get trounced by the soft ass Colts in their own stadium. Most pathetic football performance I've ever seen. Later that week, their star WR tells the media the Denver locker room was "scared to go to Foxborough."

What a ****ing joke.

2013 - More Broncos. They lost to every playoff team during the regular season, were fortunate enough to cruise passed injury ravaged teams in the postseason, and then went on to embarrass the sport of football before a world wide audience, inspiring more LOL's on twitter than any event since the dawn of social media.

2012 -
The Texans, the Texans. We couldn't stop hearing about the ascending Houston Texans. All offseason and all season it was the Texans, Texans, Texans for the AFC.

Patriots throttled them so bad they still haven't recovered. It was such a vicious primetime beating the entire franchise went on a two-season downward spiral. And you wonder why they hate us?

2011 -
The Eagles Dream Team. Oh, wow, you better watch yourself.

Won 2 ****ing games.

Now it's the Colts who don't know how to perform the most basic facet of football-- the tackle.
With a **** coach, a soft team, and a QB who throws 4 picks a playoff game, what could possibly stop this juggernaut.

45-7.

I honestly don't know if the world of sports-media is legitimately stupid, or if it's a marketing strategy to maximize interest in the league across all markets, since the truth (only Baltimore and New England matter in the AFC) isn't as sexy when it's repeated season after season after season.

Sports media is more about shock value and the ratings it produces now. We have seen it and said it plenty here. How often is something idiotic a writer wrote or radio/TV host said linked to here, thereby generating more coverage for their "view?"

People love to make "bold" predictions now to be conversation starters when they themselves probably don't believe what they say/write. There aren't many level headed, unbiased, intelligent analysts out there. It's why I come to this website for my sports news now.

Last edited:
Sports media is more about shock value and the ratings it produces now. We have seen it and said it plenty here. How often is something idiotic a writer wrote or radio/TV host said linked to here, thereby generating more coverage for their "view?"

People love to make "bold" predictions now to be conversation starters when they themsves probably don't believe what they say/write. There aren't many level headed, unbiased, intelligent analysts out there. It's why I come to this website for my sports news now.

I'm repeating myself, but Freakonomics did a good podcast on predictions and why people make them. Basically, there's a huge incentive to do so. If you're right, you are treated like a genius. If you're wrong, well, few remember the bad predictions or call you out on them. So basically, it's a lot of reward for minimal risk.

If we kept scoreboards of predictions from "experts," that would be great. If football players are judged by yards per carry or completion percentage or tackles, then NFL talking heads should be evaluated by their opinions. There should be taglines underneath them with their running season totals.

Lester Munson and many others probably wouldn't even make the Mendoza Line...

24-7 news cycles and the internet. People just gotta say stuff to get clicks or people watching. No one really believes what they blather on about (I hope).

You say this like it had value at one point.

People focus much on 'stars' in projecting the results.

We moved on from Revis, we can't win.

Just more bulliten board material for BB.

Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
Back