PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Why do you think Patriots assistants are unsuccessful as HC’s?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not expecting Patricia to be a success TBH. But don't put that game all on him. The players completely and utterly failed. Pathetic execution.

Patricia is at fault for not having them ready.

Jets defense guessed right all night. That's on the coaches

Reading a lot from Detroit area jounalist that Lions players don't like Patricia and his work habbits. Lions players are use to being slakers. There has never been an emphasis to work hard. life is better being on IR and setting in hot tub rehading for weeks at a time. I've been a Lions fan since '57. Thank God NE finally got a team and then drafted Tom Brady. I don't see a turn around in Detroit anytime soon. The first thing we are going to see is Patricia cutting loose some veteran players that don't like his hard work habbits.

It’s not Patricia that sucks, trust me on this, the lions suck and have sucked worse than cleaveland for fifty years and with like 20 coaches. No one can fix Detroit.

They went 9-7 last year. They weren't exactly hapless like the Browns.

Patricia is at fault for not having them ready.

Jets defense guessed right all night. That's on the coaches

Little bit of both. You cannot tell your defense to GTFB and let the QB knit a sweater before throwing when you have that little talent on that side of the ball and your offense is struggling to put up points. You have to try to force the issue even if it means getting burned here and there. Especially against a rookie QB making his first start. So that you can blame Patricia on IMO. But he's not responsible for the black hole of talent in Detroit. He inherited that.

They went 9-7 last year. They weren't exactly hapless like the Browns.

They did pull a few winning seasons but are cursed to blow it over and over. They aren’t as bad as the browns right now. They can beat awful teams historically but never really win anything

gotta look at the fact that NFL franchises aren't known for their patience, either......they expect immediate results, and to set that culture doesn't happen over night.......try and do it too fast, and you'll end up like McD in Denver......he lost those players by pushing too hard
One exception is the patience that Mike Brown has shown with Marvin Lewis.

• Ha Ha
Reactions: PP2
Reading a lot from Detroit area jounalist that Lions players don't like Patricia and his work habbits. Lions players are use to being slakers. There has never been an emphasis to work hard. life is better being on IR and setting in hot tub rehading for weeks at a time. I've been a Lions fan since '57. Thank God NE finally got a team and then drafted Tom Brady. I don't see a turn around in Detroit anytime soon. The first thing we are going to see is Patricia cutting loose some veteran players that don't like his hard work habbits.
Bob Quinn has been there for 2 years now. In his 2016 draft he went all-in on the trenches. Last year was 6 of 9 picks on D.

Its gonna take time to change the culture there- and the talent.

Last edited:
This isn’t to necessarily overreact to one game, but definitley not a good start for Matt Patricia.

I just genuinely want to hear what other posters think the reason is for this trend.
MOst NFL coaches are basically worse.

Name the coaches better than Bill O. In the league besides Belichick?

Carroll
McCarthy
Garret???
Tomlin???
Harbaugh??????

All coaches suck.

Belichick disciples basically csurvey just above the line..

I'm not sure how to respond in this thread ...
Thought of a few reasons ...

But in the end the reality is I really don't give a sh!t that they suck after leaving.

Name the coaches better than Bill O. In the league besides Belichick?

Carroll
McCarthy
Garret???
Tomlin???
Harbaugh??????

All coaches suck.

Belichick disciples basically csurvey just above the line..
Peterson deserves some kudos.

I do agree BOB is a good coach.

If that's true then he has to root out all the weeds, regardless of their talent level or status.. and then change the culture by getting guys that want to work hard and win

Last spring summer there were scribes in the Detroit area who were blabbing about how Patricia was losing his team because he was making them run too much...

Cannot imagine what would possess guys who supposedly know about football who complain about a coach trying to get players in shape.. apparently what much of us have thought is proven true, Patricia inherited a lazy team who does not like "hard work habits"..

Always go back to Superbowl LII when the Pats ran about 100 offensive plays, and Atlanta was exhausted while the Pats did not miss a beat.. all that running up hills does pay off..

Detroit Lions coach Matt Patricia already in danger of losing his players

If that's true then he has to root out all the weeds, regardless of their talent level or status.. and then change the culture by getting guys that want to work hard and win

That's easier to say, than to actually do, and I guarantee you that every AC that leaves the Patriots envisions themselves doing that exact thing, but they don't have anywhere near the autonomy that BB has here, which is unprecedented. Kraft pretty much gives BB free reign over everything. Even BOB doesn't 100% have the reigns in Texas- his dumbass owner has interfered from time to time.

Elsewhere, these AC's have to contend with GM's that aren't on the same page, or have different visions and sign the wrong kind of players- or owners who know **** about football that interfere at every level (exhibit A1: Jerry Jones).

And as far as instituting a winning culture- it really helps when your best and most talented player is also the most hard working player, as that sets the standard.

We are so blessed and so lucky to have that in Tom Brady.

"And as far as instituting a winning culture- it really helps when your best and most talented player is also the most hard working player, as that sets the standard."

That's what i don't see with the Lions. Stafford is not a leader in the sense Brady is. Stafford plays his position and that's it. You never see him talk to any player. Stafford way overpaid and the Lions been in CAP hell until recently. Never once was there a discussion of Stafford offerning up some money so the Lions could acquire better talent. The Stafford lovers think that's ok.

• Agree
Reactions: PP2
Looking back at these coaches' records, I forgot completely that Romeo led Cleveland to a 10-6 record with Derek Anderson as the QB in 2007. That's a miracle. Offensive stars were Jamal Lewis, Kellen Winslow and Braylon Edwards. On defense the most notable name was 36 year old Willie McGinest. Holy hell.

Nerd Alert:

In his 1973 book, The Anxiety of Influence: A Theory of Poetry, critic Harold Bloom, one of my favorite (dead) people (most of my favorite people are dead, alas) writes about a sort of Oedipally-driven failure to thrive seen in young poets, experienced as they think of great(er?) poets who have gone before, their poetic "daddies." They fear, however they may posture and reassure themselves, that they cannot - symbolically! - murder and supplant the father figure in the hearts and bedrooms of the onlooking women.

That's the problem for Belichick's underlings.

How's that for hard-headed sports analysis?

Correction: Harold is not dead, I find. I like him anyway.

Little bit of both. You cannot tell your defense to GTFB and let the QB knit a sweater before throwing when you have that little talent on that side of the ball and your offense is struggling to put up points. You have to try to force the issue even if it means getting burned here and there. Especially against a rookie QB making his first start. So that you can blame Patricia on IMO. But he's not responsible for the black hole of talent in Detroit. He inherited that.

Except Caldwell took that same team to 9-7 the past two years. Maybe Patricia will turn it around, but they looked unprepared Monday. Being outplayed is one thing but looking like they had no clue is on the coaches.

I think he should be worried about losing the locker room this early. From some articles i've read, vets over there are already tuning him out.

I think when its all said and done McDaniels will be the Diamond in the rough.:cool: I am not and have never been a fan of Fat Matt.:rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents