PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Why didn't Ditka give Walter Payton the opprtunity to score in SB?

It might help to remember is that pro athletes don't grow into adulthood in the "real world" like most other folks, so occasional bouts of immaturity go with the territory.

Okay so I reference the play by play and I'll list the runs and passes that were in or near the red zone:
I left out one in the 4th quarter that was called back for penalty.
He had his chances ....

NE 14 ..... 1–10 Payton 1 run right (Tippett, Nelson).
NE 13 ..... 2–9 McMahon pass to Payton broken up (Blackmon), incomplete.
NE 5 ..... 2–2 Payton 1 run right (Nelson, Owens).
NE 3 ..... 1–goal Payton run left, loss of 2 (McGrew)
NE 4 ..... 1–goal Payton 2 run middle (Veris, Owens). Chicago–second time out.
NE 22 ..... 1–10 Payton 2 run off left tackle (Nelson).
NE 20 ..... 2–8 Payton 4 sweep right (Tippett).
NE 24.... 1–10 Payton run right, loss of 4 (R.
.....4th Quarter ... Chicago in the Red Zone Once
NE 5 ..... 1–goal Payton 1 run middle (Creswell).
NE 11 ..... 4–goal Payton 6 run middle (Owens).

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/sports/nfl/super/superbowl-xx-plays.htm

Very painful looking back at this O-Line sucked - 7 yards rushing for the day...ouch.

Last edited:
I've always thought that the only reason this has been a big deal over the years is because the Fridge scored a TD in that game. Otherwise, as IcyPatriot points out above (thanks for the stats, BTW), Sweetness was handed the ball four times at the five yard line or closer and never punched it in.* He was hardly being dissed in scoring situations.

The other way of looking at this is that this has also become a big deal because Walter Payton, one of the greatest ever to play the game, only got to one SB in a 13 year career. Should make us stop and think how amazing our Pats have been over the past 14 years, going to six.

(*And that, BTW, is why Carroll's call for a pass at the one with a timeout in hand was not really a dumb call. Even the Beast had limited success scoring from inside the two all season...but that's a digression and for another thread.)

I hear what both jmt and patjew are saying. And their comments are logical and clear.

But who cares ? WP is dead. Still a loser if he at all was a cry baby about a damned TD run in a SB victory. To jmt's point I say who cares ? I don't care how many times he ran the ball, whom scored rushing TDs, or about WP's feelings in general.

I would rather be a role player on a winning team than the superstar of a losing squad. Further, if a player is so bent out of shape about a teammate scoring while he doesn't, that person is a loser. WP was a loser.
Seriously? The guy carried that team for years. He was upset that they were down at the goalline a few times in a blowout and didn't get the call. He didn't scream from the mountaintop that he got screwed, or as you say cry about it. Your comments about one of the greatest football players to ever play the game are embarrassing.

It doesn't make a damned bit of difference to me

But whether this thread belongs here should be scrutinized

Seriously? The guy carried that team for years. He was upset that they were down at the goalline a few times in a blowout and didn't get the call. He didn't scream from the mountaintop that he got screwed, or as you say cry about it. Your comments about one of the greatest football players to ever play the game are embarrassing.

Who cares if he carried the team ? We know he was "upset" about not scoring a TD in a SB win. To me, the rest "he is a good guy, he is a good player" is irrelevant. We know he was upset. To me that is enough.

Why be embarassed ? It doesn't matter to me that he was one of the best. Lawrence Taylor was as well, and there are plenty of reasons to criticize him.

It doesn't make a damned bit of difference to me

But whether this thread belongs here should be scrutinized

Not sure what my alternatives are. I labeled it off topic and its early April. Don't say join a bears forum either, I wanted to ask those at pats fans.

Not sure what my alternatives are. I labeled it off topic and its early April. Don't say join a bears forum either, I wanted to ask those at pats fans.

As I said, I don't care......but I was reprimanded for making an Aaron Hernandez thread last week.......then it got moved

As someone who was at that game and can remember that we once carried a 3-0 lead (and knew we had no chance at that point), I consider myself an expert on all things Patriot and Bears related. ;)

It should be noted that all superbowls should occur in NO. I got to go to 2 there and was never disappointed

2. The Bears fans where great to party with, both before and after the game, gracious in victory and generous to the defeated. I don't think I had to buy a drink the rest of that night, courtesy of Bears fans.

3. The Pats were such a big underdog and their story to even get to the superbowl was a great narrative. There was never any question that the Pats were going to get an A for effort by the national press.. Don't forget, but until that time, no NFL team had ever won 3 road games to get to the superbowl

4. The 85 Bears IMHO, are without doubt the most dominant team in NFL history for a single season. No only did they blow out the regular season 15-1, IIRC they didn't have a playoff game that was closer than 20 points. In fact the their only loss was an end of the season meaningless game in steamy Miami against a decent Dolphins team with Marinio at his prime. The 72 Phins on their best day wouldn't be able to stay with that Bears team for a half.

5. The cautionary tale from that year is this: From being the most dominant team in NFL history, the Bears had a great regular season the following year (14-2 or something like that), then lost in their 2nd playoff game.......and didn't get back to the playoffs for close to a DECADE. :eek:

6, So from complete DOMINANCE to virtual OBLIVION in just under 2 seasons. THAT's how quickly in can fall apart. This object lesson from the past is designed to point out how DIFFICULT it is to maintain any kind of excellence in the NFL, and what a mind bending job BB has done in maintaining it so long. It would have been masterful if it were half as long.

7. As for Walter Peyton, amid the euphoria there were some Bear fans who wondered why the Frdige got the ball rather than Walter. I bet it is still a bone of contention in Chicago amid the "Ryan" and Ditka " cliques. But in the end, Icy's info sway's me. I think its a shame he didn't get a TD, but he had plenty of shots and it didn't happen. Plenty of great things happened in Walter Peyton's life, that it had to have been a VERY small disappointment in comparison.

8. Between you and me I feel much worse about Junior Seau leaving that field in 2007 without his superbowl ring

Last edited:
Who cares if he carried the team ? We know he was "upset" about not scoring a TD in a SB win. To me, the rest "he is a good guy, he is a good player" is irrelevant. We know he was upset. To me that is enough.
That's ridiculous. Many players are 'upset' about many things that happen during a game. You are totally mischaracterzing what happened. Apparently you just found out about it and made up the details.

Why be embarassed ? It doesn't matter to me that he was one of the best. Lawrence Taylor was as well, and there are plenty of reasons to criticize him.
Of course it matters, because you are characterizing him as a selfish player who cared more about being the guy that got the TD than his team winning, which is 100% wrong.

2. The Bears fans where great to party with, both before and after the game, gracious in victory and generous to the defeated. I don't think I had to buy a drink the rest of that night, courtesy of Bears fans.

I was in Tampa and the Bears played the Bucs that weekend in the old NFC Central and we hung out with and partied with the Bears fans and they were awesome. This is probably 93 back in the
Sombrero which was a pit.

I've also been to Chicago for work a half dozen times over the years and I've always met locals at bars and restaurants and had a blast hanging out with them. They have that Midwestern kindness and trust.

I was in Tampa and the Bears played the Bucs that weekend in the old NFC Central and we hung out with and partied with the Bears fans and they were awesome. This is probably 93 back in the
Sombrero which was a pit.

I've also been to Chicago for work a half dozen times over the years and I've always met locals at bars and restaurants and had a blast hanging out with them. They have that Midwestern kindness and trust.
I'd like to think that this is the reason. Bears fans, for the most part, are fans who don't feel the need to make YOU feel bad about your team, in order for THEM to feel good about their team.

I wish there were more fans who didn't have to hate you in order to love their own team. As Pats fans we should practice that creed whenever possible. As it stands now, the only teams in the league I really hate are the Jets and Ravens. To a leser extent I hate the Colts and Rams, but that has less to do with the team than the GM of the Colts and HC of the Rams. For the other 27, I'd be OK watching a game with them in the spirit of good competition. But then again for about 8 years running I went to every Pats Jets game in NJ wearing a Pats hat and never had a single problem

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Back