PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Why Did We Expect Better Than 50% In The 3 years After Brady?

2020: The winning train will roll on with or without Tom. I’m not sentimental and whatever’s best for the team is best for the team. The only thing that matters is winning. Next man up!

2023: Stop it! Stop it please!! So what if Bill is holding us back!!! I’m happy with seven wins. I’m happy with three wins. Who cares, it’s just a stupid game. Please please please Mister Kraft don’t fire Bill. You are all so spoiled and ungrateful!!!
Zero people have said anything like that.

If slightly better than average more often than nit is your goal, we will never agree.
Check the winning percentages on Carrol post Wilson and Bill post Brady and get back to me.

curious to see how this season plays out with the Patriots, BB rightfully has a lot of heat, but just have seen the current SOS for the Pats so far .645 thats a hell of a schedule so far, the weird thing was they were quite close in most of the games against the good teams and ****ed it up vs Vegas and Dallas, but ok, lets see how it will go down the road, would not be surprised if the Pats get a few wins the next few weeks with the schedule becoming more soft and "easier" teams on the plate
I'm a conflicted fan.. I want BB to be the HC, but I don't want him picking then next QB. We need some offensive minded, talented people with no ties to him to be part of the next rebuild. Your right I think they find a way to get a few more wins.. but we still stay in position for # pick overall.

How is there a bar? We are where we are.
Confused Always Sunny GIF by It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia

Pete Carrol's teams got worse in 3 consecutive years and he was canned. Even if you give Bill a pass on 2020 in all likelihood we will finish with a worse record than last year.
And Pete Carroll's Pats teams were in no way, shape or form as bad as this one has been for 4 years now. Pete never had a losing season here but Bill has squeezed 4 of them into his 6 here without Brady as the QB.
Here's the thing though. His team won a division title, won a playoff game, had two playoff appearances at the mercy of Bobby Grier ruining the team. He let important players go and their replacements were massive downgrades. Curtis Martin was also injured in 1997. Robert Edwards had a freak accident. Bledsoe broke his figure late in 1998. Willie McGinest was Mr. Glass. Pete got a raw deal. Bill has no excuse for the situation he's in. If Bob was younger, this for sure would be Bill's last season.

Rebuilding on the fly is tough. Things feel worse than reality partly because of BB's history. The local and national media is has it out for revenge after so many years of being on top and all of the cheating allegations. He is also a very easy target because he is GM and coach. He got too much credit for personnel during the good years and too much blame during the rough patches.

2019 - Brady left because he could see that the cupboard was bare and did not want to participate in a rebuild at that stage of his career. It was hard to take as a fan, but probably the right thing for Brady and starting the rebuild.
2020 - The team was probably caught off guard by the timing of Brady's exit and had to scramble to start the rebuild. Stidham proving not to be a starting QB, dead money and COVID conspired to make it a lost season.

2021 - Year 1 with a new QB went about as well as could be hoped. Teams figured out Mac at the end of the season. Assuming a three year window to develop a franchise QB, things looked pretty good.

2022 - JMD left and BB made the horrendous decision to go with MP as OC, likely as a bridge year to BOB. Mac regressed and BB lost the trust of the locker room because of the OC decision. Drafting a guard in the first round and missing on a WR created more doubt that BB was the guy. His contract extension in the offseason is a good indication that RKK was in on the plans.

2023 - All of the promise of the offseason was undermined by a ridiculous number of injuries on the OL. Coupled with no high end weapons on offense further exposed Mac's limitations. His decision making and leadership are the real gaps in his game. Losing Judon and Gonzo took away the teams strength and doomed the team to failure. With Mac failing to develop into a franchise QB and no good alternatives on the roster we are looking at starting again next year.
There was no "bridge year to BoB". The plan was for Matt and Judge to work out.

Last edited:
Because we were all convinced that Bill was the greatest coach in the history of professional sports and put a lot of confidence in his ability. In reality, he's just another below average coach without the greatest player of all time under center.
See, this is ridiculous, he's not average, you don't win 6 super bowls and go to 9 because you're average, Tom had a ton to do with it, but he didn't create the whole roster. Disrespectful of what Bill has done. This is too far in the other direction; the truth lies somewhere in the middle.

See, this is ridiculous, he's not average, you don't win 6 super bowls and go to 9 because you're average, Tom had a ton to do with it, but he didn't create the whole roster. Disrespectful of what Bill has done. This is too far in the other direction; the truth lies somewhere in the middle.
I definitely think Bill had a lot to do with the super bowl wins. My thing is I believe Brady would have won multiple super bowls without Bill whereas I don’t think Bill ever would have won a Super Bowl without Brady.

I get it. For NEP fans being competitive for the playoffs for 3 years in NOT respectable.

Let's wait and see how good other teams are after their top QB's leave. four years ago.

Brady left 4 years ago. Pats have made the playoffs once and were trounced in the WC by 30 points.

I definitely think Bill had a lot to do with the super bowl wins. My thing is I believe Brady would have won multiple super bowls without Bill whereas I don’t think Bill ever would have won a Super Bowl without Brady.
We'll never know but I think Bill had more to do with the first 3 super bowl wins than people are giving credit. Tom became great starting in 2007 and could have won a super bowl with a number of teams that had the pieces in place. Tampa was just itching for a QB with its roster and Tom brought along a couple of great players with him to put them over the top. It's the, it's all Tom for 20 years and Bill was just along for the ride that rubs some of us the wrong way. The today and now is a different argument because of his age and bring up past years really has little to do with the current team.

We'll never know but I think Bill had more to do with the first 3 super bowl wins than people are giving credit. Tom became great starting in 2007 and could have won a super bowl with a number of teams that had the pieces in place. Tampa was just itching for a QB with its roster and Tom brought along a couple of great players with him to put them over the top. It's the, it's all Tom for 20 years and Bill was just along for the ride that rubs some of us the wrong way. The today and now is a different argument because of his age and bring up past years really has little to do with the current team.
I have no problem admitting Bill was a big part of the early dynasty days but Brady was generally a top 5 QB from 2002-2006 so he wasn't some Trent Dilfer type getting dragged along by a great defense either. The roster building on those early 2000's teams was Bill's sweet spot. That was back when the game was played in a way that aligned with the way Bill liked to build a team. The problem is Bill still likes to build a team like that when it is almost a different sport at this point.

I have no problem admitting Bill was a big part of the early dynasty days but Brady was generally a top 5 QB from 2002-2006 so he wasn't some Trent Dilfer type getting dragged along by a great defense either. The roster building on those early 2000's teams was Bill's sweet spot. That was back when the game was played in a way that aligned with the way Bill liked to build a team. The problem is Bill still likes to build a team like that when it is almost a different sport at this point.
During that time, Bill drafted 8 Pro Bowl/All Pro players and 2 eventual HOF's (Seymour already there, Brady).

0 in the last 10 years. It's amazing people can't see the correlation.

Last edited:

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/9: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/8: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 5/7: News and Notes
What Did Tom Brady Say During His Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Drew Bledsoe Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast? Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Belichick Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
Back