PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Why Did We Expect Better Than 50% In The 3 years After Brady?

mgteich

PatsFans.com Veteran
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
START RANT
==============
Brady was the best of all time. By 2019, the team around him wasn't a lot of top players. It was Brady that made the team good.

SO, Brady goes. We are left with a relatively weak roster with no QB.

WHAT DID WE EXPECT TO HAPPEN?
========================
Did the team collapse and become non-competitive under a horrible QB and then a rookie QB.

NO!

The team has been 50% in the three years after Brady.
=========================
I guess that we just expected that the management is so good that we can go from Cam to the Super Bowl in 3 or 4 years. Being competitive for the playoffs in EVERY YEAR since Brady left was simply NOT enough.

Personally, I think that we greatly underestimate the effect of the 2022 coaching changes and Belichick's unwillingness to lead and make changes during 2022.
========
END RANT

I didn't expect Bill to give two failed coaches completely out of their element on offense the keys to helping send our young first round QB's career sideways but here we are.

I think a big part of the expectations for better after Brady is the fact that it became so apparent that Belichick WANTED to win without Brady, and because of his status as the greatest coach of all time, we all thought he could. It’s completely natural the team would dip after Brady, but since they pushed him out the door they kind of lose their excuse for it.

Bad drafts are Head Coach or dynasty killers. Even with Tom Brady, there was a 10 year drought because of this and the next dynasty was re-ignited with Gronk/Hernandez/McCourty/Chandler Jones/Hightower. If you want to know why this team is as bad as it its, go back in time and look at Bill's drafts during the 1st Dynasty and the 2nd dynasty. Many Pro Bowl and All Pro players were drafted and you can see the correlation of quality of picks when he had Piloli, Dimetroff and Reese on staff. Bill has not drafted an Pro Bowl/All Pro player on offense or defense in 10 years since these guys left. 10 years! I know certain posters are enamored with these last 2 to 3 drafts, but they were not any good.

Last edited:
tl; dr: Many Patriots fans have been spoiled.

The franchise defied the design of the NFL for 20 years doing it the only way you can with great QBing and coaching. Fans forget that the league is designed to push winning teams into losing by way of the salary cap, draft positioning (with some added stealing of draft picks), and other natural forces such as less successful teams signing your coaches and FAs. However, the league does not guarantee a losing team will eventually become winners. That only happens through competence in QBing and coaching.

tl; dr: Many Patriots fans have been spoiled.

The franchise defied the design of the NFL for 20 years doing it the only way you can with great QBing and coaching. Fans forget that the league is designed to push winning teams into losing by way of the salary cap, draft positioning (with some added stealing of draft picks), and other natural forces such as less successful teams signing your coaches and FAs. However, the league does not guarantee a losing team will eventually become winners. That only happens through competence in QBing and coaching.
I didn't expect greatness after Tom left I expected to be relevant like Seattle in year 4 after his departure instead we are talking about tanking now

Personally, I think that we greatly underestimate the effect of the 2022 coaching changes and
I think most on this board greatly overestimate the impact of coaching in general.
Belichick's unwillingness to lead and make changes during 2022.
More accurately, his unwillingness to get his head out of his ass since around 2017.

Personally, I think that we greatly underestimate the effect of the 2022 coaching changes and Belichick's unwillingness to lead and make changes during 2022.
If anything I think the display Mac Jones has put on this season makes BB's decision not to remove Patricia from OC somewhat justified. Coaching was clearly not the biggest problem.

Because Belichick drove Brady out because he believed his bulls.hit system was responsible for 90% of the success and Kraft was stupid enough to believe it.
This is the correct answer.

There were people in this very forum who that honestly believed the Pats were better off sacrificing a ring and trading Brady if it meant keeping Garopollo.

That's how much they bought into the myth that Belichick can win with anyone. They honestly thought that they could plug in any QB and "continue the dynasty", therefore they were better off moving on Brady earlier.

.500 i was ok with for the first 3 years. You figure year 1 of a rebuild will be bad, year 2 somewhere around .500, and year 3 should balance out year 1. Didn’t happen in that order but whatever.

The problem is year 4 is going worse than all of them, thanks in large part to a suck ass draft in 2022 and neglecting the rt position all offseason until week 7. Bill drafted poor from 2006-2008 which hurt us for a few years and we had a similar bad stretch 2017-2019. But you cant really afford to not start hitting yearly like Bill did from 2010 till around 2016. 20 was a good draft. 21 was okay at best if barmore continues his good start this year. 22 is looking like a disaster, you just cant botch drafts like that in the middle of a rebuild.

Who is asking for a Super Bowl? I have backtracked so much that I am just okay with an actual direction in our 4th post-Brady season. We have regressed.

Why?
The Patriots went
11-5 with Matt Cassel
3-1 Without brady in 2016

Then
7-9 with Cam Newton's corpse throwing to Damiere Byrd

After that armed with an impressive Free Agency war chest why wouldn't we expected to be better than 50%?

And at first it worked.
9-4 through the Buffalo game where we won throwing the ball only 3 times.

Since that game the Patriots are 11-18 (and an incredibly embarrassing playoff loss).

Its almost like the Football gods were angered by BB refusing to pass in the Buffalo game?

Why?
The Patriots went
11-5 with Matt Cassel

Then

After that armed with an impressive Free Agency war chest why wouldn't we expected to be better than 50%?

And at first it worked.

Since that game the Patriots are 11-18 (and an incredibly embarrassing playoff loss).

Its almost like the Football gods were angered by BB refusing to pass in the Buffalo game?
They won the Buffalo game. The number of passes thrown is irrelevant.

Why?
The Patriots went
11-5 with Matt Cassel

Then

And at first it worked.

So few things more annoying than people throwing around the Cassel line.

We went 11-5 with Cassel but everyone just loves to ignore that we produced half the offense of the previous year and lost to every decent AFC team which is why we missed the playoffs. Finally people love to use this as some sort of accomplishment because it was Cassel but then conveniently ignore that Cassel won his division and made the probowl with Haley and a worse Chiefs team. If that is the measuring stick is Haley some genius coach?

As for the 3-1, anyone can fluke a few wins. We have seen it happen with many backup QBs. Not to mention the desire to hold it together knowing Brady was coming back.

We should have been a good team in year 4. Anyone who says they expected differently is flat out lying. I have seen many coaches turn teams around in much shorter time frames. Is Bill not the greatest thing since sliced bread? How can he not do what Carrol has done from basically year 1?

As some of the posts said, I was under the delusion that Belichick knew what he was doing and had a plan to win when he ran Brady out of town. It turns out it was all pure ego and dilusions.

START RANT
==============
Brady was the best of all time. By 2019, the team around him wasn't a lot of top players. It was Brady that made the team good.

SO, Brady goes. We are left with a relatively weak roster with no QB.

WHAT DID WE EXPECT TO HAPPEN?
========================
Did the team collapse and become non-competitive under a horrible QB and then a rookie QB.

NO!

The team has been 50% in the three years after Brady.
=========================
I guess that we just expected that the management is so good that we can go from Cam to the Super Bowl in 3 or 4 years. Being competitive for the playoffs in EVERY YEAR since Brady left was simply NOT enough.

========
END RANT
I expected better than this. I expected it would take a few years to get back to respectability, but what is going on, and what has gone on is rediculous. The team is regressing not progressing.

This is the correct answer.

There were people in this very forum who that honestly believed the Pats were better off sacrificing a ring and trading Brady if it meant keeping Garopollo.

That's how much they bought into the myth that Belichick can win with anyone. They honestly thought that they could plug in any QB and "continue the dynasty", therefore they were better off moving on Brady earlier.
Was that like 4 or 5 fans?

It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
Back