PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Who will New England play in Divisional round?

THE HUB FOR PATRIOTS FANS SINCE 2000

MORE PINNED POSTS:
Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

who will NE play?

• Indianapolis

Votes: 79 64.2%
  • Cincinnati

Votes: 19 15.4%
  • Baltimore

Votes: 25 20.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Baltimore can not hang Pittsburgh offensively .. I like Pittsburgh 38-14

I agree that Balt haven't got an O to match Pitts, but if Bell isn't playing or not 100%, the gap closes a bit.

But it will come to a good game from Balt O and bad for Pitts O.

Do you think teams are afraid to play here? Or that different players wearing a Baltimore Raven winning here before would have an impact on this game?
I think it is totally irrelevant myself.
Two separate questions.

Sure, the players wearing the Ravens uniform today are, for the most part, different than the guys who stomped the Pats in Foxboro five years ago (Flacco started that game but was a non-factor with Rice and a couplof other guys playing lights out). I've never been part of an NFL lockerroom, but I think that a Franchise can have a culture that gets passed from team to team, year to year, through the veterans; part of the Ravens culture seems to be that they are confident that they can go into hostile environments for Playoff Games where visiting teams generally don't do so well and pull out a victory, as they also did in Denver a couple of years ago.

So, yes, I think there is something about the Ravens's culture that leaves them confident and fearless for a trip to Foxboro.

I think that it would be very different for Andy Dalton or Andrew Luck bringing their teams here. The Pats humiliated the former at home and took the latter to school in his own house already this season. Yeah, I think they'd fear a playoff game in Foxboro (see next paragraphs).

So, yes, I think that visiting teams generally don't want to have to win big games in venues like Foxboro or Lambeau or Denver.

Are they "afraid" of playing in those places? I guess that depends on your definition of the word. If you mean "afraid" for their physical safety, then no. If you mean afraid that it's gonna be tough to win, then yes. Can that be worth a few points or a big play or two? Yeah, I think so.

If we get Indy McDaniels unfortunately will outsmart himself by not running on them this time knowing Indy will expect us to do it again.

There is no way Cincy is gonna win. Two words: Ginger snaps!
Yes, but how about Luck sux! :)

Seriously, if bows out early again in the playoffs, people are going to start to talk.

Yes, but how about Luck sux! :)

Seriously, if bows out early again in the playoffs, people are going to start to talk.

Hell no. He's the second coming of Elway and it will take years for them to let that go.

Sup (happy new year BTW), sure, the Ravens are the only team with 2 playoff wins against the Patriots in Foxboro, both done relatively recently, and the Ravens did it both times as a team that didn't appear overly 'great' during the regular season. I can see that causing the possibility of concern in the back of the mind. But, unlike these other two years where the Patriot flaws were much too ripe for the picking, I'd be shocked if this year's Raven team can take down the Patriots in Foxboro -- and that includes the Ravens getting hot right now. I just do not see the Ravens running the ball and passing the ball consistently enough to sustain drives. I just can't see it happening against our D as it is currently constructed (if the Patriots can get an average/just satisfactory pass rush going?? Forgetaboutit). On top of that (to sound like a broken record) if the OL plays satisfactory -- their play doesn't need to be great! just satisfactory -- and I'm outright claiming the Patriots will hand it to the Ravens (and I'll be the first one to come here and call myself out if the Ravens matchup occurs and the Ravens win).

As far as my personal preference for our next opponent, we see it differently (though this could be the Rum and Cokes plus fireworks talking :)), I think the Ravens may be our optimum opponent. It's a close call between them or Indy (Indy's trend does say it is ripe for a playoff exit) but the Ravens haven't shown me a solid and potent victory with top tier play in all 3 phases in.....in......I don't remember seeing one Raven game that qualifies as that. IMHO that contrasts with both Pitt and Cincy. Cincy does play inconsistent, however, they have demonstrated solid potency when they execute (Pitt more so -- though I am not buying Pitt, or Cincy, either). IMHO there is Denver and then there are 4 teams whose A game loses to the Patriots A game. With Denver's A game against the Patriots A game, it is a much closer matchup that, thankfully, in Foxboro makes it favor the Patriots.

Great thoughts, TBS. Happy New Year to you and your family as well.

I too, feel pretty confident about our chances vs. the Ravens this year, but I'd personally rather see Cincinnati myself. Much like your reasoning with Baltimore, I'm just not too concerned with their offense, which I find to be pathetic. The fact that they are horrible in prime time games and playoff games (aside from Peyton Manning giving the game to them with 4 interceptions) takes that up one more notch. I don't imagine that too many would agree with me, though.

Out of any of the 3 teams (CIN, BAL, IND), I would least like to face Indy, actually. They have 2 capable TEs who both had 8 touchdowns+, as well as other receiving weapons with TY Hilton, Reggie Wayne, and Donte Moncrief. I don't see any other of the 2 remaining team options who pose that kimd of threat. While I would still feel confident vs. IND, I just think the other 2 have very little offensive firepower, and would likely fizzle out rather quickly. My small amount of concern for Baltimore likely stems from the past and their front seven--nothing more.

I agree that Balt haven't got an O to match Pitts, but if Bell isn't playing or not 100%, the gap closes a bit.

But it will come to a good game from Balt O and bad for Pitts O.

Agreed, and I'll take it a step farther: the gap closes a Lot if Bell isn't himself, and when I say a Lot,
I mean as in the Ratbirds could very easily win.

This weekend, I'm really really hoping the winners will be Cinci & PitsDirt, so I expect the winners
will be Indy & Bal'more instead.

Either way, I cannot wait to watch these games. The Sunday night game in particular. I can't wait until we know who New England is playing! This is one of the most exciting parts of getting a bye, the anticipation.

It's going to be Indy or Baltimore. There is no way Dalton will win a playoff game, on the road, against a team that already humiliated them this season. Oh I should have stopped at the playoff game condition, that's enough.

On a side note, Denver is probably the coldest NFL place in America this week, it's been freezing there and if they had to play on the wild card is these conditions Manning would look even worse than the Bengals game. Let's see how it's going to be in the divisional round.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes