PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Who poses biggest threat in Divisional round?

I hear you Joey, this is a different Pat team this year, but let's face it, if we can't beat the Jets at home, we shouldn't even be in the playoffs. ;);)
Lol no disagreement there, fair enough

Assuming Pats take care of business this week, and assuming San Diego advances to play KC... who poses greatest threat Baltimore Houson or Indy...

I think playing Baltimore would present same challenge as Denver in AFCCG in '15... I'd like to avoid them so I'll be rooting for Houston I think.

Playing Baltimore at home is that same as playing Denver in Denver???? We are 10-3 lifetime against that franchise... (23-30 against Denver)

Right Now the AFC seeding is 1) KC 2) NE 3)Houston 4) Baltimore 5)LA not SD 6) Indianapolis.

NFL Playoff Picture - NFL.com

I think any team in the AFC can beat us, but we will win the Home game. (we will be seed 2, not losing to the Jets.)

For me getting to the AFCCG this year and getting to 8 straight matters. We have a decent chance to win it all if KC gets knocked off and if the AFCCG is at home.

I think the loser between KC and the Bolts would be the biggest threat if we face them in the Divisional round. Normally I'd eliminate the team with a young QB and a poor defense but Mahomes seems different. The Bolts look like the most balanced team.
KC and the Bolts likely will have to face each other in Divisional, unless the Colts also advance in the 6th seed over Houston. Could happen.

Colts can still win their Division. That would shake all this up a little.

What scenario would have the #2 seed play the #6 seed?

None, unless the 6 seed and 2 seed advance to the AFCCG. I’m talking about all our potential opponents, not just the ones we’ll face in the divisional...

Last edited:
Baltimore and pitt would be better off avoiding. Pitt is unpredictable

As I’ve stated before, teams with great offenses DO NOT beat NE in playoff games. Teams with great defenses do. You do the math..

We have a good team. Not a dominant team. ANY team we face in the playoffs will be a legitimate threat. The fact is that this time around all of the teams we would play are teams that have as good if not better talent. Its just the way it is. Every game will be a crap shoot, and we will have to win 3 in a row to get to the promised land. It's as simple as that.
Along these lines I was going to say that the Pats are the biggest threat to the Pats. Inconsistent play (on both sides of the ball) has been a problem all year and will knock us out vs. any of these opponents if it rears its ugly head. Hopefully they keep the bye and use the week off to get their act together.

Houston, with a legit #1 WR,
As I’ve stated before, teams with great offenses DO NOT beat NE in playoff games. Teams with great defenses do. You do the math..
This is usually the case.

I looked at opponents rushing stats, assuming that owning the ground game is the Pats best path to a championship. Baltimore and Houston are #3 and #4, respectively.

Looking at the passing defense, I was surprised to see Houston in the bottom 5.

So, I have to say that Baltimore is the bigger threat defensively. They may be the bigger offensive threat too. With Thomas hurt, Houston is a one man offense, and the Patriots beat one man offenses. The Patriots lose to gimmicky, no name, throw up in your mouth while the #5 running back gashes you offenses.

Houston, with a legit #1 WR,

This is usually the case.

I looked at opponents rushing stats, assuming that owning the ground game is the Pats best path to a championship. Baltimore and Houston are #3 and #4, respectively.

Looking at the passing defense, I was surprised to see Houston in the bottom 5.

So, I have to say that Baltimore is the bigger threat defensively. They may be the bigger offensive threat too. With Thomas hurt, Houston is a one man offense, and the Patriots beat one man offenses. The Patriots lose to gimmicky, no name, throw up in your mouth while the #5 running back gashes you offenses.
Agree. With HOU, shut down Hopkins & try to contain Watson. Ball game.

What scenario would have the #2 seed play the #6 seed?
None of course. 2 can never play 6 in the divisional round (and 1 can never play 3).
But I expect you know that and are being sarcastic to the person you’re replying to. :)

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back