PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Who is the next biggest AFC threat after KC

Status
Not open for further replies.

BobDigital

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
KC is in this season for the long haul. Unless they get injured they will be blowing doors off defenses for the rest of the year and into the playoffs.

At this point I think every Patriots fan would agree they pose the biggest problem, but who is after them? I think it comes down to four teams.

Jags - You have to believe that with their talent they have the ability to turn it around. They are a team that can be a world beater or well below average and a lot of that depends on Blake Bortles. If they right the ship and their QB gets hot at the right time they are dangerous.

Steelers - They have been a bit of a slow starter at times but we know what their offense can do when it is right. I wonder how they will use Conner when Bell comes back. Another offensive powerhouse. The only issue is the Pats have their number and it makes me not fear them as much.

Ravens - Right now they are the best Defense in the NFL. It is true a lot of it was against fairly weak offensive competition but 77 points in 6 games is good no matter who you play. We know what Flacco can do when he gets hot but that is pretty rare. With their weapons it is hard to take them too seriously honestly.

Chargers - They have 2 loses to the Rams and KC. I don't see how that is anything to deminish the year this team is having. Not to mention they are doing it a bit banged up and will get healthier. This is a team that has been on the verge of breaking through for years, and this is the year they finally make the leap. Rivers is too good to be kept down his whole career. We will see how they look when healthy. Right now they are a distant thought but an interesting dark horse.

Last edited:
If Bosa comes back anywhere close to last year the Chargers and KC will be the biggest "threats" in the AFC.

The Ravens will not be able to keep our offense contained unless we lose some of the players to injuries.

Jacksonville would be a different game if we had Chung and Flowers for the entire game and Gordon on offense. A potential rematch in the playoffs would be a lot harder for them.

I am not sure the Steelers even make the post season.

The ravens will be really dangerous if they can find a running game

To date, it's definitely Baltimore IMO. They're the only defense in the conference that I think we might struggle to drop 30 on.

San Diego is also looking like the real deal so far, and could get really scary when Bosa comes back if he's anywhere near Fair or not, though, I have a hard time taking them seriously until we actually lose a game to them.

The Jaguars scare me less than most. They benefited from truly absurd injury luck last year on defense, their starters missed virtually no games to injury. That rarely translates from one year to the next, and we're starting to see that attrition wear on them.

Ravens and Steelers

Jags and Chargers are pretenders

Comments:

a.) The Patriots defense will determine how far this team goes, IMO. Not our opponents...

b.) Biggest threats by division:

AFC North: Baltimore, Cincinnati, and Pittsburgh can all give us trouble. Baltimore with defense...and the other two offensively. Not worried about the Browns as we don't play them this year...but I don't see it implausible that they make the play-offs though...
a few division wins and they could make it...

AFC South: I am less worried about this division than I was in August. Jacksonville is the biggest threat as they have the best combo of offense/defense. At least, with Tennessee...we can contain their offense which is very limited between Henry/Lewis and Corey Davis as the only weapons outside of Mariota......and Houston's OL is so bad that it makes our DL look good. Indy is a year away at least...maybe more.

AFC West: Chiefs' offense...and I am worried that Berry will make them even better...Berry really shut down Gronk in week 1 last year. The Chargers' offense is pretty good....I watch a lot of Charger games....they have a good offense/defensive balance. They were a tough out last year before we hit the BYE. Not worried about Denver unless we need to play there. Raiders are a dumpster fire.

c.) Don't even care about the NFC...but some divisions have it tougher. I am happy we are playing the NFC North this year even if we are 0-1 so far. Better than the NFC South, IMO.

The Steelers offense is potent, they are a threat but we own them.

Ravens are legit I think, they actually have WR’s now and chuck it Joe Flacco is well... chucking it. D is good (by today’s standards).

Chargers are good but I feel like they will find a way to blow it as usual.

Jags are frauds. They beat us without our weapons while they were playing their SB and us wrapping up preseason.

Not that I view these teams as contenders but Fins, Bills and Jests are all frisky teams that can win a game out of nowhere. Can’t sleep on them when we play them.

“Playoff” Baltimore Ravens. Offensive teams DO NOT beat NE. We can/ will go TD for TD with any offense. It’s great defenses that create interior pressure that give us issues. Also, they have the pedigree.

Baltimore/Jags are the type of teams that can beat the Patriots. Both are capable of being elite defenses and are well coached.

The Steelers will continue to -not- beat the Patriots. I see no scenario where the Steelers defense is able to stop the Pats, as mentioned by other users, very rarely are you going to win a shootout vs the Pats, especially if it's in Foxboro.

And the Chargers are still Phillip Rivers with a medicore coach, as they have always been. Not sure why the media decided to annoint them as a SB contender this preseason. I will never take them seriously.

Baltimore/Jags are the type of teams that can beat the Patriots. Both are capable of being elite defenses and are well coached.

The Steelers will continue to -not- beat the Patriots. I see no scenario where the Steelers defense is able to stop the Pats, as mentioned by other users, very rarely are you going to win a shootout vs the Pats, especially if it's in Foxboro.

And the Chargers are still Phillip Rivers with a medicore coach, as they have always been. Not sure why the media decided to annoint them as a SB contender this preseason. I will never take them seriously.

Jacksonville, yes. Chargers, yes. Baltimore doesn't have the horses.

I'd rather face the Steelers anytime anywhere than the Ravens. Flacco always has an out of body experience against us.

Jaguars

Chargers are also good and when Bosa is back...

It's going to be the Chargers until they get lit up with injuries again. That defense is talented and they're playing well on the offensive side of the ball. Nobody talks about them because nobody watches them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes