PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Who deserves more blame for losing the Super Bowl?

THE HUB FOR PATRIOTS FANS SINCE 2000

MORE PINNED POSTS:
Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

Who deserves more blame? Jimmy G or Garappolo

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
A mixture of Jimmy G and Shanahan. When the whole world knew the 49ers needed to kill the clock in the 4th qtr the Chiefs loaded the box. Jimmy G simply missed open receivers on consecutive drives late in the 4th qtr when he had his receivers beat man coverage. On the 3rd down when the 49ers were still leading he had a receiver crossing for a 1st down with separation and he threw it away. Then the next drive down by 4 he overthrew the long bomb by 5 yds. Those misses aren’t on Shanahan. But Shanahan should have ran the ball on 2nd down when they were clock killing. That was a mistake.

Than it’s not Shanahan fault if he’s drawing up plays with WRs running open down field which they were

They are totally unsuited for each other. SF needs a robotic type of QB like Matt Ryan who is told exactly where to put the ball. Jimmy G. back in New England would be awesome...he would thrive.

if he can’t hit Kittle/Samuel/Sanders all alone down field he’s not hitting Edelman with two men on him over here

Can't comment since I fell asleep when SF was up 20-10.
I woke up with a start as Reid and Mahomes were being interviewed.
I'm like " wtf?"
I don't care enough to find out whose fault the loss was. I don't really gaf.

Early in the 4th, they needed to keep Mahomes off the field, control the ball and run them down. Rushing game was fantastic for three quarters, at some point they converted 3 straight runs for 10+ yards between Mostert and Coleman... have no idea why they kept shootin with Jimmy later on, it looked desperate.
Mahomes was also desperate on a couple of throws but well, nobody will remember that in a week, unfortunately.
Their only passes outside of runs at that point should've been checkdowns like Brady to Vereen/White.

Just saw this.

“Jimmy Garoppolo had 2.8 rating in 4th quarter. The only player w/ lower rating in 4th quarter of playoff loss since 2000 season (min 5 attempts) was Vince Young at 0.0 (1 for 5, 6 yards INT) vs in 4th quarter vs Chargers 1/6/08”

Ouch

We can debate this all we want, but all I know is that Jimmy Garoppolo had the ball in his hands and a chance to win the Super Bowl, with 2:24 on the clock, three timeouts and the two minute warning remaining.

In the end, he didn't get it done.

Arguing all day about whose fault it was doesn't change the fact that Garoppolo didn't accomplish what Brady, E. Manning (gulp, twice), John Elway and others have done when given the opportunity that every kid who aspires to play QB in the NFL dreams of having.

The only answer is Jimmy who castes how Kyle called the game even at the end he made a perfect play call had Sanders all by himself and this fool misses by 10 yds. Add him missing Kittle I’m 3rd for a TD when he was alone and missing Kittle again by himself on 3rd down having to settle for a FG

He missed Kittle all year long.

One of the best in the biz went on draughts thanks to Jimmy Bambino.

We can debate this all we want, but all I know is that Jimmy Garoppolo had the ball in his hands and a chance to win the Super Bowl, with 2:24 on the clock, three timeouts and the two minute warning remaining.

In the end, he didn't get it done.

Arguing all day about whose fault it was doesn't change the fact that Garoppolo didn't accomplish what Brady, E. Manning (gulp, twice), John Elway and others have done when given the opportunity that every kid who aspires to play QB in the NFL dreams of having.

Add the fact that SF had 1:30 in the first half all timeouts and the 9ers did not trust Jimmy.

SF opted for FGs when you meed TDs. Converted on 3 - 3rd downs placing the 49 D back out there allowing KC 21 additional plays than SF and the ball for 7 more minutes.

Add it all up and you just screwed yourself.

The Pats could have fleeced SF for more than a 2nd and gotten more than Dropesett for Jacobi Brisset, but overall they did OK. Each QB is mid tier 10 - 20 and not top 10 never out of a game players.

Add the fact that SF had 1:30 in the first half all timeouts and the 9ers did not trust Jimmy.

SF opted for FGs when you meed TDs. Converted on 3 - 3rd downs placing the 49 D back out there allowing KC 21 additional plays than SF and the ball for 7 more minutes.

Add it all up and you just screwed yourself.

The Pats could have fleeced SF for more than a 2nd and gotten more than Dropesett for Jacobi Brisset, but overall they did OK. Each QB is mid tier 10 - 20 and not top 10 never out of a game players.
Garoppolo wasn't great, although he got SF in field goal range with a great throw at the end of the 1st half. Refs had other plans, and took it away from them.

In fairness, we can't really pin that on Mosley, he wasn't in man coverage. Salah deserves a big share of the blame for sticking to a zone scheme even when it wasn't working.

You just can't play zone against KC when you're trying to hold a lead. Mahomes is very good at feeling out where the holes are going to be.

This is why we had so many DB's. We were built to stop KC.
Had Mosley stayed where he’s supposed to, it would’ve either been a pick had Mahomes threw it or a sack because Hill wouldn’t have been open. It’s already been talked about and Mosley was supposed to stay in his deep zone but he took the guy who cut inside.

Had Mosley stayed where he’s supposed to, it would’ve either been a pick had Mahomes threw it or a sack because Hill wouldn’t have been open. It’s already been talked about and Mosley was supposed to stay in his deep zone but he took the guy who cut inside.

That, right there is the flaw with trying to stick to a zone scheme when you play against a QB that thrives on broken plays. When a broken play develops, all players are supposed to become, in Chatham's words "open field tacklers." 49er's did not appear to have a plan on how to respond to broken plays.

I would not be surprised to find out that they didn't do a single scramble drill on the defense in the week leading up to the superbowl.

Do you think Mosley would have taken the underneath route if he thought or trusted that it was covered? It's easy to diagnose from the all-seeing eye vantage of the all-22 tape, but it's harder to put yourself in the player's shoes, right on the field, and to see only what he sees.

All of the above plus the refs. That OPI against Kittle was awful. The DB is clutching at his arms and he pushes back and gets the call. I guarantee Kelce wouldn't have gotten the same flag. Also the shove on JG out of bounds in the 4th quarter is one I'm glad they let go but for Lamar Jackson or Mahomes I bet that flag gets thrown. There is just no consistency.

If the Kittle flag doesn't happen and it's first and ten from the 49 then Shanahan is thinking FG and kill the clock not TD. They would have continued to run the ball and more likely than not pushed it into FG range and won the game.

Also Bosa was flat out tackled a few times and they weren't calling offensive holding. I can't recall one on KC.

I'm probably still a little bitter that the last three times the Pats have played the Chiefs it hasn't been called the same on both sides.

Kyle Shanahan is like all of BB's genius without any of BB's situational awareness, like absolutely none. Twice in a roll in the biggest game of his life, he choose to do exactly the wrong thing in the same situation, and cost him twice. Unless he changes himself, this is just going to get repeated.

I was half ass-ed watching the game and missed the 49er touchdown.
They never showed it and I still haven't seen it.
They showed Mahomes running it in at least half a dozen times.

That, right there is the flaw with trying to stick to a zone scheme when you play against a QB that thrives on broken plays. When a broken play develops, all players are supposed to become, in Chatham's words "open field tacklers." 49er's did not appear to have a plan on how to respond to broken plays.

I would not be surprised to find out that they didn't do a single scramble drill on the defense in the week leading up to the superbowl.

Do you think Mosley would have taken the underneath route if he thought or trusted that it was covered? It's easy to diagnose from the all-seeing eye vantage of the all-22 tape, but it's harder to put yourself in the player's shoes, right on the field, and to see only what he sees.
I’ve only seen the play a few times, but I think Mahomes was going to launch it regardless of coverage. They were getting desperate ala Giants ‘07 helmet catch (sorry). Mosley bit on the incut with a LB already there. He had a solid game up until that point but that 2nd outside CB has been their Achilles heel all year and it finally bit them in the a**. Sherman also gave up two backbreaking plays.

Kyle Shanahan is like all of BB's genius without any of BB's situational awareness, like absolutely none. Twice in a roll in the biggest game of his life, he choose to do exactly the wrong thing in the same situation, and cost him twice. Unless he changes himself, this is just going to get repeated.
I can’t remember if it was 20-10 after the INT or 20-17 when they ran for 5 yards on 1st and 10 but then threw incomplete passes on 2nd and 3rd down. 47 seconds went off the clock.

I thought the game was over after the Tyrek Hill INT. Just atrocious game management.

I will say one thing though, Andy Reid didn’t f**k around this time and capitalized on Shanahan imploding.

Also Bosa was flat out tackled a few times and they weren't calling offensive holding. I can't recall one on KC.
Bosa is an absolute monster who has manhandled tackles all year long and abused Eric Fisher. The problem was that nobody really helped him out that night with the assist. He’s going to be a terror for years to come.

I’ve only seen the play a few times, but I think Mahomes was going to launch it regardless of coverage. They were getting desperate ala Giants ‘07 helmet catch (sorry).

Mahomes has got out of trouble many times by doing that "desperation heave" that seems to always find a hole in zone coverages. I'm just surprised that 49'ers didn't have a plan for dealing with

I blame jimmy

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye