PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Who are the "Core 5" Patriots from these last two SBs (poll)

THE HUB FOR PATRIOTS FANS SINCE 2000

MORE PINNED POSTS:
Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

Who are the other 3 core Patriots most associated with the recent championships?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
1. Gronkowski. Should be obvious. Outside of Tom probably the only player from this era who's headed for Canton (unless you count Revis but lol).
2. McCourty. 1st round pick on the 2010 team which to me was the start of the current era. A clear leader on defense and respected in the locker room.
3. I went with Hightower here, just because he's been such a key piece on defense and his big plays in the SBs. But now that I think about it, really Slater should take this spot. Venerable, locker room leader, and special teams ace.

The 2016 captains were Brady, Gronk, Hightower, McCourty and Slater. It would stand within the team they are the 5 "core" and most influential players. I voted Hightower, McCourty and Slater, and my main overriding memory of SBLI is the OT coin toss when Matt Ryan went out alone, he had to met these three.

I really enjoyed seeing Slater be the voice for the OT call, and his role in the locker room vids, had to include him. It is also the reason I think Hightower gets his contact. He is a defensive leader and captain already with no projection needed, maybe worth the extra $$.

Solder and Ninkovich are two others that maybe should belong in this conversation as they have been voted captains within this time period. Chung, Butler and Blount are core players maybe just under the 5, and hope we get to see Butler's leadership role increase in the future with the Pats. DA is just Mr Clutch in the playoffs.

I loved the sideline interactions between Edelman and Mitchell revealed in the mike'd up segments this year, it appeared to me Edelman took on a significant sideline leadership role this year in helping the WRs and also in motivating Brady. Mitchell's reaction to the "break his neck" comment was awesome. Wouldn't surprise me to see him captain one day. It was also a pleasure to see how closely-knit this group of RBs seem to be and Blount to me looks to have a key involvement in that. I suspect he to may be back too.

I don't know if this is the best Pats SB team I've seen over the years, but I think it really is my favourite.
I agree. It's interesting seeing how different in personality they are to last decade's core, while still upholding the values BB wants to instill.

What's crazy to me is this current core of players was, I think at first, taken for granted as an attempt to give Brady one last shot at another title; at the very least, certainly living in the shadow of the teams from last decade. But if they win another title- especially if it's next year- now I think there's a good shot we end up looking back and saying the 2010-2020 core was better.

1. Gronkowski. Should be obvious. Outside of Tom probably the only player from this era who's headed for Canton (unless you count Revis but lol).
2. McCourty. 1st round pick on the 2010 team which to me was the start of the current era. A clear leader on defense and respected in the locker room.
3. I went with Hightower here, just because he's been such a key piece on defense and his big plays in the SBs. But now that I think about it, really Slater should take this spot. Venerable, locker room leader, and special teams ace.

the truth is Gronk is the best non-QB in the NFL but the team went undefeated without him (when Brady was playing). Ont the other hand the Patriots lose both Super Bowls without Butler.

DMC & Hightower are vocal leaders on that D

amendola is jut clutch

the truth is Gronk is the best non-QB in the NFL but the team went undefeated without him (when Brady was playing). Ont the other hand the Patriots lose both Super Bowls without Butler.
I don't think the 'core' is constituted by a handful of clutch plays alone. To me it's more about the players the team is built around and who clearly provide leadership. Gronkowski has been a stalwart since '10. You can't use sudden revisionism based on his absence this year to diminish how important he is to the team; the mere fact that, up until this year, the Pats were basically screwed if he was out for the year speaks volumes. Saying he isn't on the Mt. Rushmore of this current run cause of injuries is like saying Phil Simms wasn't a key player on the 80s Giants cause he didn't play in Super Bowl XXV.

But also, if we were gonna go with your argument based on 'clutch plays', Butler had a crappy game last week.

It is a good - and tough - question to answer because I get naturally biased towards the players who came up big in the 2 respective Super Bowls. So I might have to say Amendola, Butler and Hightower, even though Amendola's regular season stats are underwhelming.

I have Hightower and McCourty but I thought I would throw a vote in for Gostkowski. Up to this past year, he was absolute Money in the Bank. With the changes to yardage all kickers suffered but he got the job done and unless there is someone on the horizon to replace him, he will be a scoring factor for us this year.

Amendola, Hightower are obvious choices to me. Was tough to pick between McCourty and Butler for the last spot but gave it to Malcolm because of the memorable nature of his contributions. I think McCourty and Slater replace Amendola and Butler if you're talking about steady playoff production, but I interpreted this as a "what players do you think of first" poll.

DA, MB, DH for me

For the two super bowls I get why a lot of people aren't voting gronk since we was only pivotal in one run...but if we are talking this current era he is second only to Brady. Mccourty and Hightower are the two other must haves.

I know he's not a player but.... Dante Scarnecchia? His coaching keeps Brady upright so all these recievers and backs can be in the conversation. Just sayin.

Just thinking, I made this a five player choice to make it interesting. Imagine trying to do this with the 2001-04 teams. Brady would be a lock, and I think Bruschi would be a given also, as I did another poll last year and he was clearly regarded as Mr. Patriot by a wide margin. After that, try having to pick three from Harrison, Law, Seymour, McGinest, Vrabel, Light, Brown, Branch, and Vinatieri. Yikes.

This poll made me realize even more what a true team effort these championships have been. Even on the Butler catch alone, you have HT setting things up on the previous play, Browner reading the play, etc. And that's just what's obvious to the fans. There we no doubt a number of other players we don't even recognize who had to do their job on that play for that outcome.

I can't pick just three. I liked most of the players on the list, even Big Vince

1. Brady
2. Jules
3. Hightower
4. McCourty
5. DA or Solder

No offense to Amendola, but how can a part timer be considered core?
Then there is Blount. Clearly a starter and a major component during his time in NE...but....the guy gets game planned out verses some opponents either out of choice or necessity. Not to forget, BB prefers Lewis when he is healthy.
Solder should qualify as core...but....missed games and missed blocking assignments pollutes my better judgement

My core 2014-16 players

D.....McCourty, Hightower, Butler (saving the SB in '15 despite being a bench guy earns Butler a special exemption)

O....Brady, Edelman

Last edited:
Other than Brady... Hightower. and no one else is unreplaceable. Heck one can argue that Hightower and Brady are replaceable. :) (I'd disagree, but you can argue it.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News