PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Who are the "Core 5" Patriots from these last two SBs (poll)

THE HUB FOR PATRIOTS FANS SINCE 2000

MORE PINNED POSTS:
Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

Who are the other 3 core Patriots most associated with the recent championships?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ice_Ice_Brady

I heard 10,000 whispering and nobody listening
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
This is a poll where you can pick up to 3 players. Just wondering, if you can pick 3 players, besides Brady and Edelman, you consider the most core players from the 2014-16 seasons, though you could consider their entire careers in context. I'm including any key player who has at least one ring.

In short, using your own criteria, who are the five players you'd be first to associate/praise for this championship run? THIS DOESNT HAVE TO INCLUDE SUPER BOWL PERFORMANCE ONLY. ITS UP TO YOU TO WEIGH THAT.

NOTE: The poll only allows for 10 options, so I removed Brady and Edelman, who I assume will be the two clear runaway winners, and limited the choices to three. Gronkowski is likely a lock, but I'll leave it to you to decide how much the injuries matter when compared to other greats.

So, Brady and Edelman are in by default. Who are the other 3? This is tough...I know I had to exclude a lot of key guys like Ninkovich, Branch, Flowers, Chung, Cannon, Jones, Collins, Revis, Long, Ryan, Lewis, Vereen, Bennett, Hogan, Mitchell, and Solder, but there are too many worthy players I felt held a slight edge. I did include Wilfork because of his all-time Patriots great status, even though he only played in 2014.

Brady
Edelman
Hightower
Amendola
Butler

DMC deserves to be in there but

-Amendola for his clutch playoff performances alone.
-Butler for the greatest INT in SB history + being one of the top QBs in the league since.

Making this list has re-emphasized we need to re-sign Hightower.

Last edited:
DMac and Hightower for sure. I would honestly say the other one is chung. Just not Butler because he didnt play enough in 2014

This poll made me realize even more what a true team effort these championships have been. Even on the Butler catch alone, you have HT setting things up on the previous play, Browner reading the play, etc. And that's just what's obvious to the fans. There we no doubt a number of other players we don't even recognize who had to do their job on that play for that outcome.

DMac and Hightower for sure. I would honestly say the other one is chung

Chung's another real good choice now that you mention it, but Chung's not nearly as effective without Butler and McCourty, IMO. Happy to be wrong on that point though. The importance of Patrick Chung cannot be overstated.

DA because he was clutch in both Super Bowls.

Hightower because he stopped Lynch on the 2 yard line by getting off a block from the o line and stopping him. Then the turnover this SB which helped us mount the comeback.

Lastly Butler, he was the reason we won the last SB, other than the Gabriel play he was rock solid.

Brady (...It's Brady..)

Edelman (Toughest WR in league..TOUGH CATCHES)

Hightower (Most underrated/key plays made)

Amendola (Clutch/ Timely catches/ Consistent hands)

Butler/ McCourty (Need I say more?)

Chung's another real good choice now that you mention it, but Chung's not nearly as effective without Butler and McCourty, IMO. Happy to be wrong on that point though. The importance of Patrick Chung cannot be overstated.
Chung was the only player who stood out to me in a good way in the first half against the Falcons.

Amendola and Butler didnt do enough on a week to week basis throughout BOTH championships to have them in my core. I think Butler is part of the nucleus and core that we have now, but if were selecting 5 guys from the last 2 SBs, i gotta give chung the nod

How long will it be until folks want to cut DA to save a bit of cap money. After all, free agency is less than a month away.

BTW, my votes were for Hightower, McCourty and Amendola.

Hightower and McCourty for sure.

How long will it be until folks want to cut DA to save a bit of cap money. After all, free agency is less than a month away.

BTW, my votes were for Hightower, McCourty and Amendola.

I don't think anyone wants to "cut" DA but rather they redo his deal just like in 2015 and this year. For those who have an understanding of price to value, cap and roster mgt, DA making $6m next year doesn't jive. Keep in mind, last year he played for $3m so a $3m savings is pretty substantial.

HT and DMC to me are clear cut. I agree about Chung. Gronk was a beast in '14 and was big for about a 5 game stretch this year when others were not producing much. To win the playoffs it helps to have the #1 seed, so Gronk was still big this year. I voted for Slater because special teams are about 1/3 of the game and Slater has been a rock. He is also a leader.

fascinating to see how two great efforts in both super bowls for D.A., plus presumably that Balt game in 2014 has created so much buzz for a guy that has 50 catches combined in those 2 years (2014, 2016) with 4 touchdowns....and 2 receptions over 20 yard 0 over 40 yards (reg season). Think about that for a second......2 catches over 20 yards in the entirety of those two seasons*!!!

Now take a guy like Chung who has probably played 95+% of the defensive snaps in 2014 and 2016.....I mean just think about for a second. The dropoff behind Chung in the heavy dime 3 safety set (choice between the a ST rugby player and a Stanford kid that can't even make the active roster) versus a WR4....

*excluding playoffs.

Rob, Dont'a, Malcolm.

fascinating to see how two great efforts in both super bowls for D.A., plus presumably that Balt game in 2014 has created so much buzz for a guy that has 50 catches combined in those 2 years (2014, 2016) with 4 touchdowns....and 2 receptions over 20 yard 0 over 40 yards (reg season). Think about that for a second......2 catches over 20 yards in the entirety of those two seasons*!!!

Now take a guy like Chung who has probably played 95+% of the defensive snaps in 2014 and 2016.....I mean just think about for a second. The dropoff behind Chung in the heavy dime 3 safety set (choice between the a ST rugby player and a Stanford kid that can't even make the active roster) versus a WR4....

*excluding playoffs.

Offense is sexy, defense wins titles. Even in NE.

The 2016 captains were Brady, Gronk, Hightower, McCourty and Slater. It would stand within the team they are the 5 "core" and most influential players. I voted Hightower, McCourty and Slater, and my main overriding memory of SBLI is the OT coin toss when Matt Ryan went out alone, he had to met these three.

I really enjoyed seeing Slater be the voice for the OT call, and his role in the locker room vids, had to include him. It is also the reason I think Hightower gets his contact. He is a defensive leader and captain already with no projection needed, maybe worth the extra $$.

Solder and Ninkovich are two others that maybe should belong in this conversation as they have been voted captains within this time period. Chung, Butler and Blount are core players maybe just under the 5, and hope we get to see Butler's leadership role increase in the future with the Pats. DA is just Mr Clutch in the playoffs.

I loved the sideline interactions between Edelman and Mitchell revealed in the mike'd up segments this year, it appeared to me Edelman took on a significant sideline leadership role this year in helping the WRs and also in motivating Brady. Mitchell's reaction to the "break his neck" comment was awesome. Wouldn't surprise me to see him captain one day. It was also a pleasure to see how closely-knit this group of RBs seem to be and Blount to me looks to have a key involvement in that. I suspect he to may be back too.

I don't know if this is the best Pats SB team I've seen over the years, but I think it really is my favourite.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes