PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Which Super Bowls did you skip?

SB XX was the first one I watched (8 years old) and haven’t missed one since.

Curious to see if anyone in here was as bitter as I was after the Patriots got knocked out of the playoffs and didn't bother watching the Super Bowl. We had a couple where we went out to dinner and the restaurants were essentially empty, which was sort of crazy but my family and I actually had a decent time on the times where we ended up doing that.

I didn't watch either of the Super Bowls following the losses to Manning in the AFC Championship games (both with Indianapolis and with Denver). And I skipped the one after the AFC Championship loss to Baltimore. Losing to Manning was irritating because that was right at the height of Brady/Manning and seeing Manning potentially go on to win was something I didn't want to spend time witnessing.

So I'm curious to hear if anyone else if I'm the only one who has skipped any of the games the Patriots weren't in for similar reasons.
I watched every SB starting with SB 1 up thru the 2001 SB. After winning our first, I've only really watched SBs the Pats were in.
Like you,Ian,I was just too pissed off the Pats weren't in it.
I completely skipped watching almost all of them,with the exception of one at a SB party I went to. Then only glanced at it.
If the Pats weren't in it I wasn't interested.
Brady/Belichick changed everything for me.

I didn’t exactly skip this one completely, but I’ve never gone back to revisit Packers Steelers. Hated both teams. This year may be the closest I’ve had to that year, although I can probably pull for Philly a little more than I could for Pittsburgh.

I don't even skip preseason games. No football until August? Sure as hell not skipping the final game.

It may be hate-watching, but I am always watching.

I haven't skipped any but some of the ones I least looked forward to were:

Dolts - Bears: freebie ring that we had in the bag and let it slip away.
Ratbirds vs Kap: Just pukeness at every level.
Donkeys - Panthers: Ineptitude bowl. Another one that should have been ours.

50. Foregone conclusion. The league wasn’t going to let Peyton not win that one.

Oh please. First of all Cam was the face of the league at the time. The Panthers at both QB and RB couldn’t stop fumbling the ball. That’s why they lost. Manning played like crap.

I haven't skipped but I've gone to bed early for BAL/SF and IND/CHI. The first one because it was a loathsome matchup that looked over. The second because after Hester it was all down hill. I also went to bed early during DEN/CAR but not until the last turnover hoping Carolina could somehow get it together.

NO/IND and GB/PIT were the best non-Patriot SBs of the dynasty, ignoring that I've grown to loathe AR. Indy and Pitt fans were so smug after 07 it was a treat rubbing it in, in the other direction. Tracy Porter I still owe you a drink should our paths cross.

Pre-Dynasty I always watched to the bitter end, even MIIN/OAK, WAS/OAK and PHI/OAK (yes the Raiders were in LA for the WAS SB) which was a train wreck and I hated the Raiders more than any other team at that time. The Fins were a very close second and nobody else was in the ballpark after that.

My Super Bowl abstention reveals the very spoiled nature of my fandom:

Super Bowl 41 (it started here after "faceguarding")
Super Bowl 47
Super Bowl 48 (tuned in around the third quarter and enjoyed it)
Super Bowl 54 (Overseas)
Super Bowl 55 (Overseas)

Might watch tonight. Our son wants to hate watch it.

If the Pats aren't in it and I'm watching, it's because I'm at a party, so I don't pay attention. If we don't watch, it's a date night where we don't have to compete with people for seating.

It is the big dance and finale to the season so I always watch despite the lateness of the hour. When Patriots are not a participant, obviously my interest wanes considerably in the outcome.

I skipped the Harbaugh Bowl, because I would have been rooting for the meteor. I'll probably skip this one too, not because I'm not interested but because I have no innate service to watch Fox on and I've run out of free trials of streaming services. So my choices are sketchy streams that never seem to work right for me, or paying like $50+ for a month of a service I'll only use to watch one game. If it were the Patriots, I'd do it, but not for KC-Philly. Just don't care enough.

Curious to see if anyone in here was as bitter as I was after the Patriots got knocked out of the playoffs and didn't bother watching the Super Bowl. We had a couple where we went out to dinner and the restaurants were essentially empty, which was sort of crazy but my family and I actually had a decent time on the times where we ended up doing that.

I didn't watch either of the Super Bowls following the losses to Manning in the AFC Championship games (both with Indianapolis and with Denver). And I skipped the one after the AFC Championship loss to Baltimore. Losing to Manning was irritating because that was right at the height of Brady/Manning and seeing Manning potentially go on to win was something I didn't want to spend time witnessing.

So I'm curious to hear if anyone else if I'm the only one who has skipped any of the games the Patriots weren't in for similar reasons.
I remember skipping the Seattle/Pittsburgh superbowl I believe in 06.. we lost to Denver in the divisional round the ben watson rundown on champ Bailey playoff game...

I skipped indy/Chicago superbowl in 07..

We're up 21-3 at halftime and then manning came to life.. told a poster on here had we resigned ty law that season we win!

Denver/Carolina 2016 superbowl I skipped that one as well..

None since I’ve started watching football.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
Back