PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Which Players May be Traded by the Patriots in 2017'

Status
Not open for further replies.
Chung or Mccourty would be shocking.
Edelman would be a stunner.
What if Carr looks ready?
What if Danny A is healthy and locked in?
What if Hawkins drops jaws?
Edelman is due a decent contract is on the wrong side of 30
However after Brady is my favorite Patriot and a fan favorite Brady's BFF but if the Patriots can get a second or third from some team thinking they are a dominant slot receiver away I wouldn't be totally shocked to see BB make that move.

OTOH, Edelman has achieved demigod status here, and he idolizes BB and TFB. I think if they make a fair offer, he'll take it.

My dark horse is Ninkovich. He seems to be on the decline and in his last year of his contract. He would be a case of getting rid of a player one year too early than one year too late.
Maybe a cut but who would trade for him as a starter at this point he'd be more a mentor coach on the field guy.
Team with a young defense with a similar scheme I don't even know who fits that mold.

Looks more probable than not that I am wrong. Which I am happy to be. The unexpected cuts/trades usually break my heart.

Among "name" players, I'd say Lewis and Chung would be most likely, though not very likely. Lewis has some competition this year, but at least two younger DBs (2nd-year or 2017 UDFA) would need to blow the doors off to make Chung vulnerable.

OTOH, it wouldn't take as much for the Pats to let Coleman go for a 6th or 7th.

If Butler dogs it up in OTAs, possibly.

If Brissett looks good in pre-season, the JG trade rumors will certainly start up again, but it could be Brissett who gets traded.

Amendola/Nink have no real trade value.

I have a hunch that Solder retires at the end of the season and that the Pats already know it's going to happen.

I'm just not seeing a comp to Seymour or Moss among the guys on this roster .

Only if Brissett shows significant improvement. 2014 Garoppolo looked a lot more ready to run the Pats offense than 2016 Brissett did.

True, but if they can sign a veteran back up this summer and trade Garrapolo to Cleveland for their first in 2018 they will get to pick from a much better class of quarterbacks than they would have this past draft.

If people are looking for a trading partner look no further than Jacksonville, Belichick loves making deals with teams he shares a week of practice with, e.g...New Orleans and Chicago the past couple of years. This year it's Jacksonville and I won't be at all surprised if they end up as trade partners.

The real question should be, who who will the Patriots acquire on our week#9 bye week?

As of now we have the cap room to take on just about anyone considering we will only have to pay about half their contract.

I don't see any major needs as of now, so injuries will probably play a key part in who we acquire.

Here is a list of NFL free agents.
Any team out of contention with a free agent player who they may not resign, will probably be at the top of our list.

2018 NFL Free Agents Tracker

Good idea for a post.

Looking back, it's usually been the D side of the ball, and scheme-wise a DL or LB makes the most sense as an immediate plug-in (with increasing responsibility as they grow) for NE.

It's definitely someone on the moderate to cheap salary-wise.

Add to that, there are only a few teams where both teams relationship, history and ideology match. Usually without direct competition, and usually from a non-playoff team. The CHI's and DET's of the last couple season, for example.

Once I filtered your FA list by all those criteria, the first name the popped out to me was...

Akiem Hicks in a trade deadline from CHI! Back for a 2nd tour!

There are many other interesting names on that filtered list as well. But I'll leave that as an exercise for the viewer. :)

Last edited:
True, but if they can sign a veteran back up this summer and trade Garrapolo to Cleveland for their first in 2018 they will get to pick from a much better class of quarterbacks than they would have this past draft.

Do you have a specific "veteran backup" in mind? Will he be a good as JG at running McD's offense by Week-1? Will he be even as good as Brissett?
Good idea for a post.

Looking back, it's usually been the D side of the ball, and scheme-wise a DL or LB makes the most sense as an immediate plug-in (with increasing responsibility as they grow) for NE.

It's definitely someone on the moderate to cheap salary-wise.

Add to that, there are only a few teams where both teams relationship, history and ideology match. Usually without direct competition, and usually from a non-playoff team. The CHI's and DET's of the last couple season, for example.

Once I filtered your FA list by all those criteria, the first name the popped out to me was...

Akiem Hicks in a trade deadline from CHI! Back for a 2nd tour!

There are many other interesting names on that filtered list as well. But I'll leave that as an exercise for the viewer. :)

I stopped exercising as a viewer when Jack LaLanne went off the air.

If Hamilton or Kilgo show much at joint practices or in the preseason, I could see a team giving up a conditional for them in a trade. One of our TE not named Gronk or Allen could possible generate interest, but it is remote.

Brown would (for me) be a surprise trade.

Branch is the most "out of line" player on the team, but we just resigned him so rare to see a trade.

This seems to be a team Bill has committed to because he really likes them.

If the Patriots were going to let Jimmy G go they would have done it at the draft. He is on the team to make sure we win even if TFB is injured.

In terms of players we might acquire (beyond the boatload we have already), linebacker seems to be a safe bet.

In terms of players we might acquire (beyond the boatload we have already), linebacker seems to be a safe bet.

We usually play 2 linebackers. We have only SIX that Belichick is comfortable starting: Ninkovich, Hightower, Van Noy, McClellan, Freeny, and Roberts. In addition, we have Rivers, Langi and Bates who have not yet shown that they are ready to start at one of the 2, or sometimes 3 linebacker positions.

IMHO, there are three positions where an addition can have more value, especially in case of injury: IOL, S, and DT. Perhaps folks are fine with our current potential backups, players like Douglas, Farris, Richards, Hamilton and Kilgo. Absent injuries, none of these 0-3 of these players may make the team. In any case, we could use competition for these actual or potential roster spots. Some might even dare to think that we might secure someone to compete with Karras for his job.

So, my BOTTOM LINE, is that there is much more depth and quality in the backups at LB than at OC, OG, DT or SS.

I think DJ Foster is going to be traded. There just isn't room for the kid. Shame.

I'd speculate Dion would be on the block however his upside is too great. If he is 2015 form look out.

If Carr emerges as a the real deal, I've also thought about DA being traded to a "friendly" like HOU, TN or DET.

I hate all of those scenarios.

We usually play 2 linebackers. We have only SIX that Belichick is comfortable starting: Ninkovich, Hightower, Van Noy, McClellan, Freeny, and Roberts. In addition, we have Rivers, Langi and Bates who have not yet shown that they are ready to start at one of the 2, or sometimes 3 linebacker positions.

IMHO, there are three positions where an addition can have more value, especially in case of injury: IOL, S, and DT. Perhaps folks are fine with our current potential backups, players like Douglas, Farris, Richards, Hamilton and Kilgo. Absent injuries, none of these 0-3 of these players may make the team. In any case, we could use competition for these actual or potential roster spots. Some might even dare to think that we might secure someone to compete with Karras for his job.

So, my BOTTOM LINE, is that there is much more depth and quality in the backups at LB than at OC, OG, DT or SS.

2014: Ayers, Casillas,
2015: Bostic
2016: Van Noy, Mingo

Seems like a pattern and injuries can come into play. I also am not sure of any of our LB outside of Hightower.

I see DL as being very well stocked. Branch, Brown, Valentine and Guy should play well in our scheme. Hoping to see Valentine's development mimic Hicks. Hamilton and Kilgo have interesting upside, but may be looking in.

If Andrews got hurt I would like to see Nick Mangold fly to the Pats.

2014: Ayers, Casillas,
2015: Bostic
2016: Van Noy, Mingo

Seems like a pattern and injuries can come into play. I also am not sure of any of our LB outside of Hightower.

I see DL as being very well stocked. Branch, Brown, Valentine and Guy should play well in our scheme. Hoping to see Valentine's development mimic Hicks. Hamilton and Kilgo have interesting upside, but may be looking in.
When you have one per two injuries at position that requires 2 players (occasionally 3), SIX is enough. We have enough players for 3 injuries, not even counting on Langi or Bates.

And if you are not sure of Van Noy, then you almost certainly would not be sure of anyone that Belichick might pick up.

I agree that Belichick might stop at 4 inside DL's. I would prefer 5.

Not as sure about DT, but it'd be hard to argue with you here.

Do you have a specific "veteran backup" in mind? Will he be a good as JG at running McD's offense by Week-1? Will he be even as good as Brissett?
If we bring in a veteran backup QB, he'll almost certainly be a third stringer, as knowledge and practice of the system would automatically bump Brissett up to the primary backup.

What does a dime a dozen practice squad RB fetch on the open market these days? ;)

If he has an AJ Derby-esque preseason they could get a 6th or 5th rounder for him.

I stopped exercising as a viewer when Jack LaLanne went off the air.

No veteran back up is going to be as good as Garrapolo but I would still take my chances for anything I saw as a high first, e.g...Cleveland. Bradford went for a first and a fourth last summer and I'd take that if it were the right team.

If he has an AJ Derby-esque preseason they could get a 6th or 5th rounder for him.
I think you may be a bit generous, unless of course, he really gains the attention of some teams this preseason, as you've mentioned. I suppose all it takes is one team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes