Which Players May be Traded by the Patriots in 2017'

Status
Not open for further replies.

PatsFans.com Article

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
Which Players May be Traded by the Patriots in 2017'

Steve Balestrieri

The Patriots always seem to make a couple of surprise trades either just before or during the season. Most times they bring in some veteran players who may not register much o

Continue reading...

(If you enjoyed this entry - hit the Thumbs Up/If not, hit the Thumbs down in this thread)

Pretty short list for a “may be“ hunch on such a deep roster..
__

Butler could be trade bait to bring in a high draft pick. If they wait until next offseason, Butler would be gone and they’d get little in compensation.

Im not sure if one whole season of Butler and a 3rd comp pick is such a little compensation compared to no Butler for a “high“ round pick.

And what high round pick are we talking about? It was great DB draft class and most teams got what they wanted in the backfield (combined w FA). Most are also thin on money so 4M cap hit (or something close to that in case of a new deal) is quite steep at the moment. Collins was considered clear 1st round trade value and he went for 3rd comp (albeit during the season but still).

Neverending salivation for high picks is quite an interesting phenomenon . but in the case of Pats fans fairly understandable..

3rd comp pick is always a nice compensation in my book . especially if you don't have to give anything up. After all - it is where the Flowers grow... (not to mention AH etc etc)

Last edited:
I say no way on Solder. We can't take that chance even if Garcia is a real deal. Injuries happen and this is a season where we can't have a ? at a key position like LT.

Butler
Garopollo

Butler
Garopollo

Only if Brissett shows significant improvement. 2014 Garoppolo looked a lot more ready to run the Pats offense than 2016 Brissett did.

Only if Brissett shows significant improvement. 2014 Garoppolo looked a lot more ready to run the Pats offense than 2016 Brissett did.

Agreed but if the offer is right BB may roll the dice. By right I mean some team lose a starter QB in TC and give up a kings ransom.

Edelman

The real question should be, who who will the Patriots acquire on our week#9 bye week?

As of now we have the cap room to take on just about anyone considering we will only have to pay about half their contract.

I don't see any major needs as of now, so injuries will probably play a key part in who we acquire.

Here is a list of NFL free agents.
Any team out of contention with a free agent player who they may not resign, will probably be at the top of our list.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/2018/

I say no way on Solder. We can't take that chance even if Garcia is a real deal. Injuries happen and this is a season where we can't have a ? at a key position like LT.

You can never have too much depth on the OL - if anything Belichick needs to give some shadow roster guys a look over for added depth

But although I love all that these guys bring, I can completely see Butler or Lewis dangled as some pretty valuable trade bait

You can never have too much depth on the OL - if anything Belichick needs to give some shadow roster guys a look over for added depth

But although I love all that these guys bring, I can completely see Butler or Lewis dangled as some pretty valuable trade bait

Not Lewis or Butler, who would want to see Gilmore And Butler on our secondary thats to 2 number 1 corners and don't get me started if Lewis plays like '15 Lewis on top of what we already have on offense sweet football gods :eek:

Those whom Bill (not necessarily I) could possibly trade/cut:

Amendola
Edelman
Dion Lewis
Garoppolo
Brissett
Butler

(Edit) I forgot to add:
Ninkovich
McClellin
Freeny
Richards

I don't envision any realistic scenario in which Bill trades Solder.

Last edited:
There is a common thread to the Syemour, Moss and Mankins trades:
  • They were all aging players
  • They were all a couple of years past their primes
  • They all had big money contracts
  • They all had trade value
The players who best fit the first 3 conditions are Ninovich and Amendola, but neither has much trade value.

Solder would not be an option to trade, because there is no way Belichick allows 2015 to repeat itself.

(So watch Solder get traded now)

Chung or Mccourty would be shocking.
Edelman would be a stunner.
What if Carr looks ready?
What if Danny A is healthy and locked in?
What if Hawkins drops jaws?
Edelman is due a decent contract is on the wrong side of 30
However after Brady is my favorite Patriot and a fan favorite Brady's BFF but if the Patriots can get a second or third from some team thinking they are a dominant slot receiver away I wouldn't be totally shocked to see BB make that move.

Love #11, but it would not completely shock me to see them move him. Obviously, I think NE is better with him onboard & the $$$ works for this year. So, it does not seem like he'd be a "must move to control spending" type...

You forget that Edelman isn't good enough to make another team's roster. Too short, too slow, not strong enough, but you can't just f***ing stop him.

I'm having a tough time imagining what they would get in return for JE11 that makes them better without him.

Last edited:
Brady.

Just kidding. Just figured I would put it out there before someone else did.

Even if Belichick wants to trade him, his trade value would be low because of his age and the perception that he is a guy who is just a product of Brady and the Patriots' offense.

My dark horse is Ninkovich. He seems to be on the decline and in his last year of his contract. He would be a case of getting rid of a player one year too early than one year too late.

I can't stand this "Trade Brady" non-sense anymore.

Wait, wrong thread...

Or is it?

No, it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back