PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Which direction should we go in for QB next season?

THE HUB FOR PATRIOTS FANS SINCE 2000

MORE PINNED POSTS:
Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

What direction should we go in for QB next season?

• Keep Cam

Votes: 2 2.4%
  • Trade for Matt Stafford or Watson

Votes: 11 13.3%
  • Pick a rookie in the draft

Votes: 70 84.3%

• Total voters
Yeah, but our pick is higher. So if we really want him we will have to take him.

But it does make it unlikely he lasts to the 2nd round
Yep. We’d have to take him at 15.

Add another team to the Mac Jones sweepstakes...

I think Jones is the classic guy who benefitted from having an all star team surrounding him. I'm hoping Saban isn't talking Bill into taking him at #15. FOB over the years have been both a blessing and a curse with their input.

I think Jones is the classic guy who benefitted from having an all star team surrounding him. I'm hoping Saban isn't talking Bill into taking him at #15. FOB over the years have been both a blessing and a curse with their input.

I think two things Bill looks for are a quick release and accuracy. I don't follow college football, but does he have both of those?

Let's go south to Jamaica. If we don't find our QB we can at least get blasted to the moon on some fine Jamaican boombalatty and lay around the beach in Negril....

I think two things Bill looks for are a quick release and accuracy. I don't follow college football, but does he have both of those?

I honestly don't know about the quick release. I'd have to go back and look. I don't remember thinking it was fast or slow so it probably is just within the norm.

Accuracy I would say yes but every game I saw there was no pressure and/or the receiver was so wide open it didn't matter. When a guy is about to get lit up and/or he's going into tight coverages you learn a lot more. Obviously everyone is better with a clean pocket so credit him for making the throws he should.

It doesn't matter. There are other deficits, a number of them. Next year will be another lost year. Might as well use the resources next year to build a team worthy of a decent quarterback. At this point, it's not close. No one should be surprised that Stafford - and no doubt others - have no interest in coming here. It's a lousy team with a lousy GM. So gather players next year (I wish we had a competent GM to do that, but evidently the Krafts are afraid that fanboys here and elsewhere will be up in arms if they do the right thing), then play them to see what you have. And let the losses pile up. We need to creep up that draft board for another year or two.
I don't agree with this at all.

The Pats had a brutal schedule this year both with travel and opponents, had no money in FA, lost a bunch of guys very late, lost four weeks of practice to COVID in the middle of the year (and with a young team that really needed a preseason), and had a QB who didn't look the same at all after his bout with the disease (pay attention to what Jason Tatum is saying - rings very true of Cam).

There will be a ton of value floating around via cuts (like Kawaan Short already) to be had without risking comp picks (which BB seems to hate).

Go get a true run-stuffer NT and maybe a solid 3-down DE, Hightower comes back on a restructure/extension, and hold onto Gilmore and JC and that defense is in great shape.

There are a ton of very good receivers hitting the market - grab two of Samuel, Davis, and Higgins, for example - and plenty of TEs (Jonnu Smith? Hunter Henry?). If McCourty is correct and Cannon is coming back, restructure him, bump Onwenu over to the left, and resign Andrews or Thuney.

Does that team still look all that weak to you? Because to me, these few upgrades playing on an easier schedule (NFC South is trash now outside of Tampa and the AFC South is overrated; plus playing the third teams of the west and north and one NFC division instead of the first-place teams) and that 7-9 season looks a lot more like a playoff team with just those upgrades.

Also, now that I'm hearing about Tatum's problems, I'm less concerned about a Cam return. He was really good before COVID (and looked a lot better in the finale than earlier).

And finally, there are a lot of guys on that team - Dugger, Uche, Cowart, Winovich, Jennings, Bentley, Meyers, Olszewski, Onwenu, Herron, Asiasi, Keane, and yes, even Harry, who are likely on the upswing, not the downside, of their careers, particularly if they get a full preseason this year. Ain't no way I'm giving up on next year no matter who gets in behind center. might not be a Superbowl team, but they can certainly slide into the playoffs, maybe even take the division (because Buffalo ain't all that).

Yep. We’d have to take him at 15.
A lot of mock drafts are starting to show that teams below us that want Jones are jumping to 14 or above to get him. I think most teams think there’s a good chance we take him there.

The Pats had a brutal schedule this year both with travel and opponents, had no money in FA, lost a bunch of guys very late, lost four weeks of practice to COVID in the middle of the year (and with a young team that really needed a preseason), and had a QB who didn't look the same at all after his bout with the disease (pay attention to what Jason Tatum is saying - rings very true of Cam).

There will be a ton of value floating around via cuts (like Kawaan Short already) to be had without risking comp picks (which BB seems to hate).

Go get a true run-stuffer NT and maybe a solid 3-down DE, Hightower comes back on a restructure/extension, and hold onto Gilmore and JC and that defense is in great shape.

There are a ton of very good receivers hitting the market - grab two of Samuel, Davis, and Higgins, for example - and plenty of TEs (Jonnu Smith? Hunter Henry?). If McCourty is correct and Cannon is coming back, restructure him, bump Onwenu over to the left, and resign Andrews or Thuney.

Does that team still look all that weak to you? Because to me, these few upgrades playing on an easier schedule (NFC South is trash now outside of Tampa and the AFC South is overrated; plus playing the third teams of the west and north and one NFC division instead of the first-place teams) and that 7-9 season looks a lot more like a playoff team with just those upgrades.

Also, now that I'm hearing about Tatum's problems, I'm less concerned about a Cam return. He was really good before COVID (and looked a lot better in the finale than earlier).

And finally, there are a lot of guys on that team - Dugger, Uche, Cowart, Winovich, Jennings, Bentley, Meyers, Olszewski, Onwenu, Herron, Asiasi, Keane, and yes, even Harry, who are likely on the upswing, not the downside, of their careers, particularly if they get a full preseason this year. Ain't no way I'm giving up on next year no matter who gets in behind center. might not be a Superbowl team, but they can certainly slide into the playoffs, maybe even take the division (because Buffalo ain't all that).
Agree, the Pats schedule was brutal (.527 SOS) but it won't be as easy as you think this year (.496 SOS) even with less travel.

There's real concern over offensive talented players wanting to come play for Patriots given their QB situation. If you recall, even when Brady was here, there were several WR/TE that chose to go elsewhere (even when offered more $$). Now, we're not only missing the GOAT but we're getting negative advertising from guys like Stafford and Amendola of all people.

We also need to make big decisions regarding our own free agents (Thuney, Andrews, Guy, White, Butler, Burkhead, McCourty, Folk, Bethel, Jackson) before we even look elsewhere. Some of those players are the best talent this team has left, if they walk, you're basically starting from scratch. There's also no guarantee players like Hightower, Cannon or Chung come back.

Almost all the other guys you listed on the team are JAGS. You also don't address the most important position, unless you mean you're OK with bringing Cam back at QB.

I'm not a nervous Nellie type just trying to keep my expectations in check. Getting this terrible feeling that the Pats have lost their aura of excellence and therefore their ability to attract talent, unless we draft it. Given the potential for high turnover means familiarity and communication may be lacking which may result in losses.

I'm guessing the same 8-8 record, like I did last year. Even if we split with Bills and win any one of the Chargers/Titans/Browns/Colts games, a 10-6 record won't guarantee a trip to the playoffs (MIA missed playoffs with that record). I hope I'm wrong.

Document-9.jpg

Agree, the Pats schedule was brutal (.527 SOS) but it won't be as easy as you think this year (.496 SOS) even with less travel.
New Orleans will be a shell of this year's team. That alone changes those numbers. I don't think the Bills sweep BB next year - 4-2 in the division is very doable. I'm expecting regression in Tenn, as well. Teams that lean so heavily on a big RB usually flame out pretty quickly, although Vrabel's built a good and solid unit there.

There's real concern over offensive talented players wanting to come play for Patriots given their QB situation. If you recall, even when Brady was here, there were several WR/TE that chose to go elsewhere (even when offered more $$). Now, we're not only missing the GOAT but we're getting negative advertising from guys like Stafford and Amendola of all people.
I don't buy into any of that garbage. We're not getting a "Brady discount," or SB discount, but the competition isn't going to be hot for most of these guys since so many teams have serious cap issues and will be shedding talent. Guys who don't want to play hard shouldn't be considered in the first place - and most of the "negative press," as with Amendola, is media nonsense. Watch his statement. he went out of his way to praise BB.

For most players, particularly the mid-listers coming off rookie deals, it comes down to $$$ and possible exposure. So sure, the Suhs and maybe the JJ Watts want to play for SB, but how many teams are out there with a realistic chance and will need their services? if you're going anywhere in the NFC other than Tampa, Green Bay, or maybe LA, are you really going thinking you're getting a ring? Why would any receiver or tight end want to go to Tampa and ride the bench? Heck, they might SHED a good TE and a receiver!

If this was as much of a problem as people here are making it, then why did teams like the Jets and the Browns win every off-season, and why did NE miss out on players with near-matching offers for the last two decades? Every player in that league who's looking to improve his game and exposure knows that BB is the best coach in the league.

We also need to make big decisions regarding our own free agents (Thuney, Andrews, Guy, White, Butler, Burkhead, McCourty, Folk, Bethel, Jackson) before we even look elsewhere. Some of those players are the best talent this team has left, if they walk, you're basically starting from scratch. There's also no guarantee players like Hightower, Cannon or Chung come back.
White would barely see the field this year on the Pats, barring injuries.

Thuney is a blue chipper - when have the Pats ever had trouble developing a lineman?

They can keep Andrews if they really want to.

I love Lawrence Guy and he wants to stay, but if he breaks the bank, it is what it is. He's not Aaron Donald. he's a solid, versatile DL. Same with
Butler - and I doubt the pats let both of them walk.

Burkhead might be all done. He can't stay on the field. Love him, hope he's back, but he won't be expensive (if he can even be ready to play in time).

Jason McCourty lost a step this year. He'll be back if he wants to, but he's not top end at this point in his career.

Folk probably won't be on the team. Not worried about it.

They'll re-sign Bethel, I think, even with Bolden coming back. Won't be expensive.

Patscap built JC Jackson's 1st-round tender into their calculation. With so many teams cash-strapped, you think someone will bite on that?

Almost all the other guys you listed on the team are JAGS. You also don't address the most important position, unless you mean you're OK with bringing Cam back at QB.

I'm not a nervous Nellie type just trying to keep my expectations in check. Getting this terrible feeling that the Pats have lost their aura of excellence and therefore their ability to attract talent, unless we draft it. Given the potential for high turnover means familiarity and communication may be lacking which may result in losses.

I'm guessing the same 8-8 record, like I did last year. Even if we split with Bills and win any one of the Chargers/Titans/Browns/Colts games, a 10-6 record won't guarantee a trip to the playoffs (MIA missed playoffs with that record). I hope I'm wrong.
I think you're wrong. This year was a train wreck and BB pulled out a 7-9 season. Am I okay with Cam coming back? Shrug. He looked pretty good when they let him turn it loose in a couple of games, then SUCKED after COVID. At the time, i was saying "COVID brain" and I meant it - Newton even said that things looked "foggy."

Exactly like Tatum (and several writer friends of mine). That should be cleared up - he'll play better next year. I think they can upgrade, though, and think they will.

Hey Tim Tebow retired today from baseball. Pats need a quarterback.

Can you say destiny? It's meant to be!! :D

I don't agree with this at all.

Well say now, that's certainly a remarkably elaborate array of delusions. Certainly few would be so bold as to hold up N'Keal as affording an occasion for hope.

We do, of course, have a few decent players, very few.

Your post reminds me for all the world of posts to be seen over at Gang Green for the past couple decades.

Well say now, that's certainly a remarkably elaborate array of delusions. Certainly few would be so bold as to hold up N'Keal as affording an occasion for hope.

We do, of course, have a few decent players, very few.

Your post reminds me for all the world of posts to be seen over at Gang Green for the past couple decades.
7-9! The sky is falling!

Why are you even here if you think the team sucks so much?

Look at the number of 1-3rd year players on the Pats this last season. Look at hte challenges at QB. Look at hte schedule. Look where they would up: middle of the pack.

never say never!

if the Jets and Atlanta pass on qb’s in the first round, I think lance falls to us.
You mean if they don't pick a QB, and they don't trade the pick to someone who will.

If the "value" of Lance is top 10, then someone is likely to draft him or trade for him.

And yes, we could get lucky. Maybe, everyone values Lance a t a lower level than Belichick.

You mean if they don't pick a QB, and they don't trade the pick to someone who will.

If the "value" of Lance is top 10, then someone is likely to draft him or trade for him.

And yes, we could get lucky. Maybe, everyone values Lance a t a lower level than Belichick.

correct!

never say never!

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back